What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixing Cracked Step WD-657

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Condition Inspection went really smooth this year but found the passenger side step cracked. Decided to remove and repair and since I had the interior removed, decide to reinforce the area on the left step as well.

I was able to find a copy of the WD-657 instructions here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/step_instructions.pdf

Instructions indicate just priming of fuse and WD-657 prior to installation, but the builder used a sealant of some sort in between the weldment and fuselage. It looks and feels like latex caulk? :confused: :eek: Seems to me priming according instructions may not be enough to prevent galvanic corrosion. Hence the builder wanting to use a sealant, albeit cra***py.

Has anyone used any sealant between the WD-657 plate and fuselage? Would this be overkill?

Last edited:
Duralac

I've not yet seen anyone use sealant in that area and wouldn't use it when I fit my steps, partly because a sealant can potentially trap moisture unnecessarily. I use Duralac to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals and think that this would be more appropriate between steel and aluminum (including in the rivet holes) than sealant. Duralac is available from marine suppliers.

mine fixed

I just did this a couple of months ago. I pulled both steps cause one was cracked. Had Russ weld them up for me. ( He lives 6 miles from my hangar, lucky me)
I painted with two coats of body paint and reattached them with stainless steel pop rivets.
I'm done
These had no sealant or anything for the last 20 years and everything under them looked good. Just paint under and on steps.
Your luck may vary Art

I just did this a couple of months ago. I pulled both steps cause one was cracked. Had Russ weld them up for me. ( He lives 6 miles from my hangar, lucky me)
I painted with two coats of body paint and reattached them with stainless steel pop rivets.
I'm done
These had no sealant or anything for the last 20 years and everything under them looked good. Just paint under and on steps.
Your luck may vary Art

Just be aware that stainless steel fasteners are not generally recommended for use with aluminum, due to galvanic corrosion. The Vans spec is for AN470 or MD-42-BS rivets to attach the steps... so yes, your luck may vary if you deviate from standard practice.

Last edited:
Back