What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone in TX with a Garmin GMA 245?

219PB

Well Known Member
There is an issue in my aircraft that I am trying to diagnose. Looking for someone in TX with a Garmin GMA 245 that would let me temporarily install to make sure that that my problem is with my 245.

My aircraft has the Dynon HDX system and my issue is with my AOA audio. When my plan was completed 2 years ago, the AOA audio worked perfectly. About 8 months ago, the audio went silent. The visual indicator on my screen still works normally. That ruled out an obstruction in the pitot tube. Oddly, all other Dynon alerts still work fine.

Since then I have recalibrated the AOA numerous times, swapped to my backup ADAHARS, and spent countless hours with Dynon tech support. Sent the log files to Dynon and everything seems to be in order.

One thing that Dynon recommended that made a marginal difference is to boost the AOA audio in the HDX setup to 100%. The Alert 1 volume in the 245 had to be lowered to 30% to offset the increase from the HDX. This resulted in the AOA audio to slightly beep just before rotation and the rapid beeping just before the stall. This is good as I have my stall warning back, but the mid range is still missing. That mid range is instrumental to flying "on speed" on final.

My latest conversation with Garmin is to send the 245 in for diagnostics. Before that I sure would like to know if the problem is truly in the 245. I am based in VCT and do not mind flying a couple of hundred miles for this opportunity.

I know where I can borrow one for you to plug in and try.
Doesn't sound like an audio panel problem though.

Back