What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Med

Nope. "State Licensed Physician" = no PA's or NP's. Only MDs or DOs

Last edited:
That's also my understanding

This is a potential "gotcha" of BasicMed -- people analogize the exam (appropriately enough) to the requirements for getting a commercial driver's license, but in the case of BasicMed a PA is NOT allowed to do the exam/signoff.

No, only licensed physicians MD or DO

This is a potential "gotcha" of BasicMed -- people analogize the exam (appropriately enough) to the requirements for getting a commercial driver's license, but in the case of BasicMed a PA is NOT allowed to do the exam/signoff.

As a physician myself, I see no reason a PA or NP couldn't do these exams. IF the FAA is nervous about it, have them do 2-4 hours of CE to get up to speed on what the FAA wants. Most AME use these folks anyway and sign off on their work.

A Doctor Doesn't Have to Perform Any/All of the Exam...

From FAA/AOPA..."All state-licensed physicians are qualified to perform a BasicMed exam. Advanced practice providers, such as a CRNP (nurse practitioners) or Physician Assistant (PA), may assist with the exam but only a state-licensed physician may make the final signature affirmation on the checklist."

Even if he doesn't do any of the "hands on" part of the exam, the doctor's signature and license number are required. Liability/responsibility is usually assigned to the biggest target.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

As a physician myself, I see no reason a PA or NP couldn't do these exams. IF the FAA is nervous about it, have them do 2-4 hours of CE to get up to speed on what the FAA wants. Most AME use these folks anyway and sign off on their work.

That may be true, but the FAA regs for basic med are very clear that a state licensed doctor is required to sign off. Last I checked, a PA cannot get a license in most states. You also may not NEED a BFR, but the regs require it none the less. I could go on...

Larry

Last edited:
I use a nurse practitioner for family health. She is affiliated with a licensed doctor. I went to her doctor for my basic med. YMMV.

That may be true, but the FAA regs for basic med are very clear that a state licensed doctor is required to sign off. Last I checked, a PA cannot get a license in most states. You also may not NEED a BFR, but the regs require it none the less. I could go on...

Larry

Let me clarify - my point wasn't the legal issues (FAA has made the rule clear and I understand it) but rather the ability of the practitioners. The BasicMed is exam is, well, basic - and well within the capability of those disciplines. That's all I was saying, as a commentary on the previous post in the thread.

DO or MD

Q41: I don’t have a doctor who is a M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) or D.O. (Doctor of
Osteopathy). I do use a chiropractor physician and a naturopathic physician. Can I use them?

A: The FAA relies on the determination of each state (as well as each territory and
possession of the United States) as to which persons it will license as physicians. If the
person holds a license as a physician issued by any state, territory, or possession, then he
or she meets the requirement as a state-licensed physician. However, the FAA
recommends that you check with the medical licensing board or authority in your state
for clarification as to whether other classes of “state-licensed physicians” are felt to have
the privileges, training and experience to conduct all portions of the Comprehensive
Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC).

Different issue of course

I was only talking "is," not "ought." :) I'm sure you're right that a PA or NP ought to be permitted to sign off on BasicMed exams, but as things currently stand they can't, unless a state somewhere recognizes them as licensed physicians.

I've met several pilots who were not aware of this.

So my PA did the exam and filled out the form on page 9. She also got her supervising physician's signature, but nothing else. So, should I get them to add the physician's license number, or get them to fill out the form again, this time with the physician's info, or I'm all good as is?

So my PA did the exam and filled out the form on page 9. She also got her supervising physician's signature, but nothing else. So, should I get them to add the physician's license number, or get them to fill out the form again, this time with the physician's info, or I'm all good as is?

I vaguely remember that the Physician must include their license number on the form.

When you return to the internet after the exam to complete the BasicMed process (which allows you to print out your BsicMed pocket card) the system will ask for the physician's name, address and State Physician License number. So yes. You will need the signing physician's license number.

When you return to the internet after the exam to complete the BasicMed process (which allows you to print out your BsicMed pocket card) the system will ask for the physician's name, address and State Physician License number. So yes. You will need the signing physician's license number.

In California, the PA also has a physician's assistant license number, and that is the number I put in after completing the BasicMed online course. Guess I have to do that over again?

Last edited:
In California, the PA also has a physician's assistant license number, and that is the number I put in after completing the BasicMed online course. Guess I have to do that over again?

Probably...who signed on the line that says "Signature of Physician who performed the exam"? And which information was put into the form in the box "Physician's Information"? If it wasn't the *Physician*, it's probably not legal. And certainly the PA's license number shouldn't have been used for the on-line form.

See Q46 of the FAA's BasicMed FAQs.

Probably...who signed on the line that says "Signature of Physician who performed the exam"? And which information was put into the form in the box "Physician's Information"? If it wasn't the *Physician*, it's probably not legal. And certainly the PA's license number shouldn't have been used for the on-line form.

See Q46 of the FAA's BasicMed FAQs.

It's a good thing I haven't been flying under this yet. Off to my doctor's office with new paperwork!

Here is a quick story of what can happen if the BasicMed paperwork is not done correctly. Albeit in this case the local pilot screwed up the whole thing from the get go.

Two months ago a local octogenarian pilot friend ran his Diamond DA40 off the end of the runway and got the prop and one wheel pant. This was at controlled field with commensurate tower filing an FAA report. This fellow had been paying hull insurance premiums since taking delivery of the aircraft new from the factory back in 2002 (19 years). All inspections and maintenance were up to date and the aircraft was airworthy.

The insurance carrier refused all claims. The owner/operator of the aircraft, who does not own a computer, read about BasicMed in an aviation magazine so he went to the local VA hospital and had a staff MD do a standard VA physical. And that was it. He did not take the online course and test nor did he go back and enter the physician's information. He just had the VA doctor's form filed away at the hangar.

The insurance carrier maintains he did not have a valid medical of any kind because he did not comply with the requirements of BasicMed or any other FAA pilot's medical for that matter. The FAA agreed because it was true.

Point here being that we all need to be familiar and comply with all the steps of BasicMed to the tee or risk violations and/or insurance claim denial. And maybe AOPA could make a little better concise summary of all the steps involved to avoid any confusion.

P.S. This pilot turned in his license and I will be putting this Diamond project online for sale soon.

Here is a quick story of what can happen if the BasicMed paperwork is not done correctly. Albeit in this case the local pilot screwed up the whole thing from the get go.

Two months ago a local octogenarian pilot friend ran his Diamond DA40 off the end of the runway and got the prop and one wheel pant. This was at controlled field with commensurate tower filing an FAA report. This fellow had been paying hull insurance premiums since taking delivery of the aircraft new from the factory back in 2002 (19 years). All inspections and maintenance were up to date and the aircraft was airworthy.

The insurance carrier refused all claims. The owner/operator of the aircraft, who does not own a computer, read about BasicMed in an aviation magazine so he went to the local VA hospital and had a staff MD do a standard VA physical. And that was it. He did not take the online course and test nor did he go back and enter the physician's information. He just had the VA doctor's form filed away at the hangar.

The insurance carrier maintains he did not have a valid medical of any kind because he did not comply with the requirements of BasicMed or any other FAA pilot's medical for that matter. The FAA agreed because it was true.

Point here being that we all need to be familiar and comply with all the steps of BasicMed to the tee or risk violations and/or insurance claim denial. And maybe AOPA could make a little better concise summary of all the steps involved to avoid any confusion.

P.S. This pilot turned in his license and I will be putting this Diamond project online for sale soon.

I'd say this advice applies to all things aviation: As pilots we are individually responsible for knowing and understanding in detail all applicable regulations. BasicMed is but one component. Perhaps even more so than the AOPA, CFIs might also include this in BFR ground school discussion? Not taking a position, just wondering if it makes sense.

Last edited:

No computer is no excuse. Did he not have an AME he could have asked? Honestly...

After reading this, I'm reminded of a couple of things.

1. A prop-strike and damaged wheel pant does not meet the FAA's minimum threshold for a reportable incident, assuming no outside property damage in excess of $25k or injuries occurred. Why do towers frequently "report" non-reportable incidents such as this? I've seen the same thing occur at my local field.

2. I know of a pilot that flew for several years with an expired medical because when basic med came out, someone told him that all you needed was a valid drivers license and he believed him. I set him straight and he immediately went and renewed his 3rd Class. Ignorance is not a valid defense, especially for a pilot who is required to stay current on the rules and regulations.

People that are blatantly ignorant to the FAA regulations are probably the same folks that bust TFR's and do other things that give general aviation a bad reputation and raise our collective insurance rates!

Skylor

Last edited:
I'd say this advice applies to all things aviation: As pilots we are individually responsible for knowing and understanding in detail all applicable regulations. BasicMed is but one component. Perhaps even more so than the AOPA, CFIs might also include this in BFR ground school discussion? Not taking a position, just wondering if it makes sense.

As a matter of fact, I usually do ask questions about medicals during a flight review. “If you got a third class medical at age 39 but are now 40, when does it expire?” Or, “With Basic Med, you need to renew the on-line class every two years, the medical exam every four. But one of these expires to the day, the other at the end of the month. Which is which?” Maybe a better question is, who makes up these rules? There’s a lot of confusion. But IMHO (slight thread drift) the situation is much worse wrt airplane ownership. No one learns what ‘hull’ insurance is, or the difference between an A&P and A&P/AI, the rules and limitations on sharing expenses, and certainly not anything about EAB. Just today I saw a post from a new owner, asking if he was allowed to change his brake pads. I would venture a guess that most cfi’s don’t know the EAB rules. And at the same time, there will be tons of complaints were I to charge for ground time exceeding the one hour requirement (I don’t). Not sure what the solution is.

Just another data point here:

Canada eh? doesn't honor the basic med stuff. So, if you want to fly to Alaska, you have to maintain a 3rd class medical.

schu

Is a medical required if the plane is no flying? If so then maintenance people would need one to run up a plane.

Basic med

Wow I have been using basic med for a long time now and I never knew you had to go and enter the doctor info online after. Where do you do this?

Wow I have been using basic med for a long time now and I never knew you had to go and enter the doctor info online after. Where do you do this?

The faa airman web site shows that they know about your physical, so you must have sent it in (at the end of the ground class info). BTW, it expired last month.

Back