What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ForeFlight doesn’t list G3X Touch in “Devices”

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I paired my iPad with my G3X Touch MFD today. Both sides of the connection said they were connected. But ForeFlight didn’t list anything under the Devices tab and I didn’t see any evidence that the iPad and MFD were communicating at all. Does anyone have a succinct list of all the prerequisites for the G3X Touch to talk to ForeFlight?

Confirm that you’re connected to the G3X system via Bluetooth?

A guy at our airport had a new iPad that did not have the latest iOS version installed. He had the same symptoms as you. In his case, loading the latest iOS fixed the problem.

Make sure all of these things are running the latest software versions.

iPad
G3x Touch
Foreflight

I and a lot of others have been running Foreflight in combination with the G3x Touch for many years.

Looking in wrong place for G3X

The G3X doesn't show up in Devices but you get a new option called "Panel" in the Send To function of Foreflight.

If you're at home go to Foreflight Maps page and open the FPL tab. If you touch the Send To icon (it is to the left of EDIT in the along the bottom row) you will see all the places you can send the Flight Plan.

When you are in your plane and connected to the G3X you get a new option called Panel in the Send To options.

The Panel is your G3X.

Everything is up-to-date. The Send To menu on Foreflight does not include anything related to the plane when I'm in the plane. I know it works because I use it with the FlightStream in my other plane, both sending plans to the panel and receiving them when I make a change in the GTN in that plane.

My typical source of trouble has been missing the fine print somewhere in the multiple thousand-page manuals for the avionics. While going through them once again, I found this in the G3X Touch installation manual, revision AN, page 2-14: "In an installation with multiple GDU 4XX dipslays, the Bluetooth connection to the tablet computer should be made to the PFD1 GDU only." I had connected it to the MFD as noted in my OP above.

Next time I fly, I'll try making that change and see where it gets me.

Everything is up-to-date. The Send To menu on Foreflight does not include anything related to the plane when I'm in the plane. I know it works because I use it with the FlightStream in my other plane, both sending plans to the panel and receiving them when I make a change in the GTN in that plane.

My typical source of trouble has been missing the fine print somewhere in the multiple thousand-page manuals for the avionics. While going through them once again, I found this in the G3X Touch installation manual, revision AN, page 2-14: "In an installation with multiple GDU 4XX dipslays, the Bluetooth connection to the tablet computer should be made to the PFD1 GDU only." I had connected it to the MFD as noted in my OP above.

Next time I fly, I'll try making that change and see where it gets me.

Just so you don't go crazy, in my aircraft with multiple GDU's I am bluetooth connected to the main screen, and under "devices" in Foreflight I see "Connext".

Back