What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

around the lake

A5555

Well Known Member
I have never been to the Michigan Upper Peninsula (UP) so I thought I should go. A quick trip just to look around and try my hiking backpack. A Thursday weather check for Friday and Sat looked decent. Book a AirBnb for one night and pack lightly. I looked out the window Friday morning and I was fogged in but it was a warm front and those usually burn off quickly. Weather was reporting 600 ft and scattered but it all burned off quickly.

around_the_lake.png

DSCN4692.jpg

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4694.jpg

I picked up three burritos (a pilots essential food, I have them soaked with Tabasco) on the way to the airport and was making good time. I had never landed at Dodge County on the way to Oshkosh so I made that a fuel stop and flew over Oshkosh to reserve my camping spot. there it is in the corner. the lakes around Oshkosh are full.

DSCN4703.jpg

DSCN4700.jpg

DSCN4709.jpg

DSCN4717.jpg

DSCN4718.jpg

Last edited:
continued

then on up to Houghton County airport. racing a Meridian on a long final, I checked my ego and let him go and then I became mesmerized by the calm air at pattern altitude and the surrounding beauty and peeled off to do some sight seeing.

DSCN4741.jpg

DSCN4750.jpg

DSCN4769.jpg

an EAA guy I met at the airport gave me a ride into town. I checked into the room and had a 1/2 pound cheeseburger and a couple beers, took a nap, and then walked around. it was light enough to take these photos at 10PM.

DSCN4784.jpg

DSCN4773.jpg

DSCN4775.jpg

the next morning I walked to get a nice breakfast and then put my pack on and hiked to the airport. I wandered around town some because I couldn't find my way. I don't have smart phone and I had left my paper printed maps in the plane but I found some people that pointed the way.... go up the hill, make a right and go 6 miles. the backpack was 20 lbs but way better than my old pack. I think if I was used to hiking I could make an avg 20 miles per day with that pack. on the way there, I stopped at the Quincy mine. I hear they give good tours. next time. I found myself whistling while I walked. I hadn't done that in a long time.

hike.jpg

DSCN4787.jpg

DSCN4785.jpg

DSCN4786.jpg

DSCN4794.jpg

DSCN4796.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

DSCN4793.jpg

Last edited:
continued

on the way out, close to Sawyer airport, I saw this huge mine. I wondered if they also mined copper there.

DSCN4819.jpg

getting ready to thread the needle to the Mackinaw bridge

DSCN4823.jpg

the Mackinaw bridge

DSCN4828.jpg

sometimes it's good to go and just look around

this one really caught my eye.... https://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm

Last edited:
Around the Lake

That looks like such a fun trip! Especially like the photo of the hiking boots on the wing of the plane.

That looks like such a fun trip! Especially like the photo of the hiking boots on the wing of the plane.

those are cheap grocery store boots that have been with me for 10 years. I spray them with scotchguard every other years.

wind at night

the airplane took a good wind pounding that night. tie them down well. take your own ropes because they don't have any. they used to supply them there, but as I understand they don't anymore because they go missing.

DSCN4798.jpg

EAA Chapter headquarters at Houghton. Todd Lewis is a nice guy there. I found everyone around there to be pleasant.

DSCN4801(1).jpg

Last edited:
Turn left! Drop the nose, cut power, and turn left! You just flew past Mackinac Island, the premier flying destination for that part of the country. The place is a must-see for any pilot drawn to northern Michigan!

Dang it! Now you have to fly back up there again. Life is hard for the RV pilot! ;)

I've never landed there but I tuned in the unicom and they were coming in left and right. I'll get back up there and buy some fudge. that whole area explodes with activity in the Summer.

Last edited:
Huh

So that’s what Houghton looks like without snow. I had responsibility (ran) winter test for our company at KRC for seven years….loved it, honestly. Something otherworldly about sliding a bobtail tractor sideways with ESP turned off for a thousand feet. The good ole’ days……great people up there.

I like your route up there.

Last edited:
Pastie

Love a good pastie , I spent my summers as a kid just south of the Mackinaw bridge beautiful place , looks like you flew right over KCQA stop in next time ill buy lunch , great trip thanks for sharing

Last edited:
I’ve lived in Michigan nearly six years now and am still exploring its beauty. We also flew into Houghton Lake/Roscommon (photo) just yesterday for a pancake breakfast.

If you’re ever back up this way feel free to stop at 45G. We have a flying RV-6A and RV-12 on the field, another 6A that only needs paperwork and an inspection before first flight, and I’m getting close to starting on the finish kit on my -7 project. We have breakfast EVERY Saturday morning at 9am sharp, and host several events throughout the summer.

Attachments

• 9852FE3A-70CD-4E81-98A2-3C93B5A4C281.jpeg
    9852FE3A-70CD-4E81-98A2-3C93B5A4C281.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for the Pictures and Write-Up

Steve:
Another 5-6 miles north of KCMX are the villages of Calumet and Laurium, the latter of which was the home of George Gipp (win just one for the Gipper). Calumet was the epicenter of copper mining thru much of the 19th and early part of the 20th century. You saw a bit of it a Quincy.
The red-colored pits you flew over are near Marquette, largest city in the U.P. and the red is from the iron ore mined there.
I agree with the previous previous poster - next time, stop at the island, take a horse-drawn taxi into town, have lunch, and explore. Glad you had fun.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N3223TP

Back