What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Tip Up Canopy RV-7

Geeman

Well Known Member
Removing Tip Up Canopy RV-7 to fix canopy leak

I am wanting to remove my canopy to work on the weather stripping and reduce the water leaks. I don't have the jettison handle. Looks like a number 4 bolt going through the holes. My question, how hard is it to get the bolts back in. Is the canopy likely to flex. Looks like there is a bushing that very likely will fall out. It is not very easy to get to. Looking for any pointers.

Last edited:
Since the builder screwed you by not installing the jettison handle (which as you can see has other uses), the best suggestion would be to work on the weather stripping with the canopy in-place. If you do remove it, while it's off, investigate how hard it would be to install the handle... For next time.

I have replaced the entire perimeter of weather stripping without removing the canopy on my -6 tip-up. I do have the handle and have removed the canopy when I needed to repair a crack in the frame due to a bad factory weld.

I removed the jettison handle on my 7 with no regrets, never plan on bailing out anyway and don't wear a chute.
I've had the canopy off maybe 3-4 times in 15 yrs, a nice center stack is more important :eek:
I used bolts also, not super easy to get too but certainly doable even for an old guy like me!
Make some bullets to help line things up when re-installing and 2 or 3 helpers are a must. No bushings to fall out.

access to tip-up bolts

If you're painted this may seem like a bad idea but I installed the access panel kit from vans and now I can easily get to the bolts on the canopy hinges and most every thing else on the back side (front?) of my panel.
It was about $25 I pulled my radios when I did it so as not to get aluminum flakes in the deep dark places of the panel.
danny

Couple questions on details

So,... barring use of magic,... it would appear that there must be someone in the aircraft to pull the pins,....

What is arrangement/ best condition for pulling pins? Thinking closed (not locked) with struts off?

Is that person just there for the show after pulling the pins,... or can they get out and help lift it,... I.e tilt up canopy enough to get out ( with or without the gas struts)

Is there a way you can “block up” canopy,... I.e. vertically raise and block essentially in place,..(yet let the person out) so you can get access to the front side for fiddling with alignment, weather stripping, etc?,... or once loose it needs to come completely off?

Anyone lift it off with some kind of spreader bar lift? I’m guessing not,... too critical, unwieldy... and easier to find folks than rig something.

And what else did I fail to ask about?

Risk vs reward

Yeah, I don’t feel all that screwed with no jettison handle, I also don’t wear a chute. Kind of useless without a chute. I was hoping to get some pointers from someone who has removed the canopy and what to look out for and maybe a proven method. I am sure it can be done, but looking for the risk vs reward. Can I do the work with it on...yes. Would it be easier with it off...yes.

Pulling tip up is easy. Pull pins, giggle arms up and back, then move forward over cowling. (too large and floppy to move off to side over wing)

Installation is the real pain, lining up the arms for pinning in particular.
With bolts, will need two or three people. One under the panel to place the bolts, and probably two to hold the canopy and wiggle the arms into place. (the pain part)

May want to consider some temp pins with tapered ends to get things lined up, then knock out with final bolts. (if there is enough room to the side)

Be sure to make some alignment marks on the hinges and subpanel prior to removal. This will help you find the right location to reinstall.

Moved canopy back solo and hopefully fixed canopy leak for good.

I was able to pull the hinge bolts and move the canopy back without any help. Moving blankets close to the canopy CG did the trick. I spanned the gap across the hinges with a piece of aluminum and then added a piece on top so that it was flush with existing. This made the gasket continuous. I also siliconed the corner.

To get canopy back in I moved it on each side like 1/8” at a time and could grab the side and wiggle it to get the bolts back in. I have the access panels. Probably been next to impossible to do it solo without them.

Attachments

• 27732ACA-2024-418F-B356-22A06E62A534.jpg
    27732ACA-2024-418F-B356-22A06E62A534.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 3E1C10A0-0818-4885-82AD-8606A144962D.jpg
    3E1C10A0-0818-4885-82AD-8606A144962D.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 219
  • BCF553D7-6D31-4B2D-9B3A-878AAE741369.jpg
    BCF553D7-6D31-4B2D-9B3A-878AAE741369.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 0B333B2A-898E-459E-BC87-4CD21AF645CF.jpg
    0B333B2A-898E-459E-BC87-4CD21AF645CF.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 73212589-42FA-421B-8D22-164956DB663B.jpg
    73212589-42FA-421B-8D22-164956DB663B.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 248
  • CC7A0876-0ABF-4CD1-8C2C-AEAE7F334DD6.jpg
    CC7A0876-0ABF-4CD1-8C2C-AEAE7F334DD6.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 229
  • F423676B-04C8-431E-8996-6543AF1AE451.jpg
    F423676B-04C8-431E-8996-6543AF1AE451.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
It is not that big of a job. Two makes it easier but it is very doable with one person. I have taken mine on and off several times with no help. Putting back together thing usually line up pretty good. Removing and putting back you will be standing on the seats.

Norman,....tricks, recommendations, cautions?

With the devil in the details,..... how about some recommendations on how to avoid......

Do you have a jettison handle or pins?,..
pre-removal configuration?
How did you handle and set after removing pins?

I have the jettison mech. installed only the parts on the pins no handle. I can get underneath and turn it to release the pins. Then I release the canopy latches, squat on the seat release the lift struts lift the back up. Pick up the back, clear the roll bar ease it backwards releasing the front hinges from their location. Pick it up and place it on the cowling which has a blanket on it. Reverse to re assemble. Not hard but definitely easier with two people.

I have the jettison mech. installed only the parts on the pins no handle. I can get underneath and turn it to release the pins. Then I release the canopy latches, squat on the seat release the lift struts lift the back up. Pick up the back, clear the roll bar ease it backwards releasing the front hinges from their location. Pick it up and place it on the cowling which has a blanket on it. Reverse to re assemble. Not hard but definitely easier with two people.

I did the same thing with the exception, I captured the actuation arm under the panel with a AN-3 bolt into a nut plate on the rib, just for piece of mind. I have had it off solo, but is better with two or three people. Glad not to have to do that too often. Only twice in 16 years.

Tip up canopy release

Made and installed the pin retraction mechanism with one hinge pin slightly longer than the other so that one pin could be engaged first before working on centering the other. Did not install the pull handle but made a bolt down short link to attach to the sub panel and the pin pull hinge link to stop pins retracting. I have the forward skin inspection panels installed which gives direct access to the hinge pin mechanism. I added two more of the Vans inspection panel kits outboard of the central area for better access to avionics.
Pictures show the general arrangement. Works well and reliably to remove and install the canopy with two people.
KT

Attachments

• CC1753F6-7261-47A1-876B-5E3AA6B28DA7.jpg
    CC1753F6-7261-47A1-876B-5E3AA6B28DA7.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 6434819E-F11D-473C-9AEC-5F1026FF7F26.jpg
    6434819E-F11D-473C-9AEC-5F1026FF7F26.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 141
I altered the release with a locking lever located to the far left behind the panel on the deck. With two people, open the canopy, disconnect the struts, the person on the left moves lever to release the pins and lift off the canopy. Remove, install, and lock the canopy while standing alongside the airplane.

I've had the need to remove my canopy 3 times in 5 years so far. So just FYI, I've found that getting the canopy off was simple since I have the emergency release hardware in place.

It's getting the canopy back on that I found to be very difficult in my first attempt. Since then I made some Delrin blocks that just fit underneath the canopy fork in the subpanel slot. This maintains the correct vertical alignment as you slide the fork straight in. Marks on the canopy forks provide the horizontal alignment.

IMHO building some kind of alignment tool is well worth the effort.

Back