What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel / Oil fitting sealants: Permatex Aviation 3 ?

EZ Turn/Fuel Lube. I even put a thin film on gaskets to help them find their seat. Spruce should have it.

Last edited:
I didn't have good luck with permatex #2 for some reason. Maybe I didn't tighten the fittings enough (but it was as far as they'd go without a cheater bar or something), but a bunch of them started seeping. I've been replacing them using Loctite 567, which has some lubricating properties, so it's easier to torque the fitting more. So far so good.

Loctite

I haven't had good luck with permatex #2...I have been using Loctite 567 for everything and it works great...

Not a fan of fuel lube...

Educate me

I'm not defending my choices versus others. EZ-Turn/Fuel Lube advertises itself as a sealant and lubricant. It has a long history as such. I've never had a leak in the decades I've used it (certified world) for what that's worth. Why are some folks claiming it isn't a sealant?

From Tech Data Sheet:
EZ Turn is a revolutionary sealant and lubricant for oil and fuel line valves. Resistant to high temperatures, it is
especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present.

If it is because it doesn't cure, that would be false reasoning. Help me fill in the blanks. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not defending my choices versus others. EZ-Turn/Fuel Lube advertises itself as a sealant and lubricant. It has a long history as such. I've never had a leak in the decades I've used it (certified world) for what that's worth. Why are some folks claiming it isn't a sealant?

From Tech Data Sheet:
EZ Turn is a revolutionary sealant and lubricant for oil and fuel line valves. Resistant to high temperatures, it is
especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present.

If it is because it doesn't cure, that would be false reasoning. Help me fill in the blanks. Thanks
In cases where it seals NPT they would likely have been sealed with grease. EZ-turn is liquid polypropylene IIRC. #3 is a non hardening gap filling sealant.

I used #3 for VW cases and threads for 45 yrs and never fail until I used it on my RV. I have switched to Loctite 567 and quite satisfied so far. 567 is made by Henkel and they have a lot of variants of this in many viscosities and cure rates.

This is probably one of those things that's easy to overthink. Permatex, LocTite, or EZ Turn are all going to be fine as a high temp sealant for NPT fittings. I've used all three for years in automotive applications.

I was replacing my fuel and oil pressure sensors the other day (the Kavlico recall) and noticed I had all three in the tool box.

Last edited:
@BillL.

Drop me a PM for my benefit if you would, please. You offered great insight and reasoning as always but the question still lingers. If the material is chemically non-reactive, properties are conducive to conditions, shear value is good, etc...

Trying to get myself smarter. Thanks

@BillL.

Drop me a PM for my benefit if you would, please. You offered great insight and reasoning as always but the question still lingers. If the material is chemically non-reactive, properties are conducive to conditions, shear value is good, etc...

Trying to get myself smarter. Thanks

Will do, but no magic or validated tests. :D

Back