What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex ELT G Switch

SeanB

Well Known Member
I’m installing an Artex 345 ELT. To enable a “G Switch”, the directions have you jumper pins 5 and 12. I believe the manual says anything over 2.5 Gs will activate the ELT. I can’t see a reason to have this enabled in a plane that’s rated for +6/-3 Gs. Seems 2.5 Gs will occur on a routine basis, especially with aerobatics. Am I missing something? Anyone else use this feature? Thanks!

Wouldn’t it be a 2.5g along the axis of the elt? (Forward / Aft - like a quick deceleration). If you mounted the ELT vertically it might be an issue?

Artex 345 ELT Installation

I have installed the Artex 345 ELT in my RV-7 project per the Artex installation manual, and have installed the jumper to activate the G-switch.

I am a first time builder so would invite those who have more experience to comment, and would defer to them, especially on the issue of aerobatics and G’s activating an ELT.

But I don’t think it is a builder option to not install the jumper to activate the ELT G-switch. It must be installed to be FAR compliant.

Without the G-switch jumper installed, the Artex 345 ELT will not automatically activate in a crash, which is the whole purpose of an FAR required and compliant ELT. FAR 91.207(a) requires automatic activation.

The reference in my installation manual is on page 49, as follows:

“CAUTION: THE ELT WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY ACTIVATE IF THE JUMPER G-SWITCH LOOP IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED IN THE ELT D-SUB RECEPTACLE”

The jumper is so it won’t activate in shipping (no jumper). You MUST jumper it.
The activation is based on a particular impulse curve, not static accelerations like in aerobatics.
Look for Eurocae ED-62B and the “ELT-AF” requirements, or the NASA work that resulted in the updated trigger profile.

Anyone else use this feature? Thanks!

As others have said, the G-switch "loop" in the harness is absolutely NOT optional. It MUST be installed.

To be clear, the G-Switch MUST be enabled otherwise the installation does not meet the FAR requirements to have an ELT installed.

Thanks for your replies and guidance, everyone. G-Switch is installed. Appreciate the help!

Back