What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 33-5

msmst25

Well Known Member
I'm just about to install the baggage area floor and the floor under the rear seats and the instructions mention to run wiring now. I'm wondering if I should just put in a length of conduit on each side. I've already orders Zip tips and I'm planning to use a wing tip antenna (QB wings still on order). What would people recommend installing before I rivet the floors into place? Is there a preferred routing for conduit if it is needed under these panels?

Hi Matt,

Take a look at others' logs. I definitely recommend running several conduits under the baggage floor. The main battery cable running to the front will take up most if not all of 1.

Best Regards,

I rewired most of my RV7 and had to drill out the baggage floor rivets for access. Looking to the future: I used nut plates to put the floor back in; just incase I or the next owner needs to remove it again.

PS if you choose to put conduits in, use smooth wall tubing, my plane had the black corrugated plastic which proved difficult to push or even pull wires through.

I ran 6 conduits (3 on either side) under the baggage floor. Better to have more than you need than not enough IMO. I also used the corrugated conduit from Vans throughout my 10 and never had any issues pulling wire.

Conduit

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to send one through the rear spar and 2 up through the baggage floor on the out board side. Total of three on each side.

I ran 2, 3/4 inch conduit each side and still added 2 more later. I used a shop vac to pull a string with a ball of tissue through for later pulling of wires. A double length of string allows me to pull multiple times. I just left the string in even when finished for possible later use. This way the type of conduit doesn't matter.

Thee are two possible routes. Over the spar in the side walls then drill through the inner wall into the first bay of the floor to go back. Or, using the flap torque tube space to bring the wire path inboard, just go straight back through the bulkhead under the floor with the conduit. These can be added later, after the floor is down, albeit a little more challenging than before the floor is down.

Back