What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get Tooling Wax

sblack

Well Known Member
In the May 2019 Kit Planes Eric Steward wrote about making gear leg fairings in his Rapid Prototyping column. In making the molds he temporarily offset the mold surface to allow for a joiner piece of composite, effectively molding in a joggle, using something he called Tooling Wax. All my google efforts have failed to find a source for this. It looks like a thick clear plastic tape but I would guess it can be much thicker and can be pushed in to compound curve shapes. Anyone know where to get it?

Thanks

Joggles

There are some awesome videos on YouTube by a guy named Mike Arnold and his AR5 airplane. He makes joggles with electrical tape.. several layers for the desired thickness, then regular car wax. Epoxy won?t stick and it?ll pop right off. Clear packing tape on other surfaces, or even duct tape.

A search for "sheet wax" pulls up a number of vendors, including McMaster. Their regular type softens at 185 F while the high temperature type softens at 220 F, I think. Various thicknesses.

Might be handy for a prolific composite builder to have on hand.

Dave

Ah ok sheet wax, not tooling wax. Awesome thanks. I would use tape but it is a compound curved shape which makes it difficult. Thanks for the help. I am familiar with Mike Arnold?s videos. They are amazing.

Used to use it back in the day as a fixture builder. The guys in the model making department always had a good supply. Used to be quite common back then, but its still readily available in various thicknesses.
https://www.freemansupply.com/brochures/sheetwax.pdf

The Freeman tech people are great to work with, give the tech line a call for your challenges, they sent me some samples. ( I already spent more than the sample value on waxes I could not use )

Back