What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit Order

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

About to pull the trigger on a wing kit order (slow build) - are there any items in the kit that are worth removing or anything that I should add at this point?

Some points
- I’ll be doing my own wiring - so I’ll remove any wiring etc.
- the aircraft will be IFR and with autopilot - do I need to add any items to support a heated pitot and/or the roll servos?
- I’ll likely go with flyleds as they are local
- unsure if a wing tip nav antenna are important at this stage.
- I guess a stall warning vane is not needed with AOA pitot tubes these days?

Thanks to all for your help!

Last edited:
Hi Trent,

I just completed my wings a few weeks ago. I used the provided wiring harnesses but I understand the desire to "make your own". You will need the servo kit from Van's which has the mounting hardware for either the Garmin or Dynon servos. It is "14 GARMIN AP SERVO INSTALL KIT" for Garmin or "14 SV AFS AP SERVO INSTALL KIT" for Dynon. I believe these kits also have a wiring harness included so you could delete that.

You don't have to install the wingtip antenna until you are mounting the wing tips. I would run coax for the antenna while you are doing the rest of your wiring runs.

You are correct in that a separate stall warning is not needed with the AOA pitot tubes. I filled the two small holes in the leading edge with flush rivets. Some still install the vane as a backup but I didn't feel it was needed. Don't forget you will need a mast for the pitot/AOA probe. I used the Dynon one and it fit my Garmin GAP 26 perfectly and was easy to install.

Last edited:
Hi,

About to pull the trigger on a wing kit order (slow build) - are there any items in the kit that are worth removing or anything that I should add at this point?

Some points
- I?ll be doing my own wiring - so I?ll remove any wiring etc.
- the aircraft will be IFR and with autopilot - do I need to add any items to support a heated pitot and/or the roll servos?
For the roll servo you want to order the installation kit, comes with various brackets and rod ends. Nothing should be needed for the heated pitot; HOWEVER, I found out that it is a much bigger pain to install the heat controller after the bottom skin is on!
- I?ll likely go with flyleds as they are local
These kits are awesome! I'm going to order my upgrade kit soon.
- unsure if a wing tip nav antenna are important at this stage.
Not unless you plan on installing the tips soon after building wings. I didn't install my tips until about a year later when my fuse was built and much of the finish kit done.
- I guess a stall warning vane is not needed with AOA pitot tubes these days?
No, this is something I wish I would have deleted so I wasn't tempted to install it. I will be sending it to a light on the panel as a backup indicator.

As far as things to add there are many: (these are all what I added to my -7A wing kit order. Some may not apply to the -14)

-Most add two extra longerons in case of the dreaded mistake on such a long part. However, I'm not familiar with the longerons on the -14 so hopefully someone will confirm. I doubt they are different than the other models as far as massive length is concerned. You do NOT want to pay shipping on extra longerons. The two extras I ordered in my wing kit are still sitting in my garage and will make for great 1/8" angle for various extras.

-Prebuilt fuel pickups.

-Flop tube if desired.

-Deluxe locking fuel cap.

-Nylon conduit for wing wiring.

-Extra bellcrank jig.

-Tank test kit.

-Various angle listed below (I would actually double the 063 angle as I eventually ran out. It comes in handy for many things where you don't need insane strong structure.
AA6-125X3/4X3/4X6'
AA6-125X1X1X6'
AA6-063X3/4X3/4X6'

-If the wing tips are held on with screws on the -14 but you want to go with the hinge method order the appropriate hinges as well.

Thanks to all for your help!

Also, order many many more clecos unless you have at least 1000 on hand! :)

The RV-14 fuselage kit includes the longerons. There is not a full length longeron as in earlier kits, so they don’t have to go in the spar crate.

The wing kit includes a fuel tank leak test kit.

You should order the appropriate kits for your avionics as desired. I got the GMU 22 kit to put my magnetometer in the wing and the aileron trim kit. I already had the autopilot servo installation kit since I built the fuselage first.

Stock up on pro seal, of course.

I can’t think of anything to remove from the kit other than the wiring harness pieces.

The things I got & forgot for my wings

Hi Trent,

I?m not fully aware of the differences between a -14 & a -9, but this is what I got with my wing kit a few months ago.

Ordered extra j-stringers, and got through a local Dynon rep the roll servo, roll servo mount, pitot mast & heated AOA pitot. I also got the Dynon AOA pitot install kit with all the tubes & fittings to run through the wings. He also suggested I mount the OAT probe out in the wing so I got that also. I forgot to order the pre-made Van?s fuel pick-up tube, so got those in a separate order (d?oh!). Personally I suggest holding off a little bit to order pro-seal until the tanks are just about ready to river that way it?ll be fresh when you?re ready to go. It?s fairly cheap to order through Van?s anyway & makes it to Oz in a week or two.

I already had the FLYleds wiring loom, and I know you?ve got all the connectors you need, but perhaps more wire and allow for 14AWG and 10A connectors for pitot heat.

Thanks all,

So in summary, it sounds like so long as I leave the bottom skins off, I don’t need to make many of these decisions now, however the following could be done with the wing build if desired:
- buy a pitot mast from somewhere? and install it. Perhaps: https://www.ozpilot.com.au/gretz-aero-paintable-pitot-mount--pbk12
- aileron trim kit (https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...3472389-80-552&browse=airframe&product=ea-kit)
- magnetometer mount - I thought the left wing already had an AHARS mount included? Having said that I can’t see it in the plans. [edit: found the adahrs tray in the left wing] Do many people go with the pitot in the right wing since the adahrs mount is in the left wing?
-run the dynon pitot/aoa lines as well? (Can’t see why this would fit a Garmin pitot tube if unneeded it to?) https://www.ozpilot.com.au/dynon--pitot-static-aoa-pneumatic-installation-kit

A couple more queries:

What size bushings should i install in the ribs? I figure I may as well just updrill the 2 upper most ones to 1/2” and leave the lower most one for just the nav coax antenna? (To give some distance from the other wires for noise).

What is the fuel pickup tube? From what I can see from the plans, there is just the va261 fuel strainer in the bottom of the tank and the fuel feel line goes on this? Do I need to install any additional fittings in the tank in case I end up with EFI and need a return line?

As far as I can see from the plans, the kit already includes the mount for either a dynon or Garmin roll servo? (w-823-ap).

Do I need to order any landing light mounts for the FlyLED’s Kit? (I don’t think so - I think they fit the standard mount plate w00017)

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Last edited:
Do I need to order any landing light mounts for the FlyLED?s Kit? (I don?t think so - I think they fit the standard mount plate w00017)
Hi Trent
If you have a look at the OP-52A plans I think you'll find that you can easily fabricate some angles that would do the equivalent job of the Van's parts for either the Combo or Seven Stars landing lights.
Or, you could mount the lights directly to W-00017 and perhaps add some spacers if required for aiming the light.

If some RV-14 customers would like to send me some photos of how you mounted your Flyleds lights in your leading edge light bay I'd appreciate it!

Hi Trent
If you have a look at the OP-52A plans

Thanks Paul. That helped a lot. So I’ll install the w00017 as per the plans (with the side nutplates for the bolts) and when the time comes it shouldn’t be too hard to make a couple of angles into this position as you say to hold the plate your lights are mounted to. (And this would allow up and down adjustment). I might even add a couple more nutplates a side (top and bottom) and trace a template for copying the holes at a later date more easily.

Aileron Trim

Trent,

Aileron trim is available for RV10's. It has not been a big issue for me in my RV14, but from time to time I think I would have enjoyed having installed the aileron trim. Not a deal breaker, but while you are there, I'd suggest it as an option, not a huge dollar issue.

The LED landing lights for RV's built in your home town of Melbourne are outstanding, do not overlook.

Alan
(hope you are looking after my tools)

This was the list I came up with for the changes to the wing kit (I think it will end up costing more!):

Stock Code Description Qty Action
CAV-110 Drain Valve 2 Replace with 2 x Curtis CCA-1550
Plastic Tie Wrap 4" 4"Plastic ZIP Tie 50 Delete
ES31890 #18-22WIRE/#8 RING 1 Delete
ES36154 #18-22WIRE/AN3RING 1 Delete
ES DV18-188B-M Motor Connectors 1 Delete
ES E22-50K Micro SW Switch Stall Warner 1 Delete
ES-00045 Molex RCPT MFIT 6 POS USE ES-0004 1 Delete
VA-195A STALL WARN PLT RV-12 1 Delete
VA-195B Stall Warn Plate 1 Delete
VA-196 Stall Warn Vane 1 Delete
WH-00077 AP Termination 1 Delete
WH-00011 Wing Tip Lite Harness 2 Delete
WH-00012 Adahrs Harness 1 Delete
WH-00013 AP Servo Harness 1 Delete

EA-10 KIT Electric Aileron Trim Kit 1 ADD
AA6-125X3/4X3/4X6' Angle 1 ADD
AA6-125X1X1X6' Angle 1 ADD
AA6-063X3/4X3/4X6' Angle 1 ADD
W730 Bellcrank Jig 1 ADD 1x Additional
W-00014 Landing Light Lens 1 ADD 1x Additional
AN257-P3X6' 1 1/4 Hinge 2 ADD
AN257-P4X6' 1 1/2 Hinge 2 ADD

Note that I elected to leave the fuel caps as they are for now since I need to do some more research on this, and also kept the vans pitot tube as a backup. I?ll order a gretz mast locally, as well as pitot and aoa lines and fittings from a local pneumatic supplier, and electrical I?ll worry about later.

Outstanding questions:
- What fuel caps are people using? Are most -14?s flying with the stock plastic caps?
- what size holes did people drill for the bushings? Go as large as possible to give flexibility?

Back