What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

Geeman

Well Known Member
Going to Vegas this weekend to see my daughter. Thinking of a quick trip to Grand Canyon. Looking for pointers. Been studying the charts and airspace. Any recommendations on routes or best corridor. Thanks.

Did it a few years ago from North Las Vegas in a rented 182.

Chose the area around Canyon West, followed the proscribed safety heights and landed at Canyon West.

Not far to walk to the edge of the big ditch and we had a look over.

Skywalk not far away as well.

Not as BIIIIIIIIIIG as at the visitor center but much more accessible and still very spectacliar ;)

Grand Canyon West is a fun idea for a quick stop. I would park well away from the building and facilities and take a walk. The owners have been known to charge for using their airport.
There is a rim view a short walk though, away from their landing pads.
If you widen your turn to final, you can see the Skywalk clearly from above. Technically it is in the no fly area... but no one seems to care. Your mileage could be different. Have fun !!!

Going to Vegas this weekend to see my daughter. Thinking of a quick trip to Grand Canyon. Looking for pointers. Been studying the charts and airspace. Any recommendations on routes or best corridor. Thanks.

Most of the GC corridors are easily followed (but high at 10.5 to 12.5), you could land at Bar 10 ranch on North side but call ahead for lunch (not near as good as Sedona. The GC Airport on South side is a short walk to town, but may be able to get the FBO there to give you a ride. Once in GC Village you can catch the shuttle to the South Rim and have a nice walk. Food on South rim is not great, basically tourist trap dinning.
IF you have time, my recommendation is to fly over GC North rim via the Fossil or Dragon Corridors, north to Bryce Canyon, then cross over Glen Canyon (Lake Powell) proceed to Sedona for Lunch at the airport restaurant which is very good). there is cheap fuel usually just northwest of Sedona at Clark Memorial (CMR). and return to Henderson/LAS. If you leave before sunrise it is the best flight option around as you would hit Bryce at the perfect time. In an RV 7 would take about 4 hours for entire round trip.
You could divert and go to Monument Valley and then south to Asteroid Crater near Flagstaff enroute to Sedona.

Just took my -10 from Tampa to Sedona and back. I agree that the circular tour north, then eastern end, meteor crater then Sedona. There is a hotel at the airport with spectacular views. After lunch it can be pretty rough from thermal turbulence. Have a brew and stay overnight!

Grand Canyon west

The airport is nice, they DON?T charge the landing fee anymore! You?ll want to park on the south side of the ramp away from the tour aircraft parking, often the Unicom operator will talk to you about where to park. There is a gate there and the code is on the inside, I think 12345.. Traffic pattern is west, so right traffic when landing south, left traffic landing north.

good thing

Good to hear the tribe is not charging to land there.
Though they just raised the fee to drive in to Diamond Down for river runners by a factor of 1000%. Hope they don't take a similar view of those wanting to stretch at their airport.
The corridors are easy to manage as mentioned and give a good high alt. view. GC airport is easy as well. With shuttle vans to the rim out front.

Last edited:
Back