What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Following-How Short Of A Flight Is Too Short?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Is asking for VFR Flight Following for a short flight of 15-20 minutes or so considered a nuisance to the controllers? I fly in the SF Bay Area so it's a bit congested. Having FF for even my shorter flights would be beneficial to me.

Flight following is on a "work-load available" basis; e.g., if they're too busy, they'll just say so. Here in the bay area there's enough traffic that controller's areas are pretty small, e.g., it's likely that even on a short flight you'll be handed off to someone else one or more times, so they won't care how short your flight is. I say just ask and don't worry about it.

Can't speak to SFO area, nor do I have any ATC background, but every time I've been at a fly-in seminar with ATC panelists, their response has consistently been that, workload permitting, they prefer talking to everyone who shows up on their screen. They like predictability. They have no control over people they are not talking to.

Since 911 there has been a priority on getting more aircraft onto flight following. Supervisors frown on the controller telling too many that they are busy. If your flight doesn't take you into Charlie, you can do without if you want and if you get close to Charlie or Bravo horizontally or in altitude, you just might get a phone number to call when you land. They would rather talk with you on the radio than deal with the paperwork of resolving any alerts you may have caused.

I often use flight following across the Los Angeles basin on an 18 minute flight. I get handed off to BUR twr, SoCal app 124.6 (or 135.05 depending on time of day), app 125.5, and CNO twr 118.5. If I don't use flight following, I have to go around/under Burbank's Class C near rising terrain. I prefer flight following to making detours and dodging everybody's airspace.

Ed Holyoke

I use it regularly on a 33-mile trip into an untowered field under Class C, they are always happy to talk to me as I'm crossing the approach path for the big iron.

I fly out of Hayward and get the impression that they would like you to be with them while flying under the bravo. I'd use them while flying across to HAF.

If I get close to Charlie or Bravo airspace, why would I get a number to call when I land?.

You won't for getting close.

As others have said, ATC personnel consistently and regularly tell pilots when asked that they would much rather have the opportunity to talk with you than not. If they're unable for some reason, they'll tell you - That word is in their glossary, too. :)

I got flight following for a 15 minute flight between two Class C's today. No big deal. I think the controllers appreciate knowing who's up there.

It's gotten to be automatic for every non IFR flight for me. No matter how short or long. I have to ASK for them not to do flight following.

From my standpoint I think it is good. The radio work is essentially the same. IFR or Flight follow. Talking to the same folks. Even know some of their names now.

I always try to get flight following - no matter how short the flight! Often I?ll fly from KRQO (El Reno airport) to KHSD (Sundance airport), a distance of less than 20 miles with both airports non-towered. But because I cut across a small sliver of class C airspace I want to be in contact with approach control. That way they can advise me of traffic and if necessary provide a vector. Like others have said, it?s nice to communicate.

With regard to Flight Following, be aware that it is imperative that you formally terminate FF with the controller (or ATCT if applicable) when you no longer require or desire FF services. If you fail to cancel or otherwise lose radio contact, the controller has to assume that you have gone missing or are potentially in distress. ATC will then endeavor to locate your aircraft to determine your flight status -- perhaps a lot of wasted time and energy. So, be sure to cancel when you are finished with FF.

Originally Posted by Harvey rv12 View Post
If I get close to Charlie or Bravo airspace, why would I get a number to call when I land?.

I'm not sure if it's as true today as it used to be, but with the accuracy of charts and the accuracy of controller's radar systems, you might be shown to be in Class B or C by ATC, though you may not actually be in them. That's why some recommend giving them at least a 2 mile lateral margin and a few hundred foot altitude margin.

Exactly right. The altitude you show on your panel might be different from what your mode C is putting out and they have proximity alarms that go off when they think you "may" have busted their airspace. I got chewed out for flying over a corner of a Charlie at an appropriate VFR altitude because it wasn't a lot higher than the top of the airspace. They advised me that they had reviewed their radar tapes and I "probably" hadn't busted their airspace and I wasn't being violated, but just the same it's not a comfortable call to make. They advised me to please call for flight following next time. The only reason I hadn't was that I didn't know what the right frequency was in that area after having exited the special flight rules area (VFR corridor). VFR corridor is great, but they terminate flight following when you enter it. I had told them my destination. You would think they would have given me the frequency to pick them up again on the south side. I didn't think to ask for it.

Ed Holyoke

If I'm going up on a local flight I don't use them but every time I leave my local area I give them a ring. Only once did I ever get told no because of their workload. I had figured the "no" was coming because the controller nearly sounded like an auctioneer. :)

Last edited:

I came over Agua Dulce (L70) on my way towards LAX and flew around the western side of BUR's Class C at 3500' one afternoon several years ago and got a "call this number" when I landed at TOA. It was SoCal tracon almost begging me to call them anytime I'm in the area because apparently I caused a couple jets some headache trying to land at BUR.

I came over Agua Dulce (L70) on my way towards LAX and flew around the western side of BUR's Class C at 3500' one afternoon several years ago and got a "call this number" when I landed at TOA. It was SoCal tracon almost begging me to call them anytime I'm in the area because apparently I caused a couple jets some headache trying to land at BUR.

Same area similar story AFTER I called for FF. They implored me with a lot of attitude to make the request mucho much earlier in spite of a legal vfr flight up to the FF request. I get it they?re juggling a crowded sky.

I'm not sure if it's as true today as it used to be, but with the accuracy of charts and the accuracy of controller's radar systems, you might be shown to be in Class B or C by ATC, though you may not actually be in them. That's why some recommend giving them at least a 2 mile lateral margin and a few hundred foot altitude margin.

Understand this thread is about ATC and Flight Following. Additional info along those lines when it comes to Class D operations. ATC/control tower Phone connectivity. Regarding lost com or no radio. Do not count on always finding phone number in the chart supplement when you need it or even to have for planning. Was informed by AOPA that FAA did not encourage calls to towers because most towers only had one person operating in the cab. The last convenient list from AOPA was 2005-2006. Some numbers are there, even approach, but not all. Check first.

Last edited:

A couple of years ago I was south bound to Mallards Landing and although I was going to stay clear of the Brovo I called up and requested FF.

ATL approach started vectoring me all over the place so I told them I wanted to cancel.

A funny thing happened, the asked me to stay with them and cleared me direct to my destination.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was south bound to Mallards Landing and although I was going to stay clear of the Brovo I called up and required FF.

ATL approach started vectoring me all over the place so I told them I wanted to cancel.

A funny thing happened, the asked me to stay with them and cleared me direct to my destination.

My experience is near Class B airports, they really like talking to you. If you are not talking to them, they have no idea what you are going to do and often creates a lot of drama for them and the IFR pilots. If they can coordinate your activity or even know what you intend to do eliminates all that drama.

I often monitor Chicago approach when coming home VFR, without FF, and will jump in when I know they are calling me out as a warning to another IFR pilot. They typically seem quite happy to be talking to me. In order to get into my airport, we fly about 1000' below the two congo lines of jets on approach to ORD, when landing from the West. And when DPA is landing south, my path directly intersects their approaches.

Larlry

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was south bound to Mallards Landing and although I was going to stay clear of the Brovo I called up and requested FF.

I had a very similar incident crossing the top of DFW just above the Bravo several years ago.

Other Advantages of Flight Following...

If you have an emergency, you've got help right now. In the press of a button (rather than digging for a frequency), ATC can help run down your options - headings and distances to available airports, following you down, help on the way, etc.
Unlike the flight plans of old, if they've got radar contact, they know exactly where you are and can even help with things like new headings for weather avoidance.
Most importantly, you're already paying for the service - why not use it!
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Back