What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Falcon Gauge altimeter problem

N282RV

Well Known Member
Purchased a 20K sensitive altimeter in 2008, new from falcon. Have not flown yet but am getting close. The altimeter reads about 19K ft high! It has never been flown. Baro is about 700 ft off as well if I ignored the 10K ft needle. Called falcon and its basically an exchange program with discounted pricing from buying a new one. Is mine a rarity or do these china altimeters just quit working after a few years?
I will probably acquire one from a donor plane that is not going to be flying soon but I wanted a nice new altimeter...and I already bought one, don't think Ill buy two.
Anyone opened on up? At this point i cant do any harm to it for educational purposes.

Purchased a 20K sensitive altimeter in 2008, new from falcon. Have not flown yet but am getting close. The altimeter reads about 19K ft high! It has never been flown. Baro is about 700 ft off as well if I ignored the 10K ft needle. Called falcon and its basically an exchange program with discounted pricing from buying a new one. Is mine a rarity or do these china altimeters just quit working after a few years?
I will probably acquire one from a donor plane that is not going to be flying soon but I wanted a nice new altimeter...and I already bought one, don't think Ill buy two.
Anyone opened on up? At this point i cant do any harm to it for educational purposes.

I just pulled mine as it would not pass the Friction test for IFR Certification. Was thinking about it disassembling (Tinkeritis). to see if it is possible to just clean it out/reassemble and then see it it will pass. The local (Seattle) company I was sent to won't work on it and says it has to go back to Falcon or certified repair shop. Falcon wants $375 for factory refurbished replacement.
Did you ever take yours apart?

My RV9A Started With a Falcon 6-Pack

You get what you pay for. With enough of them in my panel, I always had something INOP. And yes, most shops won't work on them. Not sure why. Certification and reliability? Nuff said.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Back