What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got WigWag?

Paul from Flyleds

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Please have a read below, but don't watch the video inside the article if you don't like blood...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-10-26/ibis-smashes-through-pilots-windscreen-like-a-missile/100568218
...but it does give me an opportunity to plug our products!

Our Wigwag Module
20210910_111605 crop sml.jpg

or our WigWag Switch
Pic 1 400x270.jpg

can be easily retrofitted to any aeroplane, not just RVs.

Get your lights flashing folks! Give those birds a chance to see you coming!

Get your lights flashing folks! Give those birds a chance to see you coming!

Looks like another nice product, Paul. Congrats!

I fly with my wig-wags on all the time with the hope that they make me just a bit more visible. The challenge is that sometimes those pesky birds are looking the other way!

I used one of the FlyLED wig-wag modules on my Glasair even though it only has a single landing light. I set it up to simply pulse on and off. I used an ON-OFF-ON 3 way switch so that up was on steady, middle was off completely, and down was pulsing. It made me much more visible in the air. Amazing what a little pulse can do even with only one light.

The installation was very easy. I'm working on (theoretically) a big panel upgrade in the Glasair and I don't think I'll be using it when all the dust settles--because the pulse/wig-wag feature is built in to the VPX. I may end up installing the module in my RV-3 using a pair of the FlyLED landing lights if I ever work up the courage to cut holes in the beautifully painted and finished leading edge of my RV-3 wings for the landing lights!

Nifty product!

I'm building a Bearhawk and decided to forego the VPX (which includes wigwag) in favor of fuses, so I bought one of Paul's switches. The great thing about it is that you have a choice of a bunch of different flashing patterns. I think i paid about 85.00 or something like that for it. Good value

A great value that certainly enhances safety. I use mine for takeoff and landing. I turn the Wig Wag off when reaching cruise altitude and turn them back on when I begin my decent for landing.
A few months ago we had to shoot the approach to get back in to our home base. Our local A&P/ IA was parked at the far end of the rwy I was to land on. He told me that my wig Wag lights were visible well before he could see our airplane.

I use mine for takeoff and landing. I turn the Wig Wag off when reaching cruise altitude and turn them back on when I begin my decent for landing.

Same here and I have a very non-scientific opinion that it helps birds see and avoid. At least it can't hurt...I think!

Avoiding bird strikes

Wig-wag certainly improves visibility for other pilots and it would be great if it also acted as a bird deterrent. We get lots of aerial hazards in the region where I fly. The ibises (ibii?), as featured in the bird strike in Paul's post, soar in thermals near the pattern and they are dumb and non- aggressive and will scatter and dive out of the way if they see you.

Closer to the ground, as in turning final, are the crows and they seem to fly about randomnly looking for something small to attack and eat. They are smart cowards and will not attack a plane or anything bigger than themselves.

But it's the wedgetail eagles that are a real worry. They can spot a plane from way off and will cruise over to check you out. Will a wig-wag scare them off? They are territorial and seemingly fearless, often seen at 2,000+ feet AGL and will come at you head on. If I spot one (must have eyes outside and not be staring at the TV!) I will bank and turn away and so far that has worked. What about wig-wag as an added defence, is there any confidence that it would work?

He told me that my wig Wag lights were visible well before he could see our airplane.
This is exactly the reason why wigwagging or flashing your lights on every flight you make is so effective.
It gives other pilots (both feathered and clothed) the opportunity to see you coming from a much longer distance, giving them time to think about what needs to be done to avoid you.

For this reason I'd encourage all to leave your lights flashing at altitude as well. What are you saving by turning them off?

PaulvS, I note that the pilot was also worried about his new passenger being an eagle!

I installed one of the WigWag modules so that I could use my original Landing Light switch. Works great, minimal rewiring. With LED landing lights replacing my original Duckworks leading edge lights, they are Very bright and noticeable. I have had good comments from tower controllers, other pilots but nothing from geese or other birds. They just avoid me.

Another great product from Paul. I would have used one on my new build, but I built my own controller for my Rocket a decade ago, and had some spares.

I love the logic (OFF-WW-ON) with the switch. I firmly believe that OFF should be down like every other switch in the aircraft, and ON should be up for the same reason. The mid position is WW, halfway between OFF and ON.

For those who fly formation, toggle switches are the way to go, because operation by feel alone is important.

Well done.

Just a data point in support of flying with lights on….
“FAA Bird Strike Study cites 80% fewer bird strikes, NTSB Midair Collision study cites 37% fewer midair collisions….”
My wigwags are on all the time, as is my single wing landing light. 👍

Back