What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire pressure

On a Rv6 tail wheel
What is the correct tire pressure on the main gear

Thanks
Danny
N15vr

Pretty sure you will never get the “the correct” tire pressure but you will get opinions
My opinion is 35-38 but I have an A so YMMV

Last edited:
Pretty sure you will never get the “the correct” tire pressure but you will get opinions
My opinion is 35-38

Philip and I are similar. I may have said 30 to 40. Most of the time I go by appearance. When checking pressure when they look right, they are in the 35-38 range depending on tire brand.

I have a -6. I get gear shimmy from 30-35 psi but not at 40, so that's what I use. Best if you experiment to see what YOUR airplane likes.

Pressure

I run 50 psi in mine, my wheel pants are very close to the ground and anything less causes the pants to drag with the slightest ground irregularity. Never had an issue running with that high of pressure

Here is a tire pressure chart based on size and number of plus.

Attachments

• rv10 tire pressure.png
    rv10 tire pressure.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 457
Well, yes and no. If I wanted that tire to carry 1,160 lbs I would. Since I only want mine to carry around 750 max I use 25 psi.

used 25 for a while... then developed a puncture on the left - then on the right side. Slow leak, abrasion hole on the sidewall of the tube for both.
Increased to 35, now developing shimmy about 50% of the landing, but no puncture, yet.
Will increase next to 40 and see. And fetch that bowl of pop-corn 🍿

Correct pressure

There is no "correct" pressure as per the advice stated.
But, I can tell you from experience what low pressure will do. It will scuff the tubes and cause them to leak.
Had my plane in the avionics shop for panel replacement. It had been there for four weeks, I went there to help set up the parameters in the new goodies. We pulled it out of the hangar to run it up and adjust things. All good.
Next, day they called and said the front tire was flat. OOps!!!
I was blaming FOD on the tarmac for the flat tire.
Went back, pulled the virtually new tire, YUP. it had a hole in the sidewall, Because somebody had ran it with to low a pressure, Before I bought the plane 3 years ago. I was blaming the wrong people. Crow tastes good, Huh?
SO the correct tire pressure is what will keep the rim off the road as they say.
I put 40 PSI in all three tires.
Art

I run 25 psi in the RV-4 mains, should be close to what an RV-6 weighs. I have been using the same Airstop tubes for three sets of tires (I'm cheap). I will probably be getting a flat any day now.

I strongly advise 42 psi because 42 is the answer to everything, so it can't be wrong. and easy to remember when you wanna fill your tires during maintainance.

I strongly advise 42 psi because 42 is the answer to everything, so it can't be wrong. and easy to remember when you wanna fill your tires during maintainance.
Can't argue with that logic!

As another data point, I'm at 3.1 bar or about 45 psi with my big, fat 380X150-5 Michelins. I need that extra pressure due to my "carrier" landings.

I run 25 psi in the RV-4 mains, should be close to what an RV-6 weighs. I have been using the same Airstop tubes for three sets of tires (I'm cheap). I will probably be getting a flat any day now.

I ran my rv4 mains at 26 psi for 20 years. About 6 weeks ago I landed at our practice airport and while sitting at the fuel pump the left tire went flat. Bad timing at a not so great place. Now they ere at 30 psi. It shimmys some but im not chancing another flat.
Cm

I ran 35 psi in my RV4 (just sold). It made it easier to push out of the hangar and didn’t shimmy. 25 psi was more difficult to push it around. Anything above about 38 psi and I might get some shimmy during taxi - so, 35 psi for me.

used 25 for a while... then developed a puncture on the left - then on the right side. Slow leak, abrasion hole on the sidewall of the tube for both.
Increased to 35, now developing shimmy about 50% of the landing, but no puncture, yet.
Will increase next to 40 and see. And fetch that bowl of pop-corn 🍿

Bingo. I went through three flats due to sidewall scuffing of the tube before I saw the light. I went to 40 on the mains and 35 on the nose and no issues since. My nosewheel does do a back and forth shimmy at exactly 18 knots on taxi, but I can live with that.

Back