What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jeff Rose / Electroair Pickup

BoydBirchler

Well Known Member
Had a problem with my EI dropping out (shutting completely off). I found oil in the MTH (mag timing housing). Disassembled MTH and thought the double lip seal was installed backwards. Reading the directions on the new seal, found it was installed correctly (I guess 700+ hours is the life expectancy of the seal).

Reassembled with new bearings and seals, timing wheel free of oil contamination. installed magnetic pickup 15 thousandths from wheel (found later the recommended spacing is 11 thousandths for the 1/2" pickup).

2 weeks later, EI dropping out again (shutting completely off). Removed rear cover; housing and timing wheel clean and dry, no oil. Hmmmm!

On the outside chance something was wrong with my magnet pickup I rechecked it with an ohm meter: 680 OHMs. Heated it with a hairdryer still in acceptable range....

Bought a new 1/2" pickup from Electroair. Noticed new pickup had much stronger magnetism; when it accidently picked up a small screwdriver. Grabbed the old pickup and found it hardly had any magnetism. Hmmm.

Installed the new pickup in the MTH with the Electroair supplied 11 thousandth feeler gauge.

Flight test: all is normal, worked well. Time will tell if this is a proper solution to the issue of the EI dropping of line.
EDIT:
Well on the very next flight ignition started dropping out again (shutting completely off). Next I will remover the MAP sensor from the circuit and see what happens.

Edit #2
Right after I ordered a new Pmag I was removing my Electroair and and found that the connection to the always on buss was loose. Ouch!

Last edited:
Jeff Rose Ignition

Had a problem with my EI dropping out. I found oil in the MTH (mag timing housing). Disassembled MTH and thought the double lip seal was installed backwards. Reading the directions on the new seal, found it was installed correctly (I guess 700+ hours is the life expectancy of the seal).

Reassembled with new bearings and seals, timing wheel free of oil contamination. installed magnetic pickup 15 thousandths from wheel (found later the recommended spacing is 11 thousandths for the 1/2" pickup).

2 weeks later, EI dropping out again. Removed rear cover; housing and timing wheel clean and dry, no oil. Hmmmm!

On the outside chance something was wrong with my magnet pickup I rechecked it with an ohm meter: 680 OHMs. Heated it with a hairdryer still in acceptable range....

Bought a new 1/2" pickup from Electroair. Noticed new pickup had much stronger magnetism; when it accidently picked up a small screwdriver. Grabbed the old pickup and found it hardly had any magnetism. Hmmm.

Installed the new pickup in the MTH with the Electroair supplied 11 thousandth feeler gauge.

Flight test: all is normal, worked well. Time will tell if this is a proper solution to the issue of the EI dropping of line.

Well on the very next flight ignition started dropping out again. Next I will remover the MAP sensor from the circuit and see what happens.

Ideas appreciated. I like what EI does for efficiency, but just may go to running 2 slick mags!

I had two of these systems in an RV-6A. What I found was that the inductive pickup would periodically fail. It's construction is #40 wire that is terminated to a #20 Wire. The termination usually is the failure point, AND, it can be Intermittent depending on temperature.. These inductive pickups are make in China with little quality control... I dumped both systems and went to PMAG's....

Back