What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 panel upgrade

I’m currently upgrading our RV-6A to a Skyview Classic with EMS, Transponder, ADS-B in and autopilot

Cheers,
Chris

Money money money

That answer is a big fat $$$ yes.
My RV-6A is in the finishing throughs of full panel replacement at Pacific Coast Avionics.
Dynon single 10" HDX, two coms, audio, two axis auto pilot, heated AOA, full engine monitoring, ADSB in out ADHARS all new stuff, panel and more. You get the idea.
About sit down. $36,000.00 ouch ouch ouch.
But, maybe it will be back in the air after 6 weeks down time. Waiting for Dynon software bug updates.
Art

Last edited:
I updated my RV-6 panel with dual 10" Skyview, autopilot, EMS, and ADS-B in 2014. With dual displays I get 4 knobs which I've set up for track, map zoom, altitude, and baro. I also installed a GTR-200 COM. Getting ready to spring for dual HDX displays.

Thanks for the reply's.
I have totally emptied the coffers now and our tax and customs clearance bills just added to the pain.
I have just purchased the Skyview HDX1100. I was thinking the best way would be to de-rivet the old panel, make a new panel fit it up on the bench then remove the new equipment and rivet the new panel in place. then refit the new stuff. does any one have any thoughts on this.
Thanks

Rather than totally removing and replacing the old panel by taking out all the rivets, another way may be to leave the skirt of the old panel in place; cut out large sections where the new equipment will go and mount it in panel subsections that will screw onto the skeleton of the old panel. Our club RV is done this way and it is fine. For my own new build I am mounting the panel with screws not rivets, so the whole thing will be removable.
The main problem I can see with what you asked about is being able to get the rivet holes in exactly the right spot with the new panel. You won't be able to easily lay one panel over the other as a template due to the bottom flange.
Hope that makes sense and good luck with what you decide to do.

Last edited:
That answer is a big fat $$$ yes.
My RV-6A is in the finishing throughs of full panel replacement at Pacific Coast Avionics.
Dynon single 10" HDX, two coms, audio, two axis auto pilot, heated AOA, full engine monitoring, ADSB in out ADHARS all new stuff, panel and more. You get the idea.
About sit down. $36,000.00 ouch ouch ouch.
But, maybe it will be back in the air after 6 weeks down time. Waiting for Dynon software bug updates.
Art

So do you think $36k is a typical upgrade price? Just curious as I have a 6A with steam gauges and no autopilot and I’m thinking of upgrading to glass and an autopilot but have no idea what it might cost me!

$15,000 US is what i paid plus freight and our taxes in NZ. But I am doing the installation myself. There is going to be a few extras, I havnt started the upgrade yet and can see a few things that will need doing

Rather than totally removing and replacing the old panel by taking out all the rivets, another way may be to leave the skirt of the old panel in place; cut out large sections where the new equipment will go and mount it in panel subsections that will screw onto the skeleton of the old panel. Our club RV is done this way and it is fine. For my own new build I am mounting the panel with screws not rivets, so the whole thing will be removable.
The main problem I can see with what you asked about is being able to get the rivet holes in exactly the right spot with the new panel. You won't be able to easily lay one panel over the other as a template due to the bottom flange.
Hope that makes sense and good luck with what you decide to do.

I thought about doing this. I will have another look at it and see if that will work. I have removed lots of rivets in another life and feel i can get the old panel out and use it as a template but cutting out large sections may be easier thanks for the sugestion

Problem solved

I can't even imagine cutting up panel, a panel that is so easily removed, then trying to building it in pieces.
You can buy, bend up, or a new panel. Cut to size per measuring the original or how ever.
Then work on the new installation.
As for the cost. It grows as one makes decisions as to this and that.
For mine it included.
two new Tosten grips and wiring
two auto pilot servos and autopilot control
New transponder
Oh ya had to have two new Bose A20 headsets with Lemo power
one 10"HDX panel
wifi adaptor
Two coms
New audio panel
ADHRS in wing tip and ADSB in and out
new antennas
How about the full engine monitoring system kit from Dynon it's only $1,000.00
Hey we had to have the Dynon heated AOA too
All new switches and breakers
Virtually Rewiring the plane behind the panel
Might as well wire it for the smoke system at the same time
Can't be to hard to supply power for the Inogen Oxygen system either.
Then there's the wire, connectors, Terminals, and on and on.
Never ending list of stuff to do.
My $36,000.00 worth Art
Yes it's cheaper to buy the plane than build it
But what's the fun in that?

Thanks Art
I was thinking of the de rivet method. The thought of cutting out parts of the panel would have made a much larger mess of metal grindings in the cockpit.
But like I said I did not want to reinvent the wheel.. I have pre purchased everything I think I will need but I guess there will be something I will have forgotten.
Another reason for the upgrade is that I am embarrassed about the tangle of wires behind the panel. This will give me the opportunity to clean them up. I have learnt so much about avionics since I first flew and feel I am in a much better position to complete this.
I will try to post progress here when I get started

Back