What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some thoughts on early RV transition to 7A

XP Aviator

Patron
Heres my dilemma and would love some input. I have a Cessna 172XP and have RV10 empennage on order. My XP is perfect. Well taken care of, all new by me Garmin electronics including GFC500 AP and new top. Flies perfect, except she painfully slow :). Ive owner her for six years now and know what I have. My plan was to keep and fly her while I do the build. Now my stupid brain is throwing in lots of thoughts.....

With prices being what they are, should I sell and get into a 7A? That is, if I can even find one. Im giving up the two seats which I like to have for PNP flights. I gain a lot of speed and knowledge of how the RV operates and perhaps learn a couple things for the build?

Any and all thoughts are welcome and thanks in advance!

I think it really depends on your mission, and whether the 4 seats or extra speed are more important to you.

The transition to fly the RV conservatively is only a few hours. You’ll want more experience before flying it IFR or at the edge of its envelope but you can gain that experience after your RV10 is flying.

You will be building for a long time (3-10+ years is common), so fly the plane now that you want to fly for the indefinite future. Or if you want more speed and four or more seats, look at an interim plane such as a Bonanza. Also beware that time flying your current plane trades against time building the new one, which can be challenging if your discretionary time is limited.

David

I wouldn't do it just to get yourself "used to" an RV. The transition really isn't that big a deal and it likely won't help much with the building part since the two are so different parts-wise. On the other hand if you're eventually going to wind up with a -10 anyway, having a -7A to fly in the meantime would probably be more fun and motivating than a 172. Yes you'll be down some baggage and pax capacity but that will only be temporary.

I could see how the 172 could be more of a motivator to build them a -7. Why spend time building when you have a fun plane in your hanger to fly? 😋

You Said it Yourself...

"My XP is perfect. Well taken care of, all new by me Garmin electronics ..."
and "painfully slow" is relative. A group of local jet jockeys own J3s and Luscombs. I always find it interesting - if we really love to fly, wouldn't we want to spend more time in the air, and wouldn't that mean a slower plane?
On the other hand, if you're looking to do some serious x-country in the future, the RV-10 is a great choice.
In the meantime, you have a perfectly wonderful airplane. If you don't already have an instrument rating, get it in your XP. Commercial? Get it. ATP? Keep training. Take friends for rides. When your RV-10 is ready to fly, you'll be ready to use it well.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Years ago I flew a 172XP for the CAP and have a lot of time in that plane. I don't remember it as "painfully slow"...IIRC I cruised it at about 130kts which seemed pretty fast compared to the Skyhawks I usually flew. But yeah...the RV's are a whole other ballgame. The 172's are a really great plane, but I'll never go back.

I wouldn't be concerned about transitioning. The RVs aren't exactly docile, but they are completely predictable.

Last edited:
IMHO you already made the choice, when you opted for the -10 and not the -14. You want 4 seats. Keep the xp.

I was seriously anticipating all the reasons I was going to get to switch planes early. You guys must be the most honest group of pilots, ever! Thank you for all the feedback. I really do love my plane but was looking for reasons to do the different plane since even my mechanic told me to stay in the XP (primarily because he's the guy that had to do all the work on her). Again, thank you for a lot of great feedback. Michael

Back