What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maybe This Is Out Of Bounds

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Have been “lurking” for a couple of years and recently purchased a RV7A. I’m a military/airline guy and can fly a decent airplane but fairly new to GA. when it comes to the maintaining/modifying part of the airplane I’m essentially inept. When I view threads about CHTs and cooling mods, for example, I’m pretty much a pig looking at a wristwatch. So here’s the thing... In the military we had social rosters, just a list with contact info for when someone was deployed and their wife needed help with the dishwasher, that sort of thing. I would like to build a social roster of RV types in my area that are willing to mentor, teach, assist, be patient with ‘stupid’ questions and maybe even sit down for a cup of coffee and chat. I have remodeled homes and built furniture, can work on my cars a bit but just not experienced with the airplane side. I live just left of Ft Wayne with my airplane based at Warsaw (ASW), Indiana.

If you you live within a couple hundred miles of me and are interested in helping a new guy learn, I’d be very grateful if you would PM me your contact info. Cell and email maybe.. I will try not to be a nuisance and if I am just tell me but I’m at a bit of a loss.

If this post is Out-of-Bounds, admin types please delete it and accept my apologies.

Tailwinds

I'm sure you will get a lot of responses, but a couple suggestions.

Join your local EAA chapter. That was invaluable to me when I started to build. Even as a non-builder they will be more than happy to give you some guidance.

I'm at 04TN (not sure how far that is from you). Let me know if you want to fly down sometime and talk about planes. I have built RV-9A, RV-12, RV-12iS and am starting an RV-14A. Always willing to talk airplanes.

-Dan

I am in Chicago (30 min flight) and willing to provide some guidance. PM if interested.

Larry

You will soon find that your local EAA chapter and this forum will become your "Experimental Aircraft Social Roster". Ask away for help and guidance. You will get both, with some possible criticism along the way. Overall one of your top go-to places.

:cool:

Forum

Colorado builders have a forum. It looks very much like this one.
Kinda funny how it evolved. It started with my Mentor and a few others E-mailing each other. That quickly became unmanageable. When the list gets big, the providers think its Spam. So I set up a Google Group. It worked ok but lacked organization. Just a huge pile of unrelated threads. Now it's a Free Forum. Works pretty well. Private to keep lurkers and trolls out.

There's a tendency to view "Local" EAA chapters like every one is the pinnacle of everything Experimental. Likely that's true in some locales, but I've found that they come in all sizes, capabilities, and levels of expertise. Around here in rural America, I have two, 20 miles apart, and RV's are a distinct rarity. Great organizations to belong to, nice people, and they can put together a heck of a fly-in barbecue, but RV maintenance issues tend to get blank looks.

Last edited:
You're a smart man and I'm sure someone from your area will respond. I would recommend reading some of the articles that have been written on lean of peak (LOP) ops. They do a good job of breaking down how piston aircraft engines operate and what causes problems, John Deakins had a good series on this at Pelicans Perch (see http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182146-1.html).

Next, since you bought your plane, I assume/hope that you got a thorough pre-buy inspection from a RV knowledgeable mechanic. I have personally seen some real surprises on purchased RVs. You never had to do your own maintenance and now you're buying a plane built by some random guy in his garage...what could go wrong? Not saying your plane has issues but I'd get a pro to look things (especially FWF) over if you haven't already done this.

Good luck!

Have been “lurking” for a couple of years and recently purchased a RV7A. I’m a military/airline guy and can fly a decent airplane but fairly new to GA. when it comes to the maintaining/modifying part of the airplane I’m essentially inept. When I view threads about CHTs and cooling mods, for example, I’m pretty much a pig looking at a wristwatch. So here’s the thing... In the military we had social rosters, just a list with contact info for when someone was deployed and their wife needed help with the dishwasher, that sort of thing. I would like to build a social roster of RV types in my area that are willing to mentor, teach, assist, be patient with ‘stupid’ questions and maybe even sit down for a cup of coffee and chat. I have remodeled homes and built furniture, can work on my cars a bit but just not experienced with the airplane side. I live just left of Ft Wayne with my airplane based at Warsaw (ASW), Indiana.

If you you live within a couple hundred miles of me and are interested in helping a new guy learn, I’d be very grateful if you would PM me your contact info. Cell and email maybe.. I will try not to be a nuisance and if I am just tell me but I’m at a bit of a loss.

If this post is Out-of-Bounds, admin types please delete it and accept my apologies.

Tailwinds

Check your PM's I sent contact info:)....

There's a tendency to view "Local" EAA chapters like every one is the pinnacle of everything Experimental. Likely that's true in some locales, but I've found that they come in all sizes, capabilities, and levels of expertise. Around here in rural America, I have two, 20 miles apart, and RV's are a distinct rarity. Great organizations to belong to, nice people, and they can put together a heck of a fly-in barbecue, but RV maintenance issues tend to get blank looks.

I tried our local EAA chapter back when I was building, and at the first meeting I went to, the entire first hour was spent complaining about the then-current President. When I went to look at the chapter hangar, it was a rat's nest of pieces, parts, tools strewn about, dirty and cluttered.

Never bothered after that. Instead, we have found via VAF a group of local builders who help each other, share tools when necessary, assist with advice/annuals/maintenance/troubleshooting/etc., fly together, and enjoy a good beer in the evenings after a good day messing about in airplanes.

So try your local EAA chapter, but don't get discouraged if they turn out to be something less than helpful...use VAF and other resources to make your own circle.

ASW has a couple of RV builder guys.. Dave and his buddy built a -12, now are building a -14..

Brian,

Did you get the stuff I emailed you last week?

I highly recommend you check out the “safety” forum on this website and read the Training Syllabus thread and the attachments that Mike Vacarro developed and posted for all of us to enjoy. There’s a wealth of knowledge there that will help you fly your RV better and safer.

When I got back into flying after a 22+ year layoff it was a major learning curve. Since all my military flying was in jets such terms as lean of peak (LOP) and rich of peak (ROP) were Greek to me. I knew nothing of “over square operations” and nothing about how to manage a constant speed prop. Sitting down with a few sharp instructors and discussing aircraft piston engine operations will serve you well. Don’t be too embarrassed to seek the help of a number of folks who total background is GA. While we’ve flown higher and faster they’ve grown up in the piston world and have knowledge that only “piston experience” provides.

Joining a good local EAA chapter will not only expand your circle of aviation friends it will probably identify several good A&Ps who can help you learn how to maintain your airplane. As with everything in life, there’s numerous ways to tackle a problem so the more A&Ps you know the faster and better will be your learning curve.

The EAA website has a section called “Help for Homebuilders” with numerous “how to” videos. Steinair (a VAF vendor) has several UTube videos about electrical wiring that are extremely informative. Your EFIS manufacturer and Garmin also have some great videos on their equipment.

Of course flying to AirVenture is a must because it exposes you to so many RV owners and vendors that are more than willing to provide technical assistance and advice. I also recommend getting a stable “power supply” to power up your panel if you’re new to the EFIS system in your aircraft. Mine cost me around $50 through Amazon and I’ve sat many an hour in the cockpit learning how to utilize the capabilities of this amazing system. Be sure and do an EFIS and Engine Information system backup before you start pressing buttons “just in case.”

Your asking all the right questions so enjoy the flying and RV ownership process. These are amazing airplanes!

Jim,
I did get your emails. If I've learned anything in my time flying airplanes it's that 'pride goeth before a fall'.

-------------

Thanks to All who responded both publicly and privately. It's obvious that many of you have forgotten more than I will ever know about this segment of aviation. I would be foolish not to tap this resource. You will most certainly be hearing many questions, some of which will probably be pretty goofy. Thanks in advance for your patience!

I Know of What You Speak

Brian:
Lots of great advice on this forum. I sent you a PM detailing my own experience/introduction to experimental aviation. I’m based in Michigan at KPTK ,about 45 minutes away by RV. I’m currently working hard at getting retired soon and might be of more assistance in the near future.
Cell: 248-417-8585
[email protected]

Terry,CFI
RV-9A

If you're interested in meeting a few RV'ers in the area, Fort Wayne EAA Chapter 2 is having their monthly meeting on Thursday 5/13 @6PM at Sweet Aviation at KSMD. The guest speaker this month is Dean Cutshall who owns and pilots the only flying F100 Super Sabre (based at KFWA).

Get Chartered!

I tried our local EAA chapter back when I was building, and at the first meeting I went to, the entire first hour was spent complaining about the then-current President. When I went to look at the chapter hangar, it was a rat's nest of pieces, parts, tools strewn about, dirty and cluttered.

Never bothered after that. Instead, we have found via VAF a group of local builders who help each other, share tools when necessary, assist with advice/annuals/maintenance/troubleshooting/etc., fly together, and enjoy a good beer in the evenings after a good day messing about in airplanes.

So try your local EAA chapter, but don't get discouraged if they turn out to be something less than helpful...use VAF and other resources to make your own circle.

Sounds like you have started a new Chapter...you just haven't chartered it with National. Go ahead,...make it REAL! ;)

Sounds like you have started a new Chapter...you just haven't chartered it with National. Go ahead,...make it REAL! ;)

No, just leave it as is. When we formed a local RV builders group 20+ years ago a local (non-RV) EAA chapter felt threatened by it and did all they could to shut us down.

We stayed out of the EAA loop and the group thrived without all the organizational hassles and politics. We did do a lot of group flying, email sharing and hangar visits, and even had some hamburger burns....but never a pancake breakfast. ;)

Last edited:
EAA Meeting

I also will be at the meeting for Chapter 2 on Thursday, or PM me and I can give you my list of A&P and I&A in our area that are RV friendly.

If you're interested in meeting a few RV'ers in the area, Fort Wayne EAA Chapter 2 is having their monthly meeting on Thursday 5/13 @6PM at Sweet Aviation at KSMD. The guest speaker this month is Dean Cutshall who owns and pilots the only flying F100 Super Sabre (based at KFWA).

I will be there!!

Back