What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Die is cast?

mikeakers

Just ordered all the tools I need to complete the starter kits from aircraftspruce/eBay. I have the toolbox and aileron (if I can find it) starter kits to practice on.

Realistically I probably can't start building for another year, and I still have to make a final decision between RV-10, RV-14, RV-14A. If all goes well with vaccines and stuff I'll be able to go to OSH this year and finally see the planes in person and make a more informed decision.

Anyway, placing this order feels like a big step towards starting the build and eventually one day having a flying RV. Thought I would share.

I think everyone starts out the same way. I remember looking at Vans for years trying to figure out how to make it happen. Once the stars lined up I started building. Plane has been flying for 2 years now and was 100% worth it. you wont regret it.

Education

Just ordered all the tools I need to complete the starter kits from aircraftspruce/eBay. I have the toolbox and aileron (if I can find it) starter kits to practice on.

Realistically I probably can't start building for another year, and I still have to make a final decision between RV-10, RV-14, RV-14A. If all goes well with vaccines and stuff I'll be able to go to OSH this year and finally see the planes in person and make a more informed decision.

Anyway, placing this order feels like a big step towards starting the build and eventually one day having a flying RV. Thought I would share.

Welcome
You're on the right track. Use the time to find a Mentor and learn good technique. Help others. The skills will serve you well when you make the decision. Airventure is a great learning tool. Take in all the training. You're bird will be awesome.

one_bite1.jpg

Better Luck

I hope you have better luck with Aircraft Spruce than I did when I ordered my tools. I ordered one of the ATS tool kits from Spruce back in December. After waiting 14 days with no shipping confirmation, I contacted them. I went back and forth with them for about a week before they told me ATS (the vendor) did not have the tool kit in stock and couldn't say when they would have it again. Maybe a week, maybe 3 months. I asked for a refund and that took another week before it was approved. A few more days to have it applied back to my card. After about a month of waiting to see how it played out, I contacted Brown Tools and placed my order. Three days later, I had tools at my door.

First thing you need to do is move out of New York! :D:D

Yeah no kidding. This is part of why I don't think I can get started for another year or so. Good news is that with the pandemic a lot of real estate is coming on the market at prices that I can afford that would let me set up a shop of some sort. I'm seeing shares in workshop space, garages, even loft apartments with freight elevators that might be options. I'm also of course looking at getting out of the city into a house with a garage... we will see what happens.

I hope you have better luck with Aircraft Spruce than I did when I ordered my tools. I ordered one of the ATS tool kits from Spruce back in December. After waiting 14 days with no shipping confirmation, I contacted them. I went back and forth with them for about a week before they told me ATS (the vendor) did not have the tool kit in stock and couldn't say when they would have it again. Maybe a week, maybe 3 months. I asked for a refund and that took another week before it was approved. A few more days to have it applied back to my card. After about a month of waiting to see how it played out, I contacted Brown Tools and placed my order. Three days later, I had tools at my door.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Congrats

Rivet removal and working with rivet holes that have been enlarged due to rivet removal is just as important skill as construction. I recommend dissembling your practice kit after building it and build it again. You WILL have to remove rivets, might as well not learn on the important stuff.

Back