What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Congratulations Doug

cajunwings

Well Known Member
Big Congrats on your successful Type Rating in the Phenom. It’s a huge undertaking and accomplishment. My first one took all of the brain cells and energy I could muster. Onward & upward.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Thank you Don (and all the friends who knew about this privately and were sending me good advice and mojo).

I have a whole new respect for anyone who goes through their first jet initial. I got to do initial twice (once to get sim SIC qual'd back in March of '20 and once 'for real' after I reached a hundred client sims a few weeks back). It was not much easier that second time through, and I learned a great deal more. Thank goodness I had an RV to practice some of the IFR stuff in.

Two days off and then I'm back doing a part time thing for a client. I'm up to 307 hours in this hydraulic humble-maker. And still learning...

One funny side note. I was wearing my smart watch on S7 (the checkride dress rehersal) on Monday and I got a message on it right after a V1 cut that said "Abnormally high heart rate." No s**t <g>.

I wore a cheap Casio with no heart sensor on the checkride. ;^)

Sure feels weird to not be studying in the evening.

Off to bed.....for a week <g>.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding achievement!

No wonder your smart kids are doing so well! A family of high achievers!

One funny sidenote. I was wearing my smart watch on S7 (the checkride dress rehersal) on Monday and I got a message on it right after a V1 cut that said "Abnormally high heart rate."

LOL -- That's hilarious. Of course, didn't I read that your resting heart rate is like 45 or something? So what were you up to .... 55? :D

Seriously though, DR, I am proud of you. I know what it takes to earn a type rating, and I know how hard that you've worked to get where you're at. For all of the right seat time that you've spent with countless students, I can't think of a more deserving person than you to have received this type rating. Congrats.

not Fair

Congrats.

Hey it is not fair to be posting to the 200 kt club when you are above FL180.
But since you run the show, I will let it slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Job DR! I am sure your high acheiving children are very proud of their dad.

Folks,
Speaking as a member of the 'usual band of criminals' here at 52F, let me tell you how much we have all admired Doug's drive these last several years.
- From deciding to get his commercial license...
- rationing his own personal flight time and expense to maximize resources for his kids' college exploits while staying focused on his own training...
- taking every possible "paper route" in the sim to build flight time...
- turning down irresistible breakfast runs with the Buttcrack Squadron so that he could keep studying systems, log more sim time, or, shoot, just to get a little more sleep...

...Doug has stayed laser focused on this day. It has arrived, Doug, and we're tremendously proud of you, Susan, Audrey, and Tate.

Hey, here's a toast to those that helped you find opportunities in aircraft larger, faster, and more complex than that beautiful RV-6. Ross Burgess, Bill Goeken, and so many others... well done, Gents. You helped put the right pilot in the right place.

Next stop: ATP!

Old dog new tricks😁

Congratulations Doug. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!! You and I are about the same age and your achievements make my brain hurt. This proves us mature folks can still learn. Thanks for the motivation.

Congratulations Doug!

Pretty amazing that you've been able to hit the marks with relatively low time spread over such a long period (I know my retention isn't that good). Please tell your daughter and son that what you've been able to do and what you're moving toward borders on the incredible - pretty much a self-taught PhD in aviation.

Now, lest your head get too large for your headset, I'll paraphrase the same perspective I gave my daughter when she graduated medical school...

There are about 680,000 pilots in the U.S., and only about 1% of these hold an ATP - you're in elite company. On the other hand, there are about 165 million females in the U.S., and only 36 of these can call themselves a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. Think about it.
Cheers,
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Not to derail the thread, but there's more ATPs in the US than that. That's only 6800. Talking professional airline pilots, who need an ATP for work, there's probably 50,000 to 60,000+ current ATP flying around in big jets. Heck, the big three airlines have over 10,000 each. Well a bit less with COVID, but most of them will be back.

Certainty a lot fewer pilots with a Phenom Type Rating! Congrats.

Not to Belabor the Point

Not to derail the thread, but there's more ATPs in the US than that. That's only 6800. Talking professional airline pilots, who need an ATP for work, there's probably 50,000 to 60,000+ current ATP flying around in big jets. Heck, the big three airlines have over 10,000 each. Well a bit less with COVID, but most of them will be back.

Certainty a lot fewer pilots with a Phenom Type Rating! Congrats.

I think I'm spot on as to the number of cheerleaders
Terry

nice job Doug and a big effort.

I'm trying to think back to pull up any nuggets that could be beneficial from my engine flight test days. one comes to mind that some don't know... turbine engine thrust increases parabolically with engine speed. in the high power region, such as takeoff power, a good rule of thumb is that a 1% reduction in N1 speed (fan speed) is equal to 3% reduction in thrust. I'm not sure if those engines are controlled by N1 or EPR but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

Excellent work DR - I think the greatest example you have set is to show that in aviation, those willing to work for it can still make it and get ahead. So many lament and complain that “aviation is too expensive” and don’t simply put their noses to the grindstone and find a way to turn their labor and time into the results they want.

You have done exactly that - great job!

Iron Sends....

Way to go Doug!
Coming from someone who had to do that every 9 months for 40 years, that's a great accomplishment! I'm just glad it's now you doing it and not me! Ha-Ha!
Seriously good luck in the future, I hope you are able to go in the direction you wish. Going from a single engine airplane to a multi engine jet is not an easy task!

Congratulations

Doug:
Congratulations to you and your wonderful family on your first type rating. It is certainly the hardest; others will come too. The type rating is a Master's degree in aviation; the ATP the Doctorate. Ironically the ATP is easier than the Type Rating, but more academic because of all of the Part 121 stuff. Keep us posted! :D

Back