What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Tail Kit Required Tools and Workbench

flyboy10029

I'm New Here
Hey everyone!

I am about to pull the trigger on an RV-7 tail kit and am starting to prepare my workspace. I’m starting to look at tools, and I would like everyone’s opinion on what tools I would need to work on the tail kit only. Since I’ve never built a plane before obviously, I don’t want to over buy on tools now just in case I don’t like it like I think I will. I’d also love your help commendations on where to buy your tools from.

I’m also needing to build a bench. Are the EAA chapter 1000 benches enough or would you guys recommend something of a different size, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

You don't really need much of a bench to build the tail kit. You just need some work area large enough to work on. Having a sturdy bench is a nice to have though. I think it depends on what you have now to work on. I used some folding tables as part of my work area and that worked fine. If you are still testing the waters keep it simple until your whole life revolves around building the plane. :D

Tools & benches

If you can find a Mentor, they may enjoy helping you build at least some if not all. I know I would. It would save or delay the tools and benches.
The two EAA benches don't cost much and will serve you well.
Most basic tool kits are fine. I would stick with the C-Frame and manual squeezer like the Big Squeeze. Cleveland would be my recommendation. A Tungsten bar will replace most or all the bars in standard kits. You need a drill. Cordless is fine for the empennage. A 3X gun will drive everything. A drill press, band saw, grinder with scotchbrite wheel and sander will make things easier but you ca work without them.

As far as a workbench keep in mind that the horizontal stab is about 10 feet long when put together. My benches have a 4x8 sheet of plywood for a top.

Okay so currently I’m tracking the following as requirements:
C-frame
Manual squeezer
Tungsten bar
Cordless drill

What else do you guys think I need to build the tail kit?

Tools

C-frame
Manual squeezer
Tungsten bar
Cordless drill

That assumes you also procure a starter builder tool kit. Lots of stuff. Clekos, dies, etc.
You probably need something to cut metal. Bandsaw, hacksaw, dremel, etc.
You need some sort or sander or files to clean up tooling marks from cutting.
Might want to build a training kit with a Mentor.

C-frame
Manual squeezer
Tungsten bar
Cordless drill

So question, maybe a dumb one. Are you planning to build the rest of the aircraft? Standard build or quick build? Are you sincere in following through with the build? I am about to also pull the trigger, I have done a **** ton of research and had many conversations with builders. If you are going to commit to the whole build, I’ll tell you what I have decided on for tools, etc for the build...

You'll need deburring tools for the skins (file and scotch brite works fine, just a little more work). You'll also need a tools for deburring the holes.

You a need a drill and drill bits.

Clecos and cleco pliers

Band saw for the stringers.

C frame and dies to dimple.

Machine counter sinks

Rivet gun and bucking bar

Rivet squeezer with dies.

That should get you a nicely built tail.

Build a practice kit. You'll likely bang it up, but that's the point. After that you'll be ready to build the tail.

Welcome to VAF

Hey everyone!

I am about to pull the trigger on an RV-7 tail kit----

I’m also needing to build a bench. Are the EAA chapter 1000 benches enough or would you guys recommend something of a different size, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Anthony, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

The EAA 1000 workbench is a good design, flexible as to size if you choose to do so. I have made them 2"x4", 4'x6', 3 1/2'x 7' and 4'x14' all using the same basic structure.

Thanks so much for the response! I got an A&P buddy to give me some advice, and he told me to buy almost everything that you put on this list. Thanks a ton! My tail kit comes in tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited!

Anthony, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

The EAA 1000 workbench is a good design, flexible as to size if you choose to do so. I have made them 2"x4", 4'x6', 3 1/2'x 7' and 4'x14' all using the same basic structure.

Thanks! I ended up finishing the second of the 2 workbenches yesterday actually!

Tools and Bench

flyboy10029,

I started my tailkit in 2005. At the time, I purchased the Cleveland Tool Kit at Airventure. I believe they had a show discount. You can find almost all the tools you need at this link:

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/collections/kit-of-tools-for-the-rv-6-rv-7-rv-8-rv-9

The cost of this kit has increased since I purchased mine. However, I've found every tool to be of excellent quality and will work to suit your building needs.

I built a bench, which was close to 4x8, if not exactly. I also installed casters which was convenient for moving it around my build area.

Yesterday, I put in an order for the Wing Kit. So, no time like the present to keep building. :)

Good luck and nice to meet you!

Back