What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

Finally a real plane

It has been 8 pretty long years but the DAR inspected and passed my 9A this morning. Without the help of Chuck Brietigam, I would not have finished. flyinmonque (Dave) gave me my first ride and several rides since and checked in on me over the years to make sure I didnt give up. Vlad visited me a few times to encourage me and just to say hi. Thanks to the Colorado gang too.

I look forward to the first flight. I wish I was qualified, but smart enough to let Chuck break it it!

Thanks VAF and Doug for the help received from so many and to the guys that have sent me checklists and POH manuals for me to modify - that is a huge help!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SnRFVWgtSmlBamZldUc2V2FWOUEyYXFyNEZoSmN3

It has been 8 pretty long years but the DAR inspected and passed my 9A this morning. Without the help of Chuck Brietigam, I would not have finished. flyinmonque (Dave) gave me my first ride and several rides since and checked in on me over the years to make sure I didnt give up. Vlad visited me a few times to encourage me and just to say hi. Thanks to the Colorado gang too.

I look forward to the first flight. I wish I was qualified, but smart enough to let Chuck break it it!

Thanks VAF and Doug for the help received from so many and to the guys that have sent me checklists and POH manuals for me to modify - that is a huge help!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SnRFVWgtSmlBamZldUc2V2FWOUEyYXFyNEZoSmN3

Nice going! I remember the earlier years where you and I jabbed each other occasionally about who was going to finish first. I had a five-year plan, and managed to finish it in 8, pretty much same as you. Now go fly that rascal and enjoy it! It's worth every drop of sweat and blood during the build process.

Thanks Carl. i thought I had the picture posting down, but I guess not!!
Glad to have the certificate behind me - now to get insurance so it can get in the air!!

Way to go!!!!

Rocky,
A big congrats on the finish of your plane. Hope we get to fly together for a photo shoot soon.
Let's see a photo of the plane where your not blocking it.🤩🥳

Daaaaang, congrats Rocky. Dare I say "about time"? :D I know I was also in that who's-finishing-first rib-jabbing club. Just passed 100hrs the other day, and I take the bird down to Jonathan to get prettified this Thursday. Enjoy as much as possible, don't mind the endless tinkering to come (I'm still constantly doing things to mine!), and welcome to the skies.

Bruce, Thanks. It looks like I may be near your part of the country for a few m months. SLO, not that close but over than MI or ID!

From the Movie "Casablanca"

"Welcome to the fight. This time, I know our side will win." (Victor Lazlo, to Rick)
Congratulations!
Looks like you've checked all the boxes - latest gen. front fork, anti-splat gear mod, access panels on upper cowl, composite airbox, and i'm sure, a lot more.
If you venture to the East side of the state, stop at KPTK and head to "Echo Row" AKA RV Row. We'd love to see your bird up close.
Have fun. Fly safe.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Here is a little better picture of the plane with all the parts back on. Holy smokes, I cant believe how many panels and screws there were to put it all back together after the inspection.

Attachments

• exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 648
A beautiful RV-9!

And while looking for an instructor at my home airport, I came across this paint scheme. Absolutely, IMHO, one of the nicest RV-9 Scheme combo's I have ever seen.

First Flight today

Here is a little better picture of the plane with all the parts back on. Holy smokes, I cant believe how many panels and screws there were to put it all back together after the inspection.

My friend had the first flight today in my plane. He said it flew straight and true. No issues. #3 cylinder was a bit warm but never got over 400. They will start flying the EAA test cards off now. It is pretty exciting to have it in the air. I wish I could have been there, but thats life. I still have that RV grin!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N376E/history/20201106/2158Z/KEUL

I wondered if it was ever going to get finished, but it did.

Attachments

• exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 432
Well, now you need to change your sig block.

When you get through chasing all over the country, fly that thing down here to Dayton and say HI:D

100% finished

photos

I just got my 9A back in the air after the wrap job. Design was printed on a chrome Avery Dennison paper. The caricature on the tail is my Grandfather. He was a barnstormer in the teens and twenties. His flying circus performed at the very first air show at Oshkosh, WI in 1925 He joined the army air corp in 1931 and retired a full colonel in 1953. During WWII he flew the Hump and was a base commander in Burma.

The caricature was drawn by Don Barclay, an American actor and artist. During the time preceding World War II Barclay spent time with General Claire Lee Chennault's 14th AAF famous Flying Tigers unit (then known as the "China Blitzers") where he illustrated every person in the group.
From October to November 1943, Barclay did a one-man USO show No. 302 for the troops; touring every base in North Africa, Arabia, India, and China with his act and drawing caricatures of the men as he went. When he later returned to China in 1945 he estimated he had drawn over 10,000 caricatures of servicemen

photos

I just got my 9A back in the air after the wrap job. Design was printed on a chrome Avery Dennison paper. The caricature on the tail is my Grandfather. He was a barnstormer in the teens and twenties. His flying circus performed at the very first air show at Oshkosh, WI in 1925 He joined the army air corp in 1931 and retired a full colonel in 1953. During WWII he flew the Hump and was a base commander in Burma.

The caricature was drawn by Don Barclay, an American actor and artist. During the time preceding World War II Barclay spent time with General Claire Lee Chennault's 14th AAF famous Flying Tigers unit (then known as the "China Blitzers") where he illustrated every person in the group.
From October to November 1943, Barclay did a one-man USO show No. 302 for the troops; touring every base in North Africa, Arabia, India, and China with his act and drawing caricatures of the men as he went. When he later returned to China in 1945 he estimated he had drawn over 10,000 caricatures of servicemen

The link asks for login info. Can't see the pics.

Moved it to my hangar

Vern,

I will join the 9a fleet in April or May 2006.

Pete
Hey, hey, lookie here; she’s enjoying space my hangar now, and gone another 150 hours over the last year or so.

Attachments

• 1FDAC647-3276-4840-934A-C96264383DD9.jpg
    1FDAC647-3276-4840-934A-C96264383DD9.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 317
Ready, Set, Phase I

2022031121101442--2938905060670708900-Bhkk4tw-0%2521largestimage%253FMaxSize%253DImageSizeX5Large-XL.jpg

As previously reported, the first flight was completed on January 12th with the very capable Tom Berge performing the first flight.

Since then I’ve continued to work with Tom to get my flying skills tuned up, finished the first round of polishing (in an un-heated/un-insulated hangar in Minnesota in January and February), and completed all of my G3X configuration and post-installation settings/tests.

Best of all, for the first time in way too many months, we’re finally looking at a ten-day forecast with daily high temps at least in the upper 30’s!

It’s go time!

Last edited:
Thanks Vlad!

I've enjoyed and have been motivated by the -9A adventures you've shared with us throughout the years of my build. It's so awesome to be at the stage of planning some of my own!!

I've enjoyed and have been motivated by the -9A adventures you've shared with us throughout the years of my build. It's so awesome to be at the stage of planning some of my own!!

Show up in my woods some day Chris. You won’t be disappointed.

Attachments

• F609ECFD-824C-407E-A220-8891AF15D2F9.jpeg
    F609ECFD-824C-407E-A220-8891AF15D2F9.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 389
First flight this morning. Recruited friend, A&P and CFI friend to be an additional pilot. Justin has many hours in Vans Aircraft and him monitoring the engine parameters was a big asset. Flight lasted about an hour and consisted of a climb to 5,000 feet and about 5 orbits above the KTXK class D airspace.

Of note…
Plane flys itself off the ground at about 52mph.
Gotta get used to seeing over the nose in level flight. It’s not a 172!
Cylinder #1 ran about 30 degrees hotter in climb than all other cylinders, after flight I trimmed the #1 cylinder baffle by 1/2”
Dynon AP works sweet! Flew orbits with AP holding altitude and made turns with changing heading bug alone.
Stick movement in flight is minimal and even landings don't require must stick movement
Landed with full flaps (30 degrees). I need practice developing a landing routine in this RV9. Practice!

Ready for next flight with another RV Grin!

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 98
Finally painted after 4.5 years.

Complete for now.:) Flying since March 2019. Just back from paint.

Attachments

• Complete Pic.jpg
    Complete Pic.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 115
Back