What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CPi-2 install in N14ZM

F1 Rocket

Well Known Member
I spent the past couple months installing a CPi-2 in my Rocket. Overall the installation went pretty smoothly. The biggest challenge was the usual puzzle of where to fit everything within an existing airframe. I ended up using a combination of the supplied hardware from SDS as well as designing my own mounting components. I’m very happy with the way everything turned out. Photos can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xu9yT1V3jbnsccj57

Weights

I was curious what the installed weight difference would end up being so I kept a careful log of each component. As can be seen the weight difference is pretty much a wash. I gained a little over 1 pound. One thing for sure is there are a lot more components now.

CPI-2 Weights:
Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 - 688g
Backup battery mount - 165g
Dual CPU box - 724g
6 cyl coil pack set (X2) - 2626g
6 cyl coil pack mag hole mount - 261g
Upper coil pack mount 156g
Mag hole cover - 100g
Crank trigger mount - 187g
Crank trigger w/cables - 175g
CPI-2 Controller - 202g
Coil pack harness (x2) - 367g
Spark plug adapters and washers (x12) - 304g
MSD plug wires/boots (x12) - 1305g
NGK 2668 spark plugs (x12) - 720g
Serial cable - 95g
Main harness (x2) - 234g (full length)
Backup battery harness - 42g
Audio cable - 19g
Manifold pressure tubing - 123g
Insulation sleeve - 32g
SDS CNC flywheel - 2626g

Dual Slick mags:
Flywheel - 3249g
Tach drive - 280g
Mags w/gears and clamps - 4695g
Mag harnesses - 1147g
Spark plugs w/ gaskets 1260g (12)

A poster on another forum was comparing the standalone EI's to Surefly and Pmag's. His comment was similar and that the complexity of SDS and EFII was greater.

After thinking about it, I would only agree that they are more complex to install, and visually more complex looking. All the components in SDS or EFII, also exist in Surefly and Pmags. Plus the Surefly and Pmags are mechanically driven, with items to wear out and break. The MAP's and ECU's are built into the case of the Pmags/Surefly, but they are just as complex. All the complexity of the Pmags are also mounted to a hot, vibrating engine, where the complexity of the SDS/EFII is shock mounted on the cold side of the firewall.

Each has a magnetic trigger, MAP, and ECU that run the ignition. SDS/EFII have a more complicated install. Surefly/Pmag have mechanical components to wear out/fail, and their sensitive electronics are mounted in a more hostile environment.

Take your pick. I went with the full standalone EFI/EI. The only wear items are a couple of electric pumps that cost 100 bucks to replace. No other moving parts other than a couple of magnets spinning around on the flywheel.

I have nothing against the EI mag replacements at all, just the opposite. They are a very simple, elegant replacement for mags. I don't believe they are technically simpler from a systems design standpoint. Only from an installation point of view.

Last edited:
Back