What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 all in cost (2020)

Nero

Trying to do some planning before diving in and want to make sure that my ballpark estimates are reasonable, and that I'm not missing some key part that will wreck the budget.

I couldn't find any recent topics, and the ones that outline the costs are 10 years old at this point.

Let me know if I'm severally over or under on any of these, and if I'm forgetting anything.

Please and thank you!

Part __________Cost__________ Notes
Tools ------------ 5,000 ----------- 3k to start, 2k for Misc
Empenage Kit ---- 4,325
Wing Kit --------- 11,450
Fuselage Kit ------ 17,125
Finishing Kit ------ 16,810
FWF Kit ---------- 7,000
Engine ----------- 48,600
Electrical --------- 5,000 ----------- Harness, etc
Avionics --------- 22,000 ---------- Advanced IFR Panel
Interior ---------- 7,000 ----------- Seats, panels
Paint -------------15,000
Prop --------------8,790 ------------ CS Prop for IO540 (260HP) (discount if purchased w/Lyco engine)
Extras? -----------5,000 ----------- Overhead?, Quadrant, etc
Shipping --------- 3,000
Tax (ID) ---------- 0 --------------- (not listed as a tax state on Van's web site)
Total ------------ 176,100

Edit 1: Added prop... not sure how i missed that... also bumped paint up to 15k.
Edit 2: Doing a little more research on the IFR avionics. Tentatively reduced cost from 37k down to 22k. Will update as I find out more. Also leaving shipping cost in for now, although driving to Oregon from Western Idaho would be cheaper, but would require a larger up front investment (pick up all kits at once).

Last edited:
Extras can vary dependent on what goodies you want, I would allow more for paint, my plane is setting right at 167k unpainted, 20k ish for good paint job. Hope this helps.

I would add another $5K for the miscellaneous and I don't see a propeller on your list.

Looks like you forgot the prop.

I kept a detailed cost spreadsheet for my RV-10 build and it was perhaps $10K less than your grand total (don’t have it in front of me and this was a 2012 build so prices are higher). Some thoughts:
- I just did a dual SkyView HDX panel with all the SkyView components, a GTN-650 and a PSeng audio panel. It was significantly less than your $37K. Perhaps you are including breakers, wiring and such and cost to have someone make it. You can save a lot of money doing your own panel, and at least one avionics shop gives a very nice discount if you bundle everything in one package.
- $10K for paint is low. I painted my first two RVs and will paint the new one next week. Paint material is not cheap - for a high end urethane base/clear it will run $3k-$4k. If you are having a paint shop do this I’d plan on at least $15K.
- Interior. There is a wide range of costs, do what you want. Keep in mind some of those Lexus interiors are heavy and don’t seem to stand up as well as the more basic offerings. I had DJ at Cleveland Tool do all my RVs and am very happy. The first one is now 17 years old and the seats still look like new. On overheads, I built one then never put it in. Took up too much room and I had little use for it.

Carl

Edits made to the original post to include prop (i had a feeling i was missing something important) and to bump paint up to $15k.

For Avionics, I got the cost from her: by clicking on the RV-10 tab. https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/advanced-panels.php#acm This may be too high as when i build the components separately on their website it comes in closer to 20k, so obviously i'm missing something.

I'm not 100% sold on an IFR panel yet either, but looking 5-6 years into the future, and given the plan's mission, i can see it being advantageous. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on that as well.

Edit: Looked at the Dynon site, and just a very quick build (using their "Deluxe IFR" panel" comes out to $21k, which is significantly less than Advanced. Any idea why there is such a huge price difference? I can go through part by part, but that seems like a lot. Certainly enough to make me do more research.

Last edited:
Build it IFR....these things are meant for it. Do your instrument rating too, so add that in.

If you get any builder assist, be it airframe or electrical add something for that. But you are pretty much near the mark for hardware expenses now.

Vans lists states that require them to withhold sales/use tax. Just because ID isn’t on that list doesn’t mean you escape! I believe you will owe ID a 6% use tax on all out of state purchases, and a 6% sales tax on in-state purchases.
Not sure how close you are to Aurora OR but you can save some shipping costs if you fly to Vans, drive back with most of your kits in a U haul rent-a-truck.
For $37K your avionics better be gold plated. You can have a very functional ifr airplane for a lot less.

Avionics

Avionics discussions always lead to ‘my choices were the best ones’. But you owe it to yourself to educate yourself as much as possible. Plan all avionics you want, will x work with Y, or do you have to buy more expensive item Z, etc. Garmin and Dynon are the big players, GRT smaller but very capable (disclosure-I’m a happy GRT owner). Advanced is now owned by Dynon (what that means for their future is your guess). MGL is a small company based in S. Africa. Check them all out.

Not sure if you buried lights in the electrical or misc category but they can add up. Also consider if you’re going to install an oxygen system as one of your extras.

When I did the same approach you did for the budget I got about the same total but my avionics line item was almost double but my paint was almost nothing. Looking forward to when that time comes and hopefully they’ll offset. I’m also hoping to find a used engine/prop to try and bring down the overall investment.

First of all just wanted to say thank you to the community for looking over the very high level estimate and catching my mistakes. This at least makes me feel better knowing that I'm in the ballpark.

I know none of these items will be right on the dot and that i may overspend in one area, and try to find savings in another.

I still have a lot of research to do on the avionics, as that is the area that i am the least knowledgeable in. Good thing i have a few hundred threads to reference. Just from what i see here though, it looks like there is quite a range of options.

I will keep in mind the savings from buying the prop with the Lyco engine. Not sure how much of a discount one can get, but every penny counts.

It all depends on what you like. I just finished my 10 and can tell you that it cost significantly more than your grand total. I think if you want a basic IFR panel, what you have there is fine. Will you be doing your whole panel yourself or have someone build it for you? My IFR was double what you have. The 10s are built for flying high and far - do you plan on installing oxygen in there? If you’re not building at an airport, don’t forget transportation costs to the airport. While not much, all the little things add up. When you are at the end of your build, you will spend a stupid amount of money on shipping for all kinds of things you need to finish the plane.

Are you priming the plane? Do you already have your tools? In total, I probably spent $5000 on tools.

If someone asked me what to budget for a 10, I’d probably say between 200-225 for something very nicely equipped.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Justin and Charlie have posted.

There are so many items you just cant account for.

Workshop expenses..workbenches, lighting, hoses, compressor. I primed about 99% of the plane and painted my inside. I had to build a paint booth, fans, masking, etc.

Build process-as the build gets underway you may decide to add this or that, not major modifications, just upgrades to make the -10 look a little more refined.

I think 200-250 budget will get anyone over the finish line with a great aircraft. I always budget more than what I anticipated.

Charlie is right..shipping is killing me. I just paid more for shipping than the parts from Stein because I want them now. Guess that is what happens as you get near the finish.

This has been an interesting read.

I’m in the same position as the OP except I have the tools and empennage on the way.

When I started doing the same thing it seems like the options can really add up.
For example the fancy wingtips, Beringer brakes, Cee Bailey plastic, SDS fuel injection, cowling etc. Etc. These seem to really pound on the $$$ and time to build. I get caught up in reading so many blogs and what others are putting in their 10’s after awhile it’s overwhelming.

I think it’s more like building a house....make a budget then add 20-25% for the stuff you want not need.

K

I think it’s more like building a house....make a budget then add 20-25% for the stuff you want not need.

K

Don't get sucked into playing "follow the leader". A $50k panel and a bunch of other gingerbread is neat, but at the cost of weight, time, and money.

I have to admit that I'm shaking my head at this thread. I spent a whole lot less on my RV-10. You guys might not think it is "nice", but I love it, it has great performance, and we fly the heck out of it. I guess I'm fortunate in liking simple things. :)

I have to admit that I'm shaking my head at this thread. I spent a whole lot less on my RV-10. You guys might not think it is "nice", but I love it, it has great performance, and we fly the heck out of it. I guess I'm fortunate in liking simple things. :)

Yep. You can be in the air in a painted, IFR RV-10 with a new engine and prop for ~$150-160K. If you need a wall of glass in front of you or just have to have a $25K paint job, that costs more.

I built my First RV-10 on a budget and came in at right around $120,000. Did EVERYTHING myself, including engine overhaul of a low time prop strike IO-540 from Wentworth. I also did my own instrument wiring and paint. I would buy new surplus parts here on the forum to save money when I could. I lucked out on the engine, but in today's market, I think a really nice RV-10 could be built for $175K if the builder puts in the sweat equity, and that would be with a new engine/prop from Van's.

On the 200K+ Club. I felt I needed a 3-blade prop, full glass avionics suite and an Air Conditioner. Those were some serious cost drivers for my project. As pointed out I could have saved a lot of money if I didn't go that route.

That said my favorite thing about my plane is my panel, followed by my AC and then the prop. So glad I did it but it's defiantly a trade off in cost, time and useful load.

Last edited:

I guess we Turners think alike. I have a basic (rattle can) interior (but comfortable seats), a poor quality do-it-yourself paint job. But the airplane is light, BEW=1608 lbs. Full ifr panel, triple redundant attitude sources, back up power, etc. $130K (2010 dollars). Not counting hangar costs, tools I already owned.

It all depends on the mission. I built my Rv10 for cross country coast to cost flying and that’s what it does. So it has full glass Garmin IFR panel, New engine, prop, full areosport interior and a fancy pant job. 4 place mountain high O2 system that is used on just about every flight. So yes I’m north of $220k and would not change a thing about the plane. My view for the money its the best cross country plane a person could own.

It all depends on the mission. I built my Rv10 for cross country coast to cost flying and that’s what it does. So it has full glass Garmin IFR panel, New engine, prop, full areosport interior and a fancy pant job. 4 place mountain high O2 system that is used on just about every flight. So yes I’m north of $220k and would not change a thing about the plane. My view for the money its the best cross country plane a person could own.

Which is great. You chose the features you wanted and built the airplane for that. My fear (not really my fear, because I'm smart enough to avoid it) is that folks are being peer-pressured out of building airplanes: "I can't afford a $220K RV-10".

You don't have to. You can build one for 3/4 of that, and will have a great airplane.

well... since this went a little sideways, as expected, i think i'll ask one more question that ought to rile people up.

The engine is arguably the single most expensive purchase we'll make for an RV-10. Is there a good reason to not at least look at a factory rebuilt or overhauled option and save $10k in the process? I'm not proposing going and picking one up off ebay, but is there really that much risk getting one that was done by Lycoming at their factory?

well... since this went a little sideways, as expected, i think i'll ask one more question that ought to rile people up.

The engine is arguably the single most expensive purchase we'll make for an RV-10. Is there a good reason to not at least look at a factory rebuilt or overhauled option and save $10k in the process? I'm not proposing going and picking one up off ebay, but is there really that much risk getting one that was done by Lycoming at their factory?

What's the factory OH/reman cost? Add the cost of an engine core, and I bet you'll come out at least as good buying brand new from Van's.

But if the numbers work, they work. A factory rebuild is a fine option.

I am new in the 'process'... but, my preliminary IFR budget is a little north of $200k.

Stein is doing a really nice panel, QB fuse and wings... Wanting more than a 'production' interior..

I 'hope' to keep it below $225k, but again, just based on preliminary budget numbers.

Certainly can be done for much less.

T

www.tonysrv10.com

IMHO, the budget for an airplane is almost like the decision to buy an airplane. You start with the question "what is your mission?" For some, the "mission" is to stay within a budget. So, you build toward that goal. This might mean you don't get certain amenities and it might mean you won't get across the finish line as quickly (because your wiring your own panel, etc...), but you build inside the parameters of your budget.

Others have a mission to build what they "want" and the budget isn't their biggest concern. There are no wrong choices, simply different needs and personalities.

To answer OP's original question, my RV-10 will cost north of $260k when paint is complete. I know some will chastise me for spending that much, but there's a few things that lead to that high of a number.

1) I account for EVERY penny! Some only budget and count the $'s for major components, like engine, airframe, panel, paint, etc.... I tracked every penny spent down to every sheet of sandpaper and every tool I purchased to help along the way. Not sure everyone really accounts for all the little details of costs. (time lapse camera to film build, builders insurance because homeowners won't cover it, all those cool little tools that one will need like washer wrenches, prop wrenches, inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches, the DAR that charges VS the FAA that won't return calls, etc....)

2) Budget was not important to me, but getting what I want when I want it was important. I'll admit, another person could probably build the same plane for much less money. I admire that discipline, and wish I had more of it.

3) Time will also cost. In my number, I found an 8 time builder to help me out. It wasn't free, but it sped my time frame up. Also, when I went to order the engine, Lycoming was over 9 months out!! I got mine in 3. But that 6 months of time costs me about $8k.

In the end, I'm ok with the cost and the weight (1649 lbs) because I have the plane I want! I'll fly my 40th Phase 1 hour today! Couldn't be happier with the result!

Attachments

• wHakQdXiTnGNkK1z+UjTpA.jpg
    wHakQdXiTnGNkK1z+UjTpA.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IoJ7JkYRSPmkDeBlfFinbg.jpg
    IoJ7JkYRSPmkDeBlfFinbg.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 310
  • PtWQGkD5SiKY6MXiFY6hKQ.jpg
    PtWQGkD5SiKY6MXiFY6hKQ.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 267
Very nice!

IMHO, the budget for an airplane is almost like the decision to buy an airplane. You start with the question "what is your mission?" For some, the "mission" is to stay within a budget. So, you build toward that goal. This might mean you don't get certain amenities and it might mean you won't get across the finish line as quickly (because your wiring your own panel, etc...), but you build inside the parameters of your budget.

Others have a mission to build what they "want" and the budget isn't their biggest concern. There are no wrong choices, simply different needs and personalities.

To answer OP's original question, my RV-10 will cost north of $260k when paint is complete. I know some will chastise me for spending that much, but there's a few things that lead to that high of a number.

1) I account for EVERY penny! Some only budget and count the $'s for major components, like engine, airframe, panel, paint, etc.... I tracked every penny spent down to every sheet of sandpaper and every tool I purchased to help along the way. Not sure everyone really accounts for all the little details of costs. (time lapse camera to film build, builders insurance because homeowners won't cover it, all those cool little tools that one will need like washer wrenches, prop wrenches, inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches, the DAR that charges VS the FAA that won't return calls, etc....)

2) Budget was not important to me, but getting what I want when I want it was important. I'll admit, another person could probably build the same plane for much less money. I admire that discipline, and wish I had more of it.

3) Time will also cost. In my number, I found an 8 time builder to help me out. It wasn't free, but it sped my time frame up. Also, when I went to order the engine, Lycoming was over 9 months out!! I got mine in 3. But that 6 months of time costs me about $8k.

In the end, I'm ok with the cost and the weight (1649 lbs) because I have the plane I want! I'll fly my 40th Phase 1 hour today! Couldn't be happier with the result!

Really like your RV10, great job with everything!

This, and this alone is the biggest difference between basic planes and everything else. Couldn’t have said it better myself. While I spent a little less than you, I got exactly what I wanted - although now that I’m finished I realize I want a few things that I didnt know I wanted. So my next RV10 will cost more.

But yep, I like mine :). I’ve got 90 hours on it now and have loved every minute of it. I dont think I’d enjoy it as much if I only spent 175

Attachments

• E2183565-1CBB-448C-B46C-0C352AD1FB66.jpg
    E2183565-1CBB-448C-B46C-0C352AD1FB66.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 71004ED4-44A2-435A-ABB8-AF8D76BE1FE0.jpg
    71004ED4-44A2-435A-ABB8-AF8D76BE1FE0.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 232

I purchased a core engine from another RV10 builder (C4B5 off an Aztec), and have already had certified/rebuilt the case/crank/cam etc from the groups in Tulsa. With the additional parts needed to be purchased (including new cyls)/rebuilt and quote on assembly, I'll be looking at about $34k all in on the engine. Its a risk, though, because if I had a crank or case rejected it would have pushed that over $40k, which gets you closer to 'just buy new' territory.

Finished value

So I've been reading the thread on what it cost to build an RV10 and have to wonder, what's an RV10's worth once completed? If it cost 150-250K to build, what do they sell for completed. Obviously the equipment will vary but generally speaking. I looked around and really didn't come up with any answers, could find any for sale on the web.

Thanks!

So I've been reading the thread on what it cost to build an RV10 and have to wonder, what's an RV10's worth once completed? If it cost 150-250K to build, what do they sell for completed. Obviously the equipment will vary but generally speaking. I looked around and really didn't come up with any answers, could find any for sale on the web.

Thanks!

It is difficult to find answers in writing because nobody paying taxes (property or otherwise) wants to give the "enemy" hard data. ;-)

The reality is nicely built -10's generally sell for more (and sometimes significantly more) than the cost to build them.

It is difficult to find answers in writing because nobody paying taxes (property or otherwise) wants to give the "enemy" hard data. ;-)

The reality is nicely built -10's generally sell for more (and sometimes significantly more) than the cost to build them.

I would have to believe they would sell for at least a 100K more than a build cost. Is this a reasonable assumption?

I would have to believe they would sell for at least a 100K more than a build cost. Is this a reasonable assumption?

My sense is it is more like half that or less in most cases, but the market probably has a lot of variability and not many people (buyers or sellers) are sharing details broadly.

I don't think so. I am aware of a few RV-10's that have sold fairly recently. The low was around $180k and the high was around $240k. And a third was at $205k.

Back