What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke Tank Filling Procedure

If you're going to put a smoke system in an RV, do it like the pros. Install external hydraulic quick connects so there is never a need to pour or otherwise dispense oil inside the airplane.

Recently built smoke into a Rans S-7, with a cylindrical tank buried behind the baggage bin. There is no need to access it, other than at annual inspection.

Laundry detergent jug

I use a large size (1.5 gallon) detergent jug with a push button spout like this:

Costco-845613-Kirkland-Signature-Ultra-HE-Detergent.jpg

Crack open the smaller cap for air, hold the spout steady over the tank fill, and press the button. Reasonably effective, no mess. The brand of detergent doesn’t matter.

Well, I probably went overboard, but I have the full Classic Aero interior and didn't want to risk spilling any oil on the nice carpeting, and I got tired of taking the tank out every time to fill it up, so...

I got a spare cap and installed a Jiffy-Tite leakproof quick-disconnect fitting on it, and then bought a second pump and fabbed up the hoses so I can connect a hose from the pump to the tank, and the pump to the 5 gallon bucket of oil, turn it on and pump away. No muss, no fuss. (I also put the same leak-proof quick-disconnects on the hose from the tank to the exhaust and the vent line, so when I *do* have to remove the tank, there's no risk of oil in the line dribbling out).

https://www.jegs.com/i/Jiffy-tite/517/21406/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/Jiffy-tite/517/22406/10002/-1

Last edited:
We used an electrically reversible pump and an external hydraulic fitting. We use a DPDT panel switch to reverse the polarity of the motor and suck in via an external hydraulic fitting. When it’s full it flows overboard through the vent. To prevent a siphon the external fitting needs to seal when it is uncoupled, as well as a one way valve to the exhaust to prevent air coming back in that way.

I have Seen this installation

If you're going to put a smoke system in an RV, do it like the pros. Install external hydraulic quick connects so there is never a need to pour or otherwise dispense oil inside the airplane.

Recently built smoke into a Rans S-7, with a cylindrical tank buried behind the baggage bin. There is no need to access it, other than at annual inspection.

My set up is pretty simple, a jug and a funnel at home. At the airshows they usually have a hose and a nozzle and a pump. Ive seen some high dollar performers with the fittings set up they had to find a suitable bucket, pump the oil into the bucket, connect a hose and run it to the bucket then up load the smoke oil. I have my tank filled up and on my way before they found the bucket.

A roll of paper towlels is a must!

Cm

Testing new system soon. Curious what technique is used to prevent spilling oil everywhere........

I use this on my RV-7A smoke tank behind the passenger seat. Very controlled flow when squeezing the handle. When pumping oil into the can, the funnel can be detached and turned around to guide the oil into the can. Works great. I, too, have the Classic Aero interior.

Smoke Oil Refill Can

Back