What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-10

Really nice looking paint job. The color scheme and pattern are similar to what I'm planning, if I can ever get it to fly. Would you please send me a PM with the information on your paint guy, including a rough approximation of cost, so that I can use it for planning purposes. I'm a ways off from paint and still saving for my engine and prop, so I know those numbers will change. However, it would be good to have a ballpark, since your scheme and colors are so close to mine. Thanks.

Fortunately when I finished the build and it came to the interior and exterior colors, My wife and daughter said, for your safety, step away from the plane.

N299PW First Flight 7/6/19

Build started 6/8/18 quick build first flight 7/6/19 built only the the help of my wife. All glass IFR Dynon built with the help of Rob Hickman and his crew, Interior is South Florida Sports Aviation with the help of Eliane Lignelli. Painted and installed interior in the last 45 days.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ah_tpU3d3osdgj1xW0cH4bpAoUg8

Build started 6/8/18 quick build first flight 7/6/19 built only the the help of my wife.https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ah_tpU3d3osdgj1xW0cH4bpAoUg8

Plane is VERY impressive! But even more impressive to know you built this in 13 months!!! It took me that long just to build the cabin top and doors. :) I can't even imagine how you and your wife completed the whole project in that time frame and am in awe of that accomplishment! Way to go!!!

Very Nice! It appears you fabricated a trim strip for the lower front windscreen, which also looks very finished.

John,
Looked at your profile and saw your location and I think I live fairly close to you. Sent you a Private Message. Would love to come see you plane in person if possible.

Joe,
The tint on the windows is static cling tried to install regular tint but could not make the curve on the plexiglass without using high heat

Tint

Joe,
The tint on the windows is static cling tried to install regular tint but could not make the curve on the plexiglass without using high heat

Thanks,
As I understand regular tint with the adhesive is not good for plexiglass, degrades it over time. What brand of cling did you use and were you happy with results?

GILA 50146369 5% Static Cling Plus Limo Black 24”x6.5’ Window Tint

I would say it is not perfect but it does stay in place and it does keep the heat and sun out but its hard to get all the air bubbles out in a scale of 1-10 i give it an 8.5

John

John, I'm getting my seats from Eliane, too. They weren't able to accommodate crotch strap cutouts for the Crow harnesses, but I see you sort of plowed ahead anyway as I was seriously considering doing. How did you anchor the straps for the front passengers, and do you find them a hassle to adjust if they don't move with the seat bottom frame?

Like you, I am really pleased with AeroSport's interior pieces and Rob's panel work. Assume you got a local shop to cover your center console armrest in leather? That's the direction I was told to go.

Bill,

I just bolted it stationary to the front of the on the stick side wall, the crotch strap stays static and I have no problem with that we never adjust them. I had a trim shop install my seat cover and cover the center console.

John

At last, all done except the polishing

Here are the photos of the finished paint (the last major step). The concept is a tribute to my father, both images on the fin/rudder are portraits of my father in his handmade Indian art work. The name of the plane is 'Windwalker'.

DSC-3718.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3723.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Close ups of the art work

DSC-3719.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3720.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3721.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3722.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3724.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

DSC-3738.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The artwork was done by John Stahr. Wonderful to work with and a fantastic artist.

Last edited:
Man... your phone camera gets great photos! I found myself wishing I had brought the Canon today so I could share the photos I could have taken with it... but these are beautiful. Couldn't top them with mine... at least without Photoshop. ;)

Beautiful paint!

Most impressive, Leo.

I love your attention to detail - like how you painted the pilot's cuticles a matching blue :D

Will the N-number pass muster as far as contrast and lack of ornamentation? I suppose that depends on the mood the FAA is in on a given day.

I'm showing these to my wife. They make the -10 look absolutely awe-inspiring.

Do you mind showing us some pictures of the antenna farm on the belly, and where you stashed the ones we're used to seeing sticking out elsewhere? Like you seem to have done, I went for a minimum of protuberances in the slipstream. What kind of cruise numbers is the Windwalker posting?

Last edited:
Most impressive, Leo.

I love your attention to detail - like how you painted the pilot's cuticles a matching blue :D

Will the N-number pass muster as far as contrast and lack of ornamentation? I suppose that depends on the mood the FAA is in on a given day.

I'm showing these to my wife. They make the -10 look absolutely awe-inspiring.

Do you mind showing us some pictures of the antenna farm on the belly, and where you stashed the ones we're used to seeing sticking out elsewhere? Like you seem to have done, I went for a minimum of protuberances in the slipstream. What kind of cruise numbers is the Windwalker posting?

The matching blue was from wet sanding the base coat on the wheel pants. My hands looked like the 'Blue Man' before I washed them several times. :)

I'm not positive on the N number. My DAR was there helping us do the paint prep and mask. If push comes to shove and I get called on it, I will add some vinyl 3" numbers to make it "legal". The DAR said he has never seen anyone called on their N number, but I guess it could happen.

Here is a photo of the belly we took Friday. It shows the ghost eagle as well as the antennas;

DSC-3733.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The plane has two com antennas just behind the rear seat and the shark fin ADSB/Transponder centered behind the battery. You can see them in this next pic as well. Everything else is internal. I have four GPS antennas three spaced along the top in the overhead console and one on the glare shield. The ELT is run up the inside of the B pillar (just behind the door) and covered by the overhead interior cloth treatment. No issues with reception on any of the antennas. Here is the pic:

DSC-3737.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

So far in cruise I am seeing around 150-155 kts at 65% give or take with about 11-11.5 gals/hr lean of peak. I got an extra 3 kts out of the CPI2 lean advance of 3 degrees switch. You really can't see the slight increase unless the air is smooth.
I haven't really spent much time at altitude WOT so far. In phase 1 I did spend a little time at 7000 feet and saw 168-170 kts and about 13 gal/hr around 50 degrees rich of peak if I recall.

The most fun is doing pattern work. Off the ground in 600 feet or so, hold it above the runway at about 20 feet. At about 120-130 knots pull into a chandelle to pattern altitude. awesome fun!

Stunning!!!

Leo:
The bar is raised once again...
Glad you included pictures of the arrows so that the level of detail can be seen. Also, I'm especially grateful that you included a shot of the belly - it wouldn't be the same looking at this from a dolly.

For those that don't know, Leo is located in "Echo" row at KPTK. His plane makes it 5 RVs in this row - two beautiful RV10s, an RV 6, RV7A, and an RV9A. If I include Mike Lord's Grumman Tiger as an "honorary RV", we're up to six!

Hope you can start planning that trip to Utah so your Dad can see this up close and in person - I can't think of a finer tribute.

Best,
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I really want to give a shout out to John Stahr at www.stahrdesign.com for his talent and hard work to bring my personal concept to reality. He helped me refine the concept, provided working illustrations, made suggestions, etc..

With cancellations due to COVID John was able to jump on my project right away. For the price of an airline ticket to get him from the West Coast to my home in Michigan the plane went from white base color (I had completed the white before first flight) to complete in 10 days. He stayed at our home saving me a pile of expense $s, and was a delightful guest. He also worked me hard with sanding, masking, disassembly and assembly, even gave me the paint gun so I can brag I did some of the painting (very little)

For those curious about cost I will only say that it was not much more than I would have paid for a standard base color with a strip or two. If you want something special, give him a call. You will not regret it!

N688CD is Finally Complete

Well, i dont think these things are ever done, but its good enough for me, for now. Thanks to Jonathan at PlaneSchemer for a great paint scheme and Lancaster Aero for pulling it off.

Attachments

• 96C6B9F3-3F96-4AC8-97EC-E129DBBB7A05.jpg
    96C6B9F3-3F96-4AC8-97EC-E129DBBB7A05.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 693
Well, i dont think these things are ever done, but its good enough for me, for now. Thanks to Jonathan at PlaneSchemer for a great paint scheme and Lancaster Aero for pulling it off.

I like it! I wonder why more people don't use a dark/matte color on the top cowl. My Mooney has a metallic burgundy top cowl and the dark color mitigates, but doesn't eliminate, glare.

Really like the paint job. Enjoy it.

Larry

I like it! I wonder why more people don't use a dark/matte color on the top cowl. My Mooney has a metallic burgundy top cowl and the dark color mitigates, but doesn't eliminate, glare.
Mine is glossy. Looks great and doesnt create glare

Airworthiness and First Flight

Another RV-10 took to the skies today. N14EW became a legal flying machine after DAR Arnold Holmes’ thorough, educational and enjoyable inspection. Thank you for the assist Jessie Saint, Zach Soles, Galo Ortiz and your outstanding teams at Saint Aviation and ITEC.

C2EC7A5D-BC94-4BDD-96D1-58D675DAEE3C.jpg

D6E18086-E9CF-4D0C-BE9B-203ED8923506.jpg

First flight followed inspection and she flew straight and great like an RV should.

28192C58-167C-4E8C-8C28-BBB149EC188C.jpg

Finally done!

Exactly 4 years (to the day) from driving my first rivet, I now have a completed airplane (at least as complete as an experimental goes :)). Jonathan at Evoke and his team did an excellent job on the paint. Stuck halfway home in Vicksburg Mississippi today, waiting on low ceilings (400 ft) to lift in San Antonio area. Tomorrow my baby should be finally home! Let the adventures begin!

Attachments

• C5344C24-5045-4033-8AE1-8C88AB2B692B.jpeg
    C5344C24-5045-4033-8AE1-8C88AB2B692B.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 905
  • 80CABAC8-0759-4C20-8B18-CA2C71A2D0E2.jpeg
    80CABAC8-0759-4C20-8B18-CA2C71A2D0E2.jpeg
    728.1 KB · Views: 619
  • 71623355-CF20-421F-BAAD-F2FC76CCC9E0.jpeg
    71623355-CF20-421F-BAAD-F2FC76CCC9E0.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 468
  • 1189E596-0FCA-4959-B025-1DB973BA8B01.jpeg
    1189E596-0FCA-4959-B025-1DB973BA8B01.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 524
  • E28E5261-529C-4575-9FD1-061DD0743A55.jpeg
    E28E5261-529C-4575-9FD1-061DD0743A55.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 1,111
  • C492736E-24A0-4ED0-9571-3B0453683D8E.jpeg
    C492736E-24A0-4ED0-9571-3B0453683D8E.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 934
  • FF46FACE-0349-4DA3-AC66-458AC7689319.jpeg
    FF46FACE-0349-4DA3-AC66-458AC7689319.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 927
  • 1C44AFA4-D5ED-44C4-B401-8F4D4296C0AD.jpeg
    1C44AFA4-D5ED-44C4-B401-8F4D4296C0AD.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 485
Randy, you did an outstanding job! The interior, the panel and the paint will evoke a lot of lookers when you pull up to the ramp!
Bill

Got to have a close up look at Randy’s plane this week when I was dropping off my 10 to Evoke, they were doing the final polishing, plane looks amazing, great job on the build!!. Jonathan and his crew do a fantastic paint and finish , can’t wait to get mine back. Enjoy the plane Randy. Pete.

Got to have a close up look at Randy’s plane this week when I was dropping off my 10 to Evoke, they were doing the final polishing, plane looks amazing, great job on the build!!. Jonathan and his crew do a fantastic paint and finish , can’t wait to get mine back. Enjoy the plane Randy. Pete.

Thanks Pete! It was great to meet you and your wife yesterday! Enjoyed talking RV10’s with you. Post a pic when yours gets done. Can’t wait to see it.

I got to meet Randy on Saturday when I dropped off our plane for painting and he was preparing to fly his finished plane home. Randy, your plane is immaculate all round. Simply beautiful. Now it is our turn to wait......
Hope you have a safe flight home. It was very nice to meet and talk to you. Looking forward meeting again.
Johan and Miemie.

Lancaster

Lancaster does great work!! He did my 182. When my RV is ready it will be headed there. Maybe the line will die down a bit once I'm ready.

Back