What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tires and tubes time

Mconner7

Well Known Member
Had a flat last week, was a worn tube. Am thinking Condor 600x6 6 ply with leak guard tubes (yes I have big tires as I fly off muddy grass).

On the road flying for work, what size is the nose tire? Does it also need a 6 ply rating it is 4 enough?

Has anyone used conventional tubes and rolled fix-a-flat in the tube before assembly to make it a leak guard?

Any other tire brands worth the extra money? I cannot use retreads for clearance issues with my pants.

Low air pressure = flat tire (guaranteed)

My tire of preference: Michelin Air with Air Stop tubes.

DITTO on the Fix-a Flat goop, not for aircraft use. This stuff is okay for your car in a pinch, but will settle to the bottom of your tube and cause a serious out of balance issue. I know our aircraft are experimental, which gives us a lot of leeway, but we should all strive to use "aircraft" quality parts and methods whenever possible.

I concur with Walt's suggestion above all the way. Especially with respect to inner tubes. Steer away from Leak Guard. We have had terrible luck locally with them as the butyl rubber (more like plastic) mold lines come apart. Michelin Air Stops (also butyl) have proven to be robust and great. Use plenty of baby powder with butyl tubes.

Jim

Back