Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-23-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
That settles it. Due to risky and trechsrous flying conditions, the Oceano luncheon is cancelled. I just canít be responsible for people flying in with fog and smoke in the area. The last thing we need is an rv crashing while flying in bad weather and starting a fire when the state is already burning up.
Since all you did was suggest a fly in 4 months ago and others set the date and continued the discussion, looks like it is still going to happen with or without you. Weather permitting, Iíll be there.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Haha! I'm based at KHAF, and yes the fog this year has been atrocious. I'd have to win the toss twice times to make this trip work - I need VFR on both ends.

Been using the enforced hangar time to good use, though. I just upgraded my panel to be IFR-capable; now I need to get the ticket.

Still hope to see you all at L52 sometime soon.
You'll have a lot of fun once you get that ticket! I flew a spam can into HAF yesterday for lunch - ceilings were actually higher than usual. Hope they get the AWOS fixed soon though. Doing IMC approaches into those coastal airports is a blast and great experience.

I'm far more worried about the smoke in the Tahoe area preventing me from leaving than the weather in Oceano. I'll also still be there if weather permits.
Exemption waived, 2022 donation made
Old 08-24-2021, 01:58 PM

Default We land and get tied down at Oceano...then what?

As a CFI, one of my favorite discussions is with students showing me their XC mission planning. They work so hard on routes, calculations, and other planning and are proud to tell me how they are going to get to whatever airport they planned. I love to then ask..."so you landed on the runway, then what?" Usually, the blood drains from their face as they realize they have no idea what to do on the ground at their selected airport. Very funny.

To avoid making that mistake myself, once we tie down at Oceano for all this fun...then what? Are we meeting at a hangar, or restaurant, or just walking around? What should we look for?

Thanks!
Fuse/Canopy Complete
Engine mounted...ready for the other 90%
Old 08-25-2021, 01:11 AM

Iím still planning on being there. Looking forward to meeting a few fellow RV people!
Old 08-25-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLittleton View Post
As a CFI, one of my favorite discussions is with students showing me their XC mission planning. They work so hard on routes, calculations, and other planning and are proud to tell me how they are going to get to whatever airport they planned. I love to then ask..."so you landed on the runway, then what?" Usually, the blood drains from their face as they realize they have no idea what to do on the ground at their selected airport. Very funny.

To avoid making that mistake myself, once we tie down at Oceano for all this fun...then what? Are we meeting at a hangar, or restaurant, or just walking around? What should we look for?

Thanks!
Thereís a restaurant about a 3 minute walk from the airport. Itís a railroad car or something like that. I would assume some will grab a bite there..
Old 08-25-2021, 10:32 PM

Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Thereís a restaurant about a 3 minute walk from the airport. Itís a railroad car or something like that. I would assume some will grab a bite there..
It depends what the beach scene looks like. I'll decide on final; rather my passenger will decide while I fly final. Just saying....

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 08-25-2021, 10:39 PM

Default Can You Say "Labor Day Weekend"?

I don't know how many of you have been around the "Tri Cities" area during any holiday period - but it gets pretty crowded.

Just Sayin'

HFS
Old 08-26-2021, 05:48 PM

Default SBP backup

I'm based out of KSBP and plan on hopping down to Oceano if it's clear. Really looking forward to it!

What to do when you're there: short walk to the Rock n Roll Diner (train car) or Old Juan's Cantina for Mexican Food, or a little farther to Sylvester's burgers for a milkshake, or the other way down to the beach (there's a little candy store at the end of the road, too). I wouldn't worry for a minute about Labor Day crowds. If it is crowded they'll all be off roading on the beach.

If the weather at Oceano is a bust, but SBP is clear, I don't mind picking up a bunch of Costco dogs and hosting a little meet up at my hangar. I'm West side of SBP (self serve fuel side) right behind the Avionics Shop.

Hope to see lots of folks next weekend!
1974 Bonanza V35B because n+1
TBD RV-15.... as soon as they'll take my money
2021 VAF dues paid! (recurring monthly payment setup)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:17 AM

I will be in SoCal for meetings this week until Friday. My plan is to try out some airplane camping at oceano as long as the ceilings cooperate Friday night. Hope to see you all there on Saturday!
Old 09-03-2021, 02:43 PM

Default Fly in

I will be there (weather permitting). I might be a tad late as I might fly some young eagles in the morning