What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silpruf question

Weefle

Well Known Member
For those of you who used the Silpruf method to install your windows how many tubes of the stuff did you go through. I’m about to pull the trigger on ordering some and want to ensure I order enough.

Thanks

Keith

I'm pretty sure I bought 5 tubes, but only used 3.
Not something I wanted to run out of mid-window.
4 would probably be enough to not have to worry about it.

Silpruf supplier

Hello, I do not recall how many tubes I used for the door windows of my RV-10. I will soon be doing the rear windows and can report back.

I did just buy 3 tubes of Aluminum Grey. I have used Metrosealant and placed a note on the order to look for the longest shelf life possible. The tubes I received 2 weeks ago are good through Dec 2023. I should be good.

I also just attached the windscreen. We used one tube of West Systems SIX10 epoxy adhesive. The windscreen gets fiber-glassed in and I was concerned the Silproof would provide too much flexibility and crack the fiberglass fairing. I know of many RV-10's that have used SIX10 for the windscreen. worked great.

Mike

The ProSeal is much more durable. In my testing, I took a thin coat of Silpruf and I was able to roll it off (as mentioned in the videos) fairly easily. Given this airplane is flying at 200 mph through weather, I thought it would be best to use something an OEM would use (I fly a business jet and it is what they use) granted we are not flying at 500 mph either. :)

The nice thing about Experimental, you have the ability to make the decision. I tried getting an opinion from Van's but they wouldn't comment either way as they didn't test it. Weld-on is a proven product.

With that said, there are plenty of builders out there that have used it. I'd be curious if there is anybody on here with a few years worth of experience. I only have 60 hours on mine with limited rain exposure.

I did it exactly as shown on the Sportsman 2 plus 2 window install video. You will notice that in this video he has you apply a base layer and let’s it dry. You do not just lay down a single thin coat and install. You need to follow the steps in that video. I recommend watching this video a couple times and taking written notes so you have a quick reference when doing the install. Silpruf is silicone. It is 100 percent UV resistant. The negative is you do not want it to get on anything that is going to be painted or you risk getting fish eyes. Be very diligent in taping and protecting unpainted surfaces. Silpruf is offered in grey and black, so decide on color. It is expiration date sensitive so make sure you get fresh stock and not something near the expiration date. I did the install almost 5 years ago (using about 3 tubes). I flew the plane for over a year without the joggle filled (Joggle gets filled in after the plane is painted). The plane is outside most of the time while traveling. And zero issues. Finally, if you ever need to remove and replace a window, it much simpler and no cutting of fiberglass is required.

Last edited:
Just posted this in another thread but it look like it is more appropriate here. I plan on doing the silpruf method on the door and side windows which should prevent paint chipping there but does anyone know how do you use this method on the windshield at the bottom where you have to layer up fiberglass onto the windshield so there is no gap between edge of window and canopy?

Just posted this in another thread but it look like it is more appropriate here. I plan on doing the silpruf method on the door and side windows which should prevent paint chipping there but does anyone know how do you use this method on the windshield at the bottom where you have to layer up fiberglass onto the windshield so there is no gap between edge of window and canopy?

For the windscreen, I only used silpruf along the top and sides that connect to the cabin top flange.
The base was done per plans with a fiberglass layup.

I shaped a two piece aluminum bottom fairing for the windscreen. I did the windscreen the same procedure as the other windows. I created a bed of Silpruf and then beaded the windscreen in the Silpruf.

I shaped a two piece aluminum bottom fairing for the windscreen. I did the windscreen the same procedure as the other windows. I created a bed of Silpruf and then beaded the windscreen in the Silpruf.

Do you, by chance, have any photos of what you did?

Back