What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What E bike fits into RV-8

E-bike in an 8

depending on the frame size you will most likely have to pull off the front fork and handlebars. I have transported my large frame gravel bike in the back the rear seat back would need to be removed and I would highly recommend removing the rear stick. I was constantly worried about something shifting into the stick at a bad time.
Unbound bike in RV.jpg

Last edited:
depending on the frame size you will most likely have to pull off the front fork and handlebars. I have transported my large frame gravel bike in the back the rear seat back would need to be removed and I would highly recommend removing the rear stick. I was constantly worried about something shifting into the stick at a bad time.
View attachment 31356

This^^. Not sure about ebikes, but a full size mountain bike will fit pretty easily in the back with other camping gear. Definitely remove the stick!! I pull the entire front fork assy, leaving the handlebars and all shifters/brakes intact. Then wrap the pieces in a shipping blanket and bungees.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
JackRabbit fits in RV-4

I have just acquired a micro ebike called a JackRabbit. It is totally electric (with no pedals), weighs only 24lbs and goes for 10 miles at 20 mph. Great fun to ride even for a 6footer like me. It fits in the back of my RV-4 with the front wheel, handle bars and saddle removed, so it should certainly fit in the -8. I had to remove my rear seat back to get it in.

Attachments

• received_6717468158368511.jpeg
    received_6717468158368511.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PXL_20231109_235708337.jpg
    PXL_20231109_235708337.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 119
I’ve been seeing a lot in the news about e-bike batteries catching fire. I’d be concerned about carrying one of those in the cockpit.

I’ve been seeing a lot in the news about e-bike batteries catching fire. I’d be concerned about carrying one of those in the cockpit.

The chemistry in the e-bike batteries is the same chemistry in your phone, Ipad, laptop batteries. How often do you concern yourself with whether those batteries will catch fire in the cockpit? I know quite a few stories of those phones or laptops catching fire also.

Just another point to ponder.

I have definitely thought about my iPhone catching fire. But two things make that much less risky for me:

1) the phone is much less likely to blow up because Apple sources high quality UL approved batteries and has a brand image to protect. It’s hard to find cases of them blowing up. E-bikes are notorious for blowing up because they are often made by relatively small, inexperienced companies that source cheap Chinese batteries that are more unstable. It’s very easy to find stories of e-bikes blowing up. One caused a house fire that killed three people near me a few day ago.

2) when an iPhone blows up it is a small fire, when an e-bike blows up everything around it is toast:

https://youtu.be/v5jGYWhGnJ4?si=n2qPc9XkgZ_DEa1K

https://youtu.be/XcoU2mXJJ3k?si=keie6eAtozOqxexF

The chemistry in the e-bike batteries is the same chemistry in your phone, Ipad, laptop batteries. How often do you concern yourself with whether those batteries will catch fire in the cockpit? I know quite a few stories of those phones or laptops catching fire also.

Just another point to ponder.

Chemistry yes, but manufacturing and QI of both batteries and chargers varies widely, and as you would expect given the price point and many "offshore" companies' dedication to quality control, the end quality is not consistent. Apple goes to great length and expense to make sure that the batteries and chargers they use meet all the appropriate international standards including FAA Advisory Circular AC 120-76D. Look at your e-bike battery and see if it does. I'll bet not.

Last edited:
Not to bring this off topic, but how about a pedal bike? I certainly could use the exercise...

Pedal bikes fit fine

Moe,
Look at post #3&4 of this thread for pedal bikes in 8’s
I have flown with my gravel bike and my 29er mtn bike xl frames too so most all bikes should fit. You will need to remove the fork and handle bars along with the wheels, I also like to remove the derailleur too so it doesn’t get bent. I use foam pipe insulation and tape to protect the frame from any vibration. REMOVE THE STICK! Bring a tool kit and bike grease and some time for the disassembly/ assembly, like anything else it gets faster the more you do it.
Enjoy
Mark

Not sure about in the 8, but I can fit two Citizen Tokyo's (6 speed) in my 7. Weigh 30 lbs each. I am 6'4" and it's big enough for me.

https://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=10

On the e-bike, I too worry about the battery issue. If I had to, I could likely toss my phone/ipad out the canopy- not gonna happen with a bike. Also, I seem to see a lot of folks complain about having a few extra lbs of ballast around the middle- what better way to get rid of that?

I have a two Bromptons that I converted to electric using Swytch kits with +25 mile range. I'm pretty certain folded up, one bike can easily fit in your 8. Total weight is 33 lbs for each bike. As for the batteries, they're detach and placed in lipo fireproof bags in case they do combust.

Paging Dan Horton to the white phone

I'd like to see a LiPO battery inside a battery bag inside a fuselage mock-up, touched off and recorded for posterity.

I bet the results are nothing I'd ever want to share the cockpit space with while trying to get back on the ground.

I'd like to see a LiPO battery inside a battery bag inside a fuselage mock-up, touched off and recorded for posterity.

I bet the results are nothing I'd ever want to share the cockpit space with while trying to get back on the ground.

I have seen videos online of LiPO batteries catching fire, but the events I have seen occurred while being charged or because of physical damage. I imagine it is possible but I have not seen examples of one of those batteries just “spontaneously” igniting for no apparent reason.

As an aside, the EarthX LiFePO batteries have a different chemistry that is more stable than the LiPO. Here is a link to a video shared a few months ago of EarthX employees trying their best to ignite a LiFePO battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcKIIiHi6U

Back