What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 11

My stab intersection was rather full already, so I went with a shelf attached to the aft portion of the outermost left wing rib. Heated pitot on that side and Archer Antenna in the wingtip, no issues.

The G3X installation manual states:

B.2.2 RV-6/8/10
In RV-6/8/10 aircraft, the GMU magnetometer is frequently mounted on a rigid aluminum shelf suspended between the aft fuselage longerons, midway between the baggage bulkhead and empennage. If this location is used, ensure that the seat belt cables and attachment hardware are not magnetized. The wingtip can be used as an alternate GMU magnetometer mounting location for RV aircraft. Ensure adequate separation from steel aileron counterweights, transmitting antennas, and lighting fixtures, and follow the wingtip light wiring guidance for in Section 15.4 or Section 16.4.

Tail

I recently upgraded my -8 and at Stein’s recommendation I mounted my -11 directly on the shelf below the vertical stab. The subsequent calibration showed no interference and the unit functions perfectly.

I recently upgraded my -8 and at Stein’s recommendation I mounted my -11 directly on the shelf below the vertical stab. The subsequent calibration showed no interference and the unit functions perfectly.

I tried this location in my RV-6, but my manual trim caused interference in actual usage, moved it to the suggested Garmin location, on a shelf behind the baggage.

Can anyone share a rough location for the GMU 11 Magnetometer on the RV8?

I had a GMU22 on a shelf I'd built 2 bulk heads behind the baggage shelf and always had intermitant issues, replaced it with a GMU 11 on the left wing tip, my AP servo and heated pito are on the right wing. It has been functioning without a problem for a year and half now.

I tried this location in my RV-6, but my manual trim caused interference in actual usage, moved it to the suggested Garmin location, on a shelf behind the baggage.

GMU-11 under the VS has been working perfect on my RV-6 for more than 5-years. I had manual trim when I installed the GMU-11 and there was no interference on the Garmin tests.

Don’t forget to use non-magnetic hardware. I used brass screws washers and nuts. One of my friends lent me a brass screwdriver and another pal made me a small aluminum wrench. But I’m sure I overthought this.

I think anyone mounting it in the tail or by the stabilizer must realize that the magnetometer can receive interference from metals near by. I have a dynon magnetometer mounted in the tail from the previous builder. I noticed the autopilot not always tracking straight with the heading wandering at times (this is the D180). I then installed a G5 coupled with the GMU11 at the wing tip. It is always rock solid and agrees with any painted cardinal direction compass at any airport. The dynon not so much. Both have been calibrated according to the respective manuals. They sometimes don't agree by as much as 5 degrees. This may be just the older dynon equipment, but I doubt it. If I change the dynon magnetometer for the newer system it will go in the opposite wing tip for me.

Left wing outboard rib. Sorry pic reversed and inverted when uploaded.

Attachments

• 20190621_122306.jpg
    20190621_122306.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 165
Wingtip generally works good but you still have lights/hardware and aileron counterweight to contend with.[ CAN bus should be twisted/shielded pair separate from power wires.]

Last edited:
Want to verify - The GMU11 connector can point forward or aft, but the GMU11 must be level and straight. Correct?

Second question, what is the amount a dihedral on a RV8 wing?

Last edited:
Back