What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you convert a Slider to Tip-Up?

danielhv

Well Known Member
kit is about 80% done… went slider but I think I’m leaning more towards a tip up. Is converting a possibility?

Tipper

kit is about 80% done… went slider but I think I’m leaning more towards a tip up. Is converting a possibility?

Depends on how far along. If you have the electronic plans, check the pertinent pages.
F705 Bulkhead is different. Rollbar is behind you instead of in front. Structure supporting the roll bars is obviously different.
Substructure forward of the panel is very different.

No doubt... But that visibility the tip up offers has me really reconsidering.

True enough. I built a Fastback RV8 with the tip over canopy, and the visibility was amazing - no roll bar to block my view……. but opening a slider after landing and hanging my arm out the side, while enjoying the cool breeze was a game changer for me on my latest build. When you are on final approach in any RV, the airflow through the fresh air vents seems like it stops, and it gets very warm- hot. Sliding that canopy open when under control on rollout cures it instantly. They both look really cool on the ground, so builder preference - it’s good to have an option. Best of luck with your build. You won’t be disappointed, no matter which way you go.

Build the plane you want

In the end, it’s sheet metal work and money. I am guessing you haven’t made the big cut on your existing canopy so you can still change your mind. It will slow down the build considerably as you remove work you have done, replace some parts and then move forward again. But as I said it’s your plane, make it the way you want it.

I chose a tip up canopy for the visibility. There have been 105 degree days taxiing that were difficult but those days are rare for me.

In the end, it’s sheet metal work and money. I am guessing you haven’t made the big cut on your existing canopy so you can still change your mind. It will slow down the build considerably as you remove work you have done, replace some parts and then move forward again. But as I said it’s your plane, make it the way you want it.

Plus one for this post which answers the question instead of trying to convince that one's choice is better than yours.

To chime in on the question, it depends on how far it has been done in regards to the canopy build. Is the 80% refers to the fuselage or 80% of the canopy portion has been done. If it is the lather, it will be fair amount of work to be done.

I have built both, and the degree of difficulty is about the same when starting from scratch. Depending on your level of completion you may have quite a bit of work ahead. I loved the tip up visibility, but comes with a price such as water ingress, ground ventilation and rigidity. The slider when equipped with SuperTracks is a nice setup, easy baggage access, terrific ground ventilation. They both probably offer the same nose over protection, however I think the slider offers superior bird strike protection due to the more rigid front windscreen and support bar. In-flight egress in the tipper (with eject mechanism installed) is a no brainer, pull the handle and it's "gone". Everything is a compromise, your bird, build it as you like. Good luck!

True enough. I built a Fastback RV8 with the tip over canopy, and the visibility was amazing - no roll bar to block my view……. but opening a slider after landing and hanging my arm out the side, while enjoying the cool breeze was a game changer for me on my latest build. When you are on final approach in any RV, the airflow through the fresh air vents seems like it stops, and it gets very warm- hot. Sliding that canopy open when under control on rollout cures it instantly. They both look really cool on the ground, so builder preference - it’s good to have an option. Best of luck with your build. You won’t be disappointed, no matter which way you go.

That! Totally agree.;)

I built the slider and would do it again. I don’t notice any restriction to the vision. Its much better than any production plane. I really like to be able to do engine starts and taxi with the canopy open on a hot day. I bought a mod kit to lock the canopy in a slightly open (5 inch) position for taxiing on hot days. I don’t like the look of the canopy support struts on the tip up, nor the leaks when it rains. I don’t want the tip up canopy to be a sail in the wind or someone’s prop wash. I think it’s easier to get in/out and baggage too with a slider.

Stay the course. At 80% done you may have more work ahead of you than you think. Making major changes now wil add significant more time to the project.

Bevan

Attachments

• 8DFD8834-88B3-4161-8885-EFD46D391FA3.jpg
    8DFD8834-88B3-4161-8885-EFD46D391FA3.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 129

I chose a tip up canopy for the visibility. There have been 105 degree days taxiing that were difficult but those days are rare for me.
Is “Battle Ground” north or south of the Mason/Dixon line? Anywhere south of I-70 and the heat from April to November can be an important determiner of build decisions and of flying activities.

As for the OP, there is some canopy specific construction that occurs on the seat back cross member where that piece attaches to the fuselage side. There are some gussets and riveting that differs from slider to tip-up. So, it depends on how much effort to alter that supporting structure.

I standby my comment

Build the airplane you want, not what everyone else thinks you want. Regardless where I live, taxiing in 105 temperatures is hot. But you should decide what airplane you want.

Back