What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SureFly + RMI

XOverZero

Well Known Member
A question for the instrument Jedi out there: How does the Rocky Mountain Instruments microMonitor receive input for its tach function?

Exploring replacing a Slick mag with a SureFly (O-320 D1A), but don’t know if the RMI will work with the SureFly signal. Bill at SureFly searched the available RMI spec data. It doesn’t provide the answer.

Anyone have actual experience with this setup?

A question for the instrument Jedi out there: How does the Rocky Mountain Instruments microMonitor receive input for its tach function?

Exploring replacing a Slick mag with a SureFly (O-320 D1A), but don’t know if the RMI will work with the SureFly signal. Bill at SureFly searched the available RMI spec data. It doesn’t provide the answer.

Anyone have actual experience with this setup?

My RMI uMonitor works fine with the SureFly, both ignitions check the same as two mags.

Last edited:
No, just replaced the impulse Slick with the SureFly. I think there may be a diode(s) somewhere in the RMI p-lead circuit but I don't recall the details, been 24 years since I wired it. ;)

No, just replaced the impulse Slick with the SureFly. I think there may be a diode(s) somewhere in the RMI p-lead circuit but I don't recall the details, been 24 years since I wired it. ;)

I remember using a capacitor in the P-Lead when I had an RMI microMonitor for my engine instrument and it worked great. I was able to change it to the electronic signal that the LASAR ignition produced but did not like that the RPM value went away when turning LASAR off so that it was just a conventual mag. Switched to a sensor that detected the rotating magnet so that I always had a signal regardless if the LASAR was on or off. (Electronic Ignition or conventential mag mode)

SureFly has a 'box' that can be added for a few hundred USD to get an RPM signal. Most likely, the RMI microMonitor can be reprogrammed to read the correct RPM with that box.

Yep, maybe it was a capacitor instead of a diode. But I didn't have to do any reprogramming to get the SureFly rpm to read correctly, the uMonitor must think it is still seeing the Slick.

Back