What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Numatx rivet squeezer

Looks like you’ve got the procedure down. Curious what Hy-tek/Numatx says. Maybe a trapped air pocket in the intensifier? No magic here. See what they say.

I had to tighten the bleed screw below flush to keep it from backing out. Once I did that I've done my entire tail kit with mine in every spot it was possible. It works flawlessly.

To anyone that has a lot of experience with rivet squeezers, would you spend the money for one of these nematz squeezers? I am about to start on my SX-300 build. I already have a conventional pneumatic squeezer.

To anyone that has a lot of experience with rivet squeezers, would you spend the money for one of these nematz squeezers? I am about to start on my SX-300 build. I already have a conventional pneumatic squeezer.

I like it a lot better than a traditional pneumatic squeezer because it doesn't have to be adjusted for different rivet lengths and it has a foot pedal that makes using it a lot easier. It's not necessary to have, but it is very nice to have.

I like it a lot better than a traditional pneumatic squeezer because it doesn't have to be adjusted for different rivet lengths and it has a foot pedal that makes using it a lot easier. It's not necessary to have, but it is very nice to have.

+1 - one of my favorite tool purchases

This from the Inventor, no longer the Numatx Owner:

One thing that never gets mentioned (maybe I should have stated it clearly in the manual), is that when you suck up a new charge of fluid, you hold the syringe with the hose pointed straight up, and like the doctors in the movies you FIRST discharge any bubbles from the syringe and tubing BEFORE hooking the tubing up to the bleed fitting on the intensifier.

You try to be as careful as possible when hooking up the hose from the syringe, as if you fail to connect the tubing after a few attempts, you can get air in the tip of the tubing, from the tubing flicking. When you have the tubing from the syringe connected, you THEN loosen the bleed fitting and inject the syringe full of fluid. Once injected, you close down the fitting before disconnecting the tubing. Repeating this exact same process for each charge of fluid.

Bleeding is the only real Achilles heal of unit. 98% of the time when someone had an issue (as some have stated in this thread) with the unit failing to set an -4 AD rivet at about 85 psi, it was due to bleeding. Once in awhile, there was an issue with the unit, usually seal related.

If after your most valiant bleeding attempt you still have an issue, keep the hand-held portion in a vise or such, at the highest point in the system (hose running down to the intensifier on the floor with no extreme sags) and pull out the bleed plug. Let the unit sit over-night and then check if the fluid comes up to nearly the top of the bleed port. If it doesn't there was air in the system. If it does, then maybe there is an issue with the unit.

Last edited:
TLDR: My hydraulic hose may have been too long (6 feet should be max) and the swelling in the hose may be the culprit. Be careful when you buy one.

Detail: After a back-and-forth with Numatx, we settled on sending it back for evaluation. (Dave at Numatx is super responsive.) I shipped it yesterday then got a note from Numatx that after talking to engineering, they think my hydraulic hose might be too long. (It was already assembled when I got it and I didn't replace the hose so I don't know how that would happen, but ...)

After discussions with engineering, it looks like the hose you are using is longer than 6’. If it is, the system will not operate correctly due to hose swelling and force needed.[\QUOTE]

Indeed, I believe my hose was at least 7 feet, but I've already shipped it and can't confirm.

I borrowed an older Numatx from an RV-14 builder friend and sure enough, his works as expected. I'll post again once I hear the results of Numatx's evaluation of my unit.

Side note, you used to be able to get these with nice braided TS Flightlines hoses, but now you can only get them with bulky and clumsy black hydraulic hoses. Again from Dave:

...we ran into issues with that hose and have replaced it with the black hydraulic hoses.[\QUOTE]

It's too bad because the loner I have has the TS Flightlines hose and it's so much easier to work with.

@ROTARY7
Thank you for the info. Everything you said makes sense.

Good that you seemed to have found the issue. I love my Numatx and I do have the TS Flightlines hose. I can't imagine building without it. I'm sure you could purchase a hose directly from TS if you wanted that option.

Don't mean to go too far off topic but since this thread is active and has the attention of the Numatx users...does anyone have current info on the adapter to use it on a DRDT? I think there was a drawing floating around at one time but I can't seem to find it again.

Gearing up for a new project some time later this year and would like to play around with adapting the Numatix for dimpling. I understand there have been mixed results but I already have a DRDT and the NumatX unit and would like to experiment with it myself.

2023-08-03 Update:
I got my squeezer back from Numatix via Aircraft Spruce after about 2 months. I don't know what they did because it appears to be the same hardware that I sent in, but it squeezes -4 rivets properly now. The hose is 6 feet long and it doesn't appear to be shorter than what I sent in. There might have been something bad in the handheld unit...

Anyways, I talked to Aircraft Specialty Flightlines at Oshkosh. Tom is such a great guy. He said that Flyboy Accessories is selling the TS Flightlines hose as an upgrade for the Numatx. Indeed, I found it here:
https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/upgraded-hose-for-numatx-squeezer

By the way, I am using my Numatx with a DRDT alternative by a guy out of Clemson, SC. It's a beast! Here's a picture of me back riveting the rudder with it. Highly recommended.
https://clemsonaeronautics.com/card1-1

Attachments

• 20230630_081628.jpg
    20230630_081628.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 157
Build modernization! What ever happened to the C-frame and a deadblow hammer (with associated shoulder and elbow pain).

Build modernization! What ever happened to the C-frame and a deadblow hammer (with associated shoulder and elbow pain).
The shoulder and elbow pain morphed into having transmission fluid all over your hands whenever you do regular maintenance on the squeezer... and a much lighter wallet. :D

2023-08-03 Update:
I got my squeezer back from Numatix via Aircraft Spruce after about 2 months. I don't know what they did because it appears to be the same hardware that I sent in, but it squeezes -4 rivets properly now. The hose is 6 feet long and it doesn't appear to be shorter than what I sent in. There might have been something bad in the handheld unit...

Anyways, I talked to Aircraft Specialty Flightlines at Oshkosh. Tom is such a great guy. He said that Flyboy Accessories is selling the TS Flightlines hose as an upgrade for the Numatx. Indeed, I found it here:

By the way, I am using my Numatx with a DRDT alternative by a guy out of Clemson, SC. It's a beast! Here's a picture of me back riveting the rudder with it. Highly recommended.

I have the TS Flight lines hose for my Numatx and love it!

That dimpler setup is exactly what I am thinking of.

That Clemson rig is pretty slick. That being said I think I'm going to build my machine.

Wondering if anyone has a copy of the Numatx plans for the waterjet-cut steel plate version? I have the box frame plans (from a very helpful member here!) and would like to compare the two before deciding which direction to go.

Much appreciated!

Pimp my Numatx

I had a little down time and decided to dress up the Numatx a bit. It’s nothing special to look at, as I made the frame from scrap I had, but man does it work! Two regulators (set for AN-3 and AN-4) and a lever switch (foot operable) to toggle between them as the air source. And just for kicks I added a light weight air hose fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 115
Pimp My Numatx

I had a little down time and decided to dress up the Numatx a bit. It’s nothing special to look at, as I made the frame from scrap I had, but man does it work! Two regulators (set for AN-3 and AN-4) and a lever switch (foot operable) to toggle between them as the air source. And just for kicks I added a light weight air hose fitting.

I'm not sure what I like more...the post title you picked or the lever switch. I might have to add one of those to mine before the next build gets started. Anyway, here is my pimped Numatx setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 94
New Recommended Fluid

I couldn’t find my set of instructions in changing out the short piston for the long one so I went to the Numatx website and downloaded the pdf. I noticed that Dextron III was replaced with Mobile Velocite Oil #6. Not sure where you can buy that oil…definitely not available at your local box store. I emailed Numatx about the change and this is what they wrote back:

Hi Peter,

We have recently updated which type of fluid to use in our Numatx systems. You can use either type of fluid, it won’t hurt anything, but we have found that the systems function better and with the Mobile Velocite Oil #6. Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help you with.

https://numatx-tools.com/nxmobilvel-6.html

Thank you,

Numatx C-Frame

I have the two PDF's for the Numatx C-Frame that is similar to the Card-1. I think I have attached them to this thread (if it works). If not PM me with your email and I will send them to you. I asked a local machine shop for a quote and they said they would do it for $400. I did not go through with having it built, spent enough on all the tools I have right now and just went with the Cleveland banger. It does look like it would be awesome though. I do like my Numatx as well. I had a leaking swivel valve and the folks at Numatx replaced it for free and it has been working great. The key to it working as others have pointed out, is bleeding it properly.

Well, I was told to remove the attachments. If you want the PDF, please PM me with your email.

Last edited:
2023-08-03 Update:

This is brilliant! I started unpacking the hardware kit for the -14 empennage and was thinking there has to be a better way to drive rivets.

Now I've got something to noodle on in Fusion 360 if the arctic blast keeps me out of the barn this weekend.

Back