What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Big Day for the 'Monster.

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
My project, #81651, has not had an easy life, but she's blooming now.
Originally begun in Canada by Kent Scherm, who seems to have done a wonderful job on everything he touched, she came to me in 2014. After being worked on feverishly, she was put into storage when a divorce overtook all other events early in 2015. She languished in storage in CT until the summer of 2017 when I brought her out west to UT where I was living. Sadly, my life still being tentative, she once again resided in a storage unit.

I moved into a new home in the fall of 2018 and began establishing a workshop in the garage. By the summer of 2020, I was back hard at work, completing a new HS to replace the older one which crashed and burned when the HS Mod was attempted.

Today, December 9th, 2022, The 'Monster had her powerplant hung. I never believed I'd see it, but there are now four EMPTY Lord Mount boxes on the workbench. A brand new Aero Sport Power IO-375-M1S was mounted in about 45 minutes and looks raring to go.

Because of the unreliability of everyone's supply chain, I've been ordering anything I can imagine as soon as it occurs to me. As a result, we have cowling and prop and instruments and upholstery and baffle all waiting on the shelves. Wings have been initially fitted and I have a guest room full of control surfaces just waiting to be mounted.

I now believe it's going to happen. God willing, and the creek don't rise, it may happen next year. The Monster will take flight.

Thank you to everyone on this site. I would never have reached today without you.

Attachments

• IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 266
Congrats

Looking good. That is exciting. I'll bet that mill is going to pull you into the sky real nice! Ever forward!

Keep going !!!

Hey Clay, that's quite a milestone !!!
I have the same engine and it's quite impressive power wise.
You still have quite an amount of wiring/cable/hose connecting to do but go about it one by one and first thing you know it will be running !!
Keep going, you'll love it.
I've been flying mine just over a year now and loved every minute of the 80 hours or so...

Congratulations Clay ! I'm so glad you have persevered on your 8 project. I still remember the day we attempted to get together for a flight in my newly completed RV8. I now have over 1,000 hours on it and still enjoy it immensely. Keep going....... you will be rewarded handsomely every time you fly.

Back