What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance on using Van's lower intersection fairings?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
RV-8. Grove airfoil gear legs. No fiberglass leg fairings.

The Van's lower intersection fairings are primitive, but they give us a place to begin. The instructions say to bond the fairings into place onto the wheel pants, then split them vertically at the seam of the wheel pants so that (I suppose) in the end, the leading edge of the fairing stays with the front of the wheel pant, and the trailing edge stays with the aft part?

Is this what people are doing? Somehow, having the aft portion of the fairing left open to the air stream seems sketchy. I would have thought the fairing would wrap around the gear leg, or that there would be an overlapping section from front to rear.

Explanations appreciated. Illustrations would be GOLD.

Yes, an overlap is appropriate, and by the time you get to the wheel pants, you’re probably good enough to build one yourself! I first saw it done to mine on my first RV at the paint shop, and I have done it ever since when I built wheel pants. It’s surprisingly easy to do, as I am not a fiberglass pro…..

Basically, fit or build whatever lower intersection fairings you want. Split them at the wheel pant split. Bond to the wheel pants. Now tape over the aft pant/fairing with packing tape. Cut some fiberglass cloth (several layers) long enough to wrap around the front fairing and overlap the rear fairing by an inch and a half. Wet out and apply (in place). Remove, trim and season to taste…..

Last edited:
The Van's lower intersection fairings are primitive, but they give us a place to begin.

It's easier to fabricate from scratch. Tape the leg, foam it, shape it, glass it, split it, and do the surface finishing.

Keep it small and tight, no overlap required.

Attachments

• Foam Fairing.JPG
    Foam Fairing.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Leg and Pant.jpg
    Leg and Pant.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 77
  • wheel pant.jpg
    wheel pant.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
RV Bits

Actually those were the only parts I bought from RV Bits that fit really well. Sequence is correct.
Fit everything.
Drill some #41 holes in the fairings forward and aft to hold while bonding.
Bond the forward half.
Cut to match the pant split
Bond the aft parts.
The rest is personal preference. Mine are not open. I also added an overlap layup to the forward half top and bottom.
20221031_130958.jpg

Last edited:
Back