What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2 table

I'm gonna build a platform for my drdt-2 today and would like to see how everyone has built them and any suggestions or dimensions

thanks

Scott,

I used 2 modified EAA tables.
Put 2x8’s on one end of both. And 1” overhang on front and one end.
Used 1/2” all thread bolts and clamped between the ends.
Works great on skins.
Tables would be 8’ long put together.

You have to cut the legs of the DRDT to make it
Slide forward and aft in the clamp.
Can slide forward lock in place and do all ribs etc….

Boomer

Should be some pics on my website under shop??

Last edited:
When I built my table, I made two slots for the DRDT-2, each one a foot from the end, instead of just one in the middle. This meant that a four foot piece of plywood worked well.

I let gravity hold the carpet in place.

Enjoy your project!

Ed

Last edited:
Part of the tables

I put a couple 2x4 (s) on through bolts to join the two tables at the legs below the table surface so that the DRDT could sit on them and the bottom die would be just barely above the table surface. This allowed the longer sheets to get support. The 2x4s could be mounted behind or in front of the legs as needed to get the DRDT near the edge or closer towards the center.

I think I intended to have bolt holes to mount the DRDT but temporary clamps worked out to be more useful.

I made a very custom setup for mine: Built two long tables along my garage wall, and then build a very slim platform for the DRDT that precisely slid between the two tables. The platform was on wheels and could be moved, but it was so topheavy that rolling it around was too risky. I just kept it between the two tables.

Simple, cheap, and portable. I would keep anything you do build far enough away from any walls or other obstructions. The larger skins require a lot of over-hang room and must be turned on aggressive angles to get to all of the holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 66
I appreciate that everybody loves to build stuff, but I think a special table for the DRDT is overkill.

When I needed to dimple something, I just clamped it to an EAA tabletop with a bar clamp and then build up the work surface flush with two big pieces of cardboard with some random stuff stacked under them. I think the cardboard was made from the box the empennage kit came in.

The other 99% of the last 3 years, it's been sitting in the corner of my garage with the cardboard leaned up against the wall behind it.

No need for special tables or days & $$$ spent building special cabinetry solutions, although some of them are very clever and beautifully fabricated.

Back