What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (12/3-4/2022)

Took the RV-4 out for a few landings this morning.. After being happy with the landings, I headed over to Torrance (KTOA) to get some indian food to go, and am planning to have it for dinner!

Great day to fly along the coast.. Good weather, pretty clear, but lots of people flying! And SoCal approach was having a hard time getting many of the pilots to be complaint. Please, don't be that guy...

A few pictures of the Long Beach harbor, and the airplane parked in Torrance.

Sure was a lot of fun for only 11 gallons of fuel!

Attachments

• IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5310.jpeg
    IMG_5310.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 138
Flew down to Albany, OR for lunch on Saturday with two RV-8s from Arlington. An RV-4 from Pearson Field landed at the same time we did, also for lunch.

i-PzwktM5-XL.png

Moonrise over Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams on the way back to Arlington:

i-TRdRt6G-XL.jpg

The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum at McMinnville. Note the 747 on top of the white building near the bottom of the photo. It's part of the water slide attraction. The Spruce Goose is in the middle building of the three.

i-rwqLZ2t-XL.jpg

The Washington State Capital at Olympia:

i-PkV53tD-XL.jpg

On the way home:

i-LTs9FcW-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I should know this because I fly to Albany occasionally. I'm not aware of anything within walking distance other than Denny's (across the highway to the south) and a chinese place that may be closed that is just adjacent (SE of the runway). I never thought of Albany as a fly-in lunch destination.

I should know this because I fly to Albany occasionally. I'm not aware of anything within walking distance other than Denny's (across the highway to the south) and a chinese place that may be closed that is just adjacent (SE of the runway). I never thought of Albany as a fly-in lunch destination.

The Cascade Grill off the NE corner of the airport. From the NE ramp walk north along the fence line to the gate.

i-spwRzjh-L.png

I haven't tried the Chinese restaurant off the SE corner of the airport yet. There is a parking ramp area south of the runway for easy access. Just follow the taxiway south to access it. Google Maps shows it quite well.

Last edited:
I did a quick flight from Ramona down to Montgomery Field to meet up with an RV-10 owner to pick up some parts for some capacitive fuel senders going in a new set of tanks. Wind was calm but mostly from the south, so the Tower was getting aircraft out on both runway 27 and 9. I got coordinated from the tower to have a clearance to enter the KSAN Bravo over Miramar MCAS and it made the flight out a bit of a short cut.
Departuring for home, I went around the Bravo and came into Ramona from the south. They were landing runway 9, but I had quite a bit of a 220 degree tailwind most of the way down. I hate landing with any sort of tail wind. The wind on the ground was mostly calm. Another 0.9 in the books.

Massey

Went to a terrific fly-in at Massey, MD1 in Maryland. Caught a ride in my buddy's gorgeous Cessna 120 (the -9A is getting inspected). Saw a number of very nice RVs!

Really enjoyed this event -- a terrific crowd and lots of cool aircraft. Couldn't believe I hadn't visited before.

Attachments

• rvs.jpg
    rvs.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
203 MPH!

It wasnt over the weekend but this morning I was flying back to my home filed warming up the oil and I hit 176.8 knots - 203+MPH! I didnt even have the leg fairings on!!

I just looked at my data log before loading to Savvy and saw the speed data. Im sure the 34 knot tail wind didnt help any! I may have to watch the VNE once I get the leg fairings on. Ha!

Did several hours of flight testing. Had this view of North Central Texas on the way back.

Attachments

• 4DF6205F-314C-4B3A-AE8C-841FA69EB2CD.jpg
    4DF6205F-314C-4B3A-AE8C-841FA69EB2CD.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Started my first condition inspection. Hard to believe it's been flying for a year.

Attachments

• DSC02812.jpg
    DSC02812.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 132
Does Sunday-Monday count?

On Sunday I put another mounting shoe on the right base of my windscreen support and took another test flight to check the video quality. Results are posted on my YouTube channel; here are two photos of the camera mount and Pine Knob.
On Monday I took Joe Kirik for a ride. Joe is former president and current vice-president of EAA Chapter 113; it was a fun flight and I really enjoyed getting his input on the experience. Video to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0798s.jpg
    IMG_0798s.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0802s.jpg
    IMG_0802s.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0810ss.jpg
    IMG_0810ss.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
Nice pics Martin. It must be cold enough to make snow there (Pine Knob). Do they still have concerts in the summer? We saw Detroit’s own Bob Seeger there a few decades ago.

Nice pics Martin. It must be cold enough to make snow there (Pine Knob). Do they still have concerts in the summer? We saw Detroit’s own Bob Seeger there a few decades ago.
Yep, still concerts there. I attended some back in the 70's and have been there a couple times since returning in 2008. It's very close to my house; I should attend more; missed some really great shows in the past few years... but just can't get into the big concert venue thing much anymore.

Back