What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printed Stick Grips

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
Fellow builders,

For a while I was looking for stick grips for my build. I didn't care much for the feel of several available grips or the lack of color options, as well as the prices, so being a mechanical engineer and having experience designing various hand grips for commercial aircraft I decided I'd make my own. I've been 3D printing since 2010 with my first reprap and the materials and techniques have come a long way since then, these advancements have enabled me to leverage my engineering design experience and manufacture a grip that is robust and incredibly simple to install.

After several iterations I developed the GS series grips pictured below, 0-4 buttons in black or red with configurable options and colors and a plug to conceal the attachment fastener. I'm offering them to builders who want a more customizable and affordable stick grip for their project.

Currently the GS series is buttons only, but I'm looking at options to add momentary toggles to the current positions. I like the mil-spec OTTO buttons and I'm looking for similarly high-quality switches that won't break the bank but the search is ongoing.

Also in development is the GM series military-style grip with hat switch, toggles, and buttons. Same ergonomic grip handle with a compact control head. I'll give updates here as more product options become available!

Feel free to ask any questions here or via the website contact form. I can also be reached at [email protected]. Thanks for taking a look and I hope you choose Plane Grips Company for your next aircraft stick grip(s)!

www.planegrips.com

YnRUB8h.png

AChCSaQ.png

jrsAJu8.png

Josk1RH.png

Updates and new colors

Hi all- I first want to give a big thank you to those who have purchased stick grips, I really appreciate the support!

I've added some new colors for the GS series. If you have a color in mind not currently offered shoot me a message and I'll see what's available.

I've been able to accommodate a couple requests for external routing of the switch wires so they emerge out of the bottom of the grip and can be secured to the column without the need to drill a hole and add a grommet. So far each has been custom but I'm working on making this a standard option for all switch positions and will update the site and spec when available, feel free to contact me directly if you want external wire routing in the interim.

I 've been asked by several people if I can provide models to print their own, and unfortunately I'm afraid I can't do that. Not just for being my design but I can't control other's printing process, materials, equipment etc. and thus can't ensure the end product meets the same requirements my grips do.

The last images are the GM grip which is in the final stages of validation before production release. 7 switch positions including toggles and a heavy-duty HAT, all optional of course and you can build the grip tailored to your needs. This design has an optional switch shield (show in last pic), as well as color options for the main grip body, face backplate, and HAT switch. I'll post photos of the production units in the coming weeks, these should be available well in time for the holidays.

I'll post more updates here but as always feel free to contact me if you have any questions, thanks!

MZFsxzC.png

dsh42Tz.png

zuXOR5q.png

rzFKbY0.png

gkwipJm.png

d823WAA.png

Happy purchaser

I was so impressed with the first grip he printed for me, I ordered a second. Seems to be high quality materials and switches/wiring. Happy customer.
Cal

GM Update

Thank you all for the kind words!

As promised here are some pics of the GM grips.

The GM grip comes with some additional trim options. You can now select the color for the grip body, faceplate, and HAT switch if selected.

It would be a lot to print each color combination, I'm thinking I'll put a blank graphic on the site so folks can paint in different colors.

Just need to do some documentation and add them to the website. I'll update when they are available for purchase.

MEDLEY_1.PNG

FULL_SPEC_RED_KNURLED.PNG

2SW_HAT_GREEN_NO_SHIELD.PNG

Last edited:
Hey Dave, you read my mind about doing 3D printing on a grip. If I send you a plaster mold would you be able to make a custom one? I've got a bit of arthritis in my right hand from carpal tunnel/misset broken wrist and find using standard grips uncomfortable.

Thanks

Hey Dave, you read my mind about doing 3D printing on a grip. If I send you a plaster mold would you be able to make a custom one? I've got a bit of arthritis in my right hand from carpal tunnel/misset broken wrist and find using standard grips uncomfortable.

Thanks

Hey Steve! I could certainly take a look, shoot me an email at [email protected]

One of the things unique to my stick grips is their ergonomic design that is angled to be more comfortable, a pretty common design detail for anything a person grips. I notice a lot of other grips are just at a straight 90 requiring a bend at the wrist, which I imagine can contribute to fatigue and pain after a while.

Looks like you're out of Skagit, I'm just out of Paine, I'm happy to have you try one of my many prototypes I have lying around to see how you like it.

I love these! I wanted a F-15E style stick but then realized that it would be way too big for our small RV-8s this one has almost the same switches like on the grip area minus the castle switch up on the top. Great work, can’t wait to see them on your website.

Hey Steve! I could certainly take a look, shoot me an email at [email protected]

One of the things unique to my stick grips is their ergonomic design that is angled to be more comfortable, a pretty common design detail for anything a person grips. I notice a lot of other grips are just at a straight 90 requiring a bend at the wrist, which I imagine can contribute to fatigue and pain after a while.

Looks like you're out of Skagit, I'm just out of Paine, I'm happy to have you try one of my many prototypes I have lying around to see how you like it.

Sounds great! I'll be in touch.

One of the things that's always been my pet bugaboo was that joystick grips are centered, facing forward, which is not ergonomic if the throttle is on whatever side. A long time ago I got to sit in the Shuttle Full Fuselage Trainer at Johnson, I had to laugh as soon as I sat down because the grip was rotated perfectly to fit a right hand angled across the lap, none of the generic straight ahead BS.

I try to be humble, but **** right I was going to sit in the left seat, while reflecting on all the people who sat there before me. (Thanks Terry for getting us the tour!) https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-here-little-there.html

Attachments

• P1030831.JPG
    P1030831.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 136
Sounds great! I'll be in touch.

One of the things that's always been my pet bugaboo was that joystick grips are centered, facing forward, which is not ergonomic if the throttle is on whatever side. A long time ago I got to sit in the Shuttle Full Fuselage Trainer at Johnson, I had to laugh as soon as I sat down because the grip was rotated perfectly to fit a right hand angled across the lap, none of the generic straight ahead BS.

I try to be humble, but **** right I was going to sit in the left seat, while reflecting on all the people who sat there before me. (Thanks Terry for getting us the tour!) https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-here-little-there.html

Now that's really cool!

I came across the shuttle grip, or at least one of them I don't know if there were other variants, while researching designs and noticed the forward cant and angle. Good human factors design, it's NASA after all.

GM Grips Are Now Available!

NEW GM military-style grips are now available on my website!- http://www.planegrips.com

Again for the new page:

• Completely configurable with only the features you want, right or left hand

• 0-7 positions more than any other grip, up to 13 functions!

• Mil-spec button switches, black or red

• Heavy-duty HAT switch

• 2 types of momentary toggles (flaps, trim)

• Color options for grip body, face plate and HAT

• Optional knurling

• Optional palm stop

• Optional switch shield

FULL_SPEC_GUNGREY_3.png
FULL_SPEC_RED_KNURL.png
BASIC_GREEN_NO_SHIELD.png

More info in the GM specification.

Direct link to GM product page.

As always feel free to contact me with any questions!

Last edited:
Labeling

The next feature I'm tackling is labeling, I found a couple threads on it, seems to be up to the DAR whether it's required.

I'm testing raised vs indented, looks like it may be either depending where it is. Print looked pretty good.

TEXT1.PNG
TEXT2.PNG
TEXT3_1.png

NEW GM military-style grips are now available on my website!- http://www.planegrips.com

Again for the new page:

• Completely configurable with only the features you want, right or left hand

• 0-7 positions more than any other grip, up to 13 functions!

• Mil-spec button switches, black or red

• Heavy-duty HAT switch

• 2 types of momentary toggles (flaps, trim)

• Color options for grip body, face plate and HAT

• Optional knurling

• Optional palm stop

• Optional switch shield

View attachment 34048
View attachment 34049
View attachment 34050

More info in the GM specification.

Direct link to GM product page.

As always feel free to contact me with any questions!

I know this is an extreme long shot, but have you ever considered selling your STL's for those of us with our own printers?

I know this is an extreme long shot, but have you ever considered selling your STL's for those of us with our own printers?

Unfortunately I don't offer the models for home printing since I can't control the quality of the grip in that case. The 3D envelope is just one part of the design, I did a ton of destructive testing and refinement of my print settings to make a grip that will take forces a person can muster.

Unfortunately I don't offer the models for home printing since I can't control the quality of the grip in that case. The 3D envelope is just one part of the design, I did a ton of destructive testing and refinement of my print settings to make a grip that will take forces a person can muster.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Back