- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:29 PM

Default Panel Wiring Service Loops

I've been working on my wiring lately and I'm almost to the point of hooking up one side of my modular panel. On my copilot side I have a GDU450 and a couple of rows of circuit breakers. I routed some of the wires into the area behind that GDU450 and I'm ready to start making connections to the panel. I was trying to figure out the best way to route those wire bundles such that I would be able to pull the panel out and allow enough room to remove connectors and etc. I'm wondering what others have done? Did you just allow some extra length and not worry about supporting that length? I was a little worried about doing that. Did you make a loop with a cable tie and plan to clip it prior to removing the panel? Any thoughts and/or pictures would be helpful.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 06-24-2022, 05:51 AM

Ray,

I'm hoping to see some answers here. I'm at the exact same place you are on my -14. I've tried very hard to make my wiring "pretty", but it's been difficult. I wanted service loops and to have nothing "hanging" below the panel. While there are more pictures of panels than one can count on this site, you have to look very hard for pictures of the back side or from underneath looking up.

I've done the best job I can, and it looks pretty good from some angles, but I'm not as proud of it as I'd like. Perhaps you'll get a few responses with pictures and explanations of why folks did what they did.

To answer your question, I have supported all the wiring very well, it's firm, but not tight. Where I had service loops or wire that was a bit long, Yes, I used a cable tie and plan to clip it if I need to get the component out. I've come to the realization that in some installations, there's just no way to complete the installation or service without standing on your head.

Looking forward to responses.

Fred
Wings complete (including fiberglass)
Fuse Complete
Working on Finishing Kit
Avionics Complete
Old 06-24-2022, 06:00 AM

On the 10, I used connectors for everything on the removeable panel so it could come out easy. However, I only used lengthy loops on the MFD's and G5. Once those are out, you can get your hands in there to remove the other connectors. The loops are long enough to pull the MFDs out about 8". As long as the bundle is tie wrapped or laced nice and tight the loop supports itself. Do make sure the base of the loop is well supported to a large harness or the frame somewhere.

Larry