What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip- Mounting the cowl with Skybolt fasteners

RVDan

Well Known Member
Patron
I am in the process of retrofitting a new cowl to an existing RV-6A. I got to the point of picking up the Skybolt locations on the cowl and wasn't satisfied with the ambiguity that using the provided disk-shaped magnets gave. While two disks would align great when they were in direct contact with each other, when spaced away from each other by the tool and the thickness of the cowl, the area of uncertainly greatly increased. I saw where some were trying the green magnetic film, but once again when spaced away from the magnet the image gets diffused Another method was needed. I searched VAF and didn't find this solution, and so I am posting this hoping it can help someone.
It involves a small sewing needle and 1/8" ball rare earth magnets. Follow this link for the video. Sorry about the echo in the video. I may reshoot it if I get a chance. https://youtu.be/tPimmqSwzkM

The lines of magnetic force converge at the poles pulling the needle to dead center. I think ball magnets of the 3/32" and 1/8" size along with the needle could be used to accurately locate rivet holes in aluminum sheet as well.

Skybolts

The "line" method is far more accurate. This is the abbreviated version. The entire text is in Kitplanes this month.
Use a square to draw lines from the center of the receptacles aft a few inches. Use the 45 on the square to draw two lines intersecting at the center of the receptacle. Repeat on each.
Secure the cowl. Transfer the lines onto the cowl.
One trick is using the Skybolt cleko bushings taped in place to the underside of the flanges. Start with a #40 to hit the hole in the bushing then 30 to enlarge to the center of the bushing. Then remove the cowl and enlarge grommet holes to 15/32.

I would not use the triangular shaped things provided by Skybolt and would rivet on a strip of .063 appropriately shaped. Agree that carefully drawing lines is probably the best way, then tape and clamp the cowl to the fuselage, mark where the fasteners should go and start drilling. They don't need to be too close together. I would ensure you have enough clearance inside to drill to nearly full size with everything taped together so it all stays lined up and ends up where you want it. I found the circular things with a pilot hole in the middle rather inaccurate.

Back