What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin draw custom shapes on chart?

Draker

Well Known Member
Anyone know if Garmin’s system (G3X or Garmin Pilot) allows you to draw a custom shape on the chart? It would be nice if I could draw my Phase 1 test area on the map for extra assurance that I don’t bust it while flying (or planning).

Yeah kinda

Here's what I did when I got towards the end and finished testing - I created a loop in Foreflight and then transferred that to the GTN650xi as a flight plan. You could theoretically create a similar loop by a series of points so you had a circle on your display.

Several methods, don't know of an alarm.

I had less busy airspace unless getting within 40 miles of ORD. Using the home airport in a flight plan, keep it active so it always tells the distance.

Doing an altitude speed run for various data reasons can use a lot of space in the RV!!

The WPT circle method works off the IFR charts and you can make your own WPT's in the Garmin products.

Make a KMZ file and import it into Pilot

It's pretty easy to make a custom KMZ file in Google Earth and then import it into Garmin Pilot.

Draw the shape in Google Earth (free download if you don't already have it, and also a great way to waste a day checking out interesting places), then right click on the shape item in the "Places" list and save it as a KMZ file (see the first pic below for my Phase 1 area). You can change the appearance of your area before exporting by selecting "Get Info" and adjusting line width, fill, color, etc.

Then, all that's required is to import that KMZ file into Garmin Pilot. Instructions for that are on page 50 of the Garmin Pilot manual (https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01501-00_al.pdf). ForeFlight has a similar function.

Hope this helps -

Dave

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.09.55 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.09.55 AM.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It's pretty easy to make a custom KMZ file in Google Earth and then import it into Garmin Pilot.

Cool! Didn't realize G.P. would import KMZ files. That's the solution then!

EDIT: Also, as someone who used to be in the iOS app writing business, a 571 page manual for an iOS app is so wild! I didn't even know it had a manual.

Also, as someone who used to be in the iOS app writing business, a 571 page manual for an iOS app is so wild! I didn't even know it had a manual.
Right?!? That’s actually the first time I’ve accessed it, mostly because I was too lazy to type out the instructions!

:)

ds

Last edited:
Back