What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon shunt

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm fabricating the Dynon shunt fuseable links and don't find any direction as to length. The manual mentions 26AWG wire for the links but no mention of length.
Any advise out there?

The length doesn't really matter. Basically what you're doing is making a home-made glass fuse. Maybe an inch or two of the lighter gauge wire will be fine.

Fuseable link

That works. I cut 2" each and used solder sleeves to connect to the service wire. Heat shrink to encapsulate.
Thanks

Fusible links

Working on that myself right now...

One or two inches, based on what others have done. Nuckolls recommends fibreglass sleeve to protect adjacent wires in case it pops.

26 AWG seems very thin though and also not available from Spruce. I'm thinking of using 24 AWG for the fusible portion and then 20 AWG for the routing up to the panel. The Dynon harness itself is 22 AWG (I believe) so if the splice between 20 AWG and 22 AWG is close to the EMS module it should help to mitigate risk.

Last edited:
Dynon

Working on that myself right now...

One or two inches, based on what others have done. Nuckolls recommends fibreglass sleeve to protect adjacent wires in case it pops.

26 AWG seems very thin though and also not available from Spruce. I'm thinking of using 24 AWG for the fusible portion and then 20 AWG for the routing up to the panel. The Dynon harness itself is 22 AWG (I believe) so if the splice between 20 AWG and 22 AWG is close to the EMS module it should help to mitigate risk.

Dynon manual says 26AWG. I have two layers of shrink wrap. If it goes the hot side will only be about 1" long. If it touches ground, it will get shorter. :D

I put these Littlefuse 1 amp fuses on my shunt leads.

Those are cool. How do you connect?

Last edited:
26 AWG terminations

I read that in the Dynon manual also, how are you going to terminate the relatively fine 26 AWG wire? The specs state that the OD for ETFE sheath is .032 or .040 depending on number of strands, that seems a tad thin for my fumbling fingers to work with. Even 22 AWG is a challenge. I wonder how the 26 AWG can be stripped cleanly and crimped securely in a ring terminal to match the screws on the shunt?

Terminal

I read that in the Dynon manual also, how are you going to terminate the relatively fine 26 AWG wire? The specs state that the OD for ETFE sheath is .032 or .040 depending on number of strands, that seems a tad thin for my fumbling fingers to work with. Even 22 AWG is a challenge. I wonder how the 26 AWG can be stripped cleanly and crimped securely in a ring terminal to match the screws on the shunt?

I use ferrules. Slip the ferrule over then into the ring terminal. Works great.

Back