What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order new engine now or wait?

Help

Thanks for that suggestion. I just read that article by Lisa. The only time I really get frustrated now that I'm retired is when I watch the news. Actually, that's more depressing than frustrating.

My big challenge right now is learning about building this airplane. There is SO MUCH to learn. Right now I'm working just on engine ordering options. Should be simple, right? Just check a couple boxes, right? Nope! Which propeller do I want? Are Hartzells better than MT? Composite or aluminum? 72" or 74"? Which ignition should I get? What's the difference between Emag and PMag? Do I want the optional accessory plate so I can install a backup alternator?

Of course, this leads to dozens of other questions. Do I need a backup alternator? Will backup batteries work instead? Does this even matter since I'm a VFR pilot? Am I going to get my IFR rating? Should I equip the plane for IFR just in case? What avionics will I need for IFR flight? I could ask another 50 questions JUST TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ORDER THE ENGINE!! I've already spent several days on this topic alone and I have several more days to go. I'll probably put in 50 hours of research before I know enough to check two boxes on the engine order form.

And again, I'm starting from scratch. All I've ever done is rented 172's. I know ZERO about all this stuff and I don't know any other pilots so it's 100% up to me to figure all this out.

After reading this post you may think I'm about ready to throw in the towel before I even start! But, I'm not getting discouraged! I see this project as a good challenge and I need challenges at this point in my life. Retirement has been great but a little too easy. When I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed by the snowball effect these decisions typically follow I just remind myself - if others can do it, I can do it.

Now where was that excellent post I read here a few weeks ago about the differences between ignition systems....

It can be quite the sensory overload.
I'm very close to finishing and helped a couple 14 builders along the way. I'm no expert, but I may be able to answer some basic questions or at least point you where to look. I try to answer quickly because I know what it feels like to sit waiting. Feel free to e-mail (below). I'll pass along my cell #.

By the way, P-mags are manufactured by E-mag. Basically it's a mag with electronic ignition benefits. Auto plugs and wiring. Lyco offers them as an option now.

Crazy People

Brian,

All progress is made by crazy people. Why? Reasonable people know it can't be done.

If you're inclined, jump in. An engine can always be sold.

PM Sent.

Best regards,
Mike

There is SO MUCH to learn.

Great response, Brian, sounds like you'll be fine. A little tattered and worn at the end but just fine.. ;)

I just completed a 12 year Plans Built biplane and of the very many things that I learned, here is one that might be applicable to you and your situation. A quote from MLK: "You don't need to see the whole staircase, take the first step". Your knowledge base will expand (bigtime!) as you build.

Good luck and cheers!

By the way, P-mags are manufactured by E-mag.

Good grief! Are they intentionally trying to confuse us newbies? Thanks for the offer to help Larry! That's very kind of you. If I get hung up on something I can't figure out, I'll let you know.

I think we were all in the same boat re; information overload. There are a lot of decisions at every turn, and every one has downstream ramifications.

The good news is that this group is very welcoming and happy to share information, so when you have questions, no matter how trivial, feel free to throw them out there for comment.

Just a couple that you brought up.

P-Mags; Self supporting electronic ignitions. These are different than the regular magnetos that have been in use for decades in that they have the capability to advance engine timing in correlation to manifold pressure. They are also different than some of the other electronic ignition systems out there in that they don't require external power to work. As long as you're above about 1200-ish rpm they are self supporting. They have their pros and cons, just like everything else.

Accessory pad- Up to you. For a glass cockpit, even for VFR only you probably want a way to keep at least some of that stuff alive. You can have a IBBS backup battery for $250 or a backup alternator for quite a bit more, or you can just say heck with it, if the alternator quits I'll land before the main ship battery is sucked dry.

For my own plane, I'm doing dual P-mags for ignition. It's an IFR monster panel so For IFR redundancy, I've got a backup battery and a standby G5 with it's own internal backup battery. When I asked my avionics guy his thoughts on a backup alternator he felt that a backup battery was a simpler/lighter/cheaper option. ultimately I decided that for my particular application he was right, so that was my decision.

None of this is the obvious "right way" it's only one way of many to get to the same level of functionality. All my decisions were based on a bunch of research and conversations with people more knowledgeable than myself. Especially the avionics stuff.

I'm and A&P and have been a CFI for 30 years. Feel free to give me a call or email if you like. I speak "rookie" and I'm happy to discuss anything you want if it's helpful.

Buy everything now

Good grief!

If you have the money buy everything now (except avionics).

Allan Tolle (school teacher) built an RV-3 in 90 days! (Not his first build, though).

If I understand correctly, the RV-14 has all holes prepunched, does not require jigs and has excellent drawings and step-by-step instructions.

In building the airframe, the only things that adds time is deviating from the plans.

Buy the toolbox kit or get scrap alum and practice deburring, dimpling and setting rivets. That should prevent having to re-do stuff on the actual airframe kit.

Get the RV-14 plans on a USB stick now and study so you know how everything goes together in advance.

I know than when one is retired everything seems to take much longer. But it doesn't have to. Fact is that any task will expand to fill the time allotted or available (and then some). I got more done in a day when I worked full time than I get done in a week retired. You basically set your own pace.

I bet you could get the RV-14 airframe together in less than a year (with all parts available) but could also drag it out for 10 years.

Finn

Another Newbie

Ordered my all my RV-14 QB kits yesterday. I'd been noodling on it for a couple of years and finally pulled the trigger. Things fell in place to where I think I have a reasonable chance of success. Like Brian, I'm newly retired. In my 20s I built the wings to a Steen Skybolt. They took two years and the build was hurting my social life so I sold them and bought a 172. I've been flying regularly ever since and currently fly a 1984 Cessna T303 Crusader. I plan to keep it until the RV is almost finished.

What convinced me to pull the trigger were several things: 1) I spent a handful of afternoons helping a friend build a Zenith 750 and found I really loved being in the shop working with aluminum (pulled rivets vs. driven, I know). 2) I just built a cabin and a 50 by 50 hangar on a 3,300 ft grass airstrip in WV which is where I'll be building 3) I realized I'm going to have tons of help from the other pilots on my strip some of whom have building experience. 4) At some point in one's 70s, insurance companies decline to insure pilots in piston twins so I'll have to downsize anyway. 5) I live in NC but my wife has given me permission to be gone every other week for two years (I traveled a lot in my work life so she's used to it.) 6) My goal is to have the RV finished in 5 years and hopefully sooner. I'm mentally prepared to sell the project at a loss if something comes up that prevents me from completing it. I can be impatient and I don't like problem-related delays but I'm determined to focus on enjoying the process and not push for the outcome. This will be my biggest challenge.

Like Brian, I have a zillion questions but this Forum plus contacts with a few other builders have convinced me getting answers is not going to be a problem. I plan to order my engine prior to April 30 to get the latest discount. It will be the standard Lyc XIO-390 EXP119 (unless someone can convince me why I'd want a Thunderbolt). I'll order the prop with it to get the discount. It will be the 72" Hartzell 2-blade (I have MTs on my Crusader. A single blade replacement is $4K - no thanks.) I want a full IFR panel with autopilot, likely Garmin but based on the advice here, I'll delay that purchase for a while. Any comments on these choices are welcome!

Are you guys thinking 3 years is too optimistic? Again, this would be working at least 5 hours a day, 6 days a week.

If it wasn't for these crazy looooong lead times, this wouldn't matter. But, with no prior build experience and 12-18 month lead times for kits and engines, it's difficult to plan.

Not optimistic to me, if you are retired, building a little every day and at your house, it could take half that amount of time. I did an RV-9A in 20 Months, on weekends in my garage while working a (more than) full time job. I would order everything.

Lest a newbie only gets one side of the argument regarding avionics purchases, let me give an alternative point of view to the “don’t buy your avionics until the very last instant before you put gas in your airplane” crowd. I’d argue that you should buy the avionics that fit your mission requirements whenever you want - and having them earlier allows for easier integration into the airframe.

Heresy you say? Well I believe in building to a set of requirements - figure out what the airplane is supposed to do for you, and write those requirements down. In the case of avionics, write down all the features and functionality you want, and then go shopping. When you find equipment that meets those requirements, add it to the list - when you have a good list, pick what you need from that list, and be happy - you have met your requirements!

Is there a valid reason to wait for the absolute latest, cutting-edge, brand-new-from-the-design-lab equipment? Sure! If your requirement is the have the absolute latest model equipment available, then you should wait. But that really is more about keeping up with the Jone’s than it is meeting an operational requirement.

Thinking back on every airplane I have built, I had a good idea what was going in the panel very early in the process. Occasionally that has changed during the build because of what I do for a living - test and evaluate new equipment. But in no case would the original equipment choice have left me with an airplane that wouldn’t do what I needed it to do.

Years ago, Stein Bruch and I used to present a forum at Airventure on “how to choose an EFIS”. We gave up on it when all the EFIS manufacturers had reached a point where the feature and function sets were all pretty much the same. At that point, we just told people to pick “what worked best with their brain” and go buy it. Avionics and EFIS equipment are so good these days it is hard to imagine what will be better - but I can reasonably accurately predict that it will always get more expensive. So if you know what you want, don’t be afraid to jump on a good deal.

I think most people have an idea of manufacturer at least very early on in their build.
I have only just got my fuse kit, but the wiring and pitot in the wings needs to be decided before the bottom skins go on, which means you have to make the decision quite early in the build. I can wait to make sure I get the latest version of the G3X, but the decision to go Garmin was made years ago.

Weekend update-

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the engine later this month (Thunderbolt version). Along with that, I'll get the 74" Hartzell aluminum prop. As much as I like bling and want to build a really nice airplane, after a bunch of research I couldn't justify the additional $9,000-$15,000 for the composite versions for my usage (cruising). Jump in if you think I'm making a mistake here.

For the ignition I'm (currently) going with the dual Lycoming (SureFly) EIS. I'm hoping there is a way to wire it so each EIS has its own dedicated power source (a separate alternator and battery for each???). Another 100 hours research on that and I'll have it figured out. Maybe.

The caveat here is I need to order the fuselage and finishing kits before Vans will let me order the engine. Vans just announced a new factory option for Berringer wheels and brakes that is supposed to be available mid-April. Soooo, before I order all this stuff I need to see what Vans will charge for the Berringer package (which includes Aircraft Speciality brake lines) and go from there.

As for avionics- I've been a Garmin fanboy for a very long time so I'm going all Garmin. I won't order these until I have at least one part built that resembles an airplane sitting in my hangar. I showed my wife some of the wiring videos on YT and she looked concerned. She knows I'm no electrical engineer. I then told her about a company called Stein Air that will wire all this stuff up for me and ship it to my door for $70,000. She said that's a great idea! Gotta love my wife :)

Here is my current avionics list:
EFIS - Dual 10" G3X
IFR Nav - GTN650xi
Audio panel - GMA 245
Transponder - GTX-45R
Auto Pilot - GMC-507
AP servos - GSA 28
Pitot- GAP 26
Backup - G5
USB ports - GSB 15
e-Breakers - VP-X Pro

I'm not IFR rated but I want the airplane to be IFR capable. I still have a few hundred hours of research to do on the avionics so this list will likely change.

Last edited:
I’d argue that you should buy the avionics that fit your mission requirements whenever you want - and having them earlier allows for easier integration into the airframe.

Thanks for this feedback Paul. As I think about the servos, magnetometer, pitot, antennas, etc - it would be nice to actually have this gear as I build the airplane to make sure everything fits into place properly. I'll try to order some of these "misc" pieces (e.g servos, etc) before the kits arrive.

Having said that, I'm a total electronics geek so if Garmin releases something new and exciting before I finish the build, I may swap out the old part and replace it with the latest wiz bang version.

Last edited:
Take note that VANS has raised the price of the RV14 kits recently. I am in a similar situation as OP, placed my order back in February for SB wing, Emp, Finishing kit, almost ordered the fuselage, but it would be shipped about the same time as the wing, May-June and I couldn't handle the thought of managing all that at one time so I held off. Well I went back to check on fuselage ordering lead times which are now in the Oct-Nov time frame, which sounded good, but I also noticed they raised the price by $700. I am a bit torqued by that, seems it would have been a reasonable ask to at least notify current builders of a pending price increase. I went back to VANS and asked them to honor the old price given I had ordered everything else, but they refused. My guess is they wanted to get the price hike in before Sun and Fun.

I too, have been contemplating buying the engine with the discount but have decided to hold off on ordering at this point. I am thinking maybe if sales remain down for Lycoming, they will offer another discount during Osh or another time. If not, oh well. I feel I need to get some build time/experience to be able to calibrate progress and establish a reasonable schedule. I am retired as well and will have chunks of time to devote to the project, notwithstanding life stuff, although will be building in a garage, not a hanger.

I too have many questions in my mind as a new builder and the thought of the project weighs heavy on my mind, but answers will be forthcoming in the fullness of time, through this forum and others.

Ignition

I'm actually almost finished and have the SDS dual electronic ignition. My solution is two batteries and one alternator.

Learning curve

Aha! Someone that has realized that working on airplanes ain't as easy as a lot of people think!
My first job at Braniff as a A&P I was thrown to the wolves and had a very steep learning curve with the B-727.

Weekend update-

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the engine later this month (Thunderbolt version). Along with that, I'll get the 74" Hartzell aluminum prop. As much as I like bling and want to build a really nice airplane, after a bunch of research I couldn't justify the additional $9,000-$15,000 for the composite versions for my usage (cruising). Jump in if you think I'm making a mistake here.

For the ignition I'm (currently) going with the dual Lycoming (SureFly) EIS. I'm hoping there is a way to wire it so each EIS has its own dedicated power source (a separate alternator and battery for each???). Another 100 hours research on that and I'll have it figured out. Maybe.

The caveat here is I need to order the fuselage and finishing kits before Vans will let me order the engine. Vans just announced a new factory option for Berringer wheels and brakes that is supposed to be available mid-April. Soooo, before I order all this stuff I need to see what Vans will charge for the Berringer package (which includes Aircraft Speciality brake lines) and go from there.

As for avionics- I've been a Garmin fanboy for a very long time so I'm going all Garmin. I won't order these until I have at least one part built that resembles an airplane sitting in my hangar. I showed my wife some of the wiring videos on YT and she looked concerned. She knows I'm no electrical engineer. I then told her about a company called Stein Air that will wire all this stuff up for me and ship it to my door for $70,000. She said that's a great idea! Gotta love my wife :)

Here is my current avionics list:
EFIS - Dual 10" G3X
IFR Nav - GTN650xi
Audio panel - GMA 245
Transponder - GTX-45R
Auto Pilot - GMC-507
AP servos - GSA 28
Pitot- GAP 26
Backup - G5
USB ports - GSB 15
e-Breakers - VP-X Pro

I'm not IFR rated but I want the airplane to be IFR capable. I still have a few hundred hours of research to do on the avionics so this list will likely change.

SteinAir does fabulous work. They did both my RV-7A and RV-10 panels, all Garmin as well. I would suggest the GTN-750Xi over the 650. I'm pretty sure it will fit in a center stack on a 14 along with a GMA245 and GMC-507. We have a 650 in the 7 and a 750 in the 10 - and for my old eyes, the 750 is so much better. If you want the G5 in the center stack (we did this on both planes), I'm not sure the 750 will fit in a 14, though. It does in a 10.

The Stein folks are exceptionally knowledgeable. They do have a part time employee that's a full time airline pilot and A&P. He helped build a 7 and a 10, has a lot of time in an RV-7, some in a 14 and a 10. He is a good resource to help you figure out your mission and panel layout.

I would suggest the GTN-750Xi over the 650.

If I planned to fly IFR, I would definitely get the 750 over the 650. The screen on the 650 is smaller but I doubt if I'll ever look at it. Even if I did, I wouldn't know what I was looking at :)

I plan to put the G5 on the left side. I'm stealing ideas from the FlightChops RV-14 panel design.

If I planned to fly IFR, I would definitely get the 750 over the 650. The screen on the 650 is smaller but I doubt if I'll ever look at it. Even if I did, I wouldn't know what I was looking at :)

I plan to put the G5 on the left side. I'm stealing ideas from the FlightChops RV-14 panel design.

Look into the 375 as well then. It's small, but gets you the same approaches as the 650 and includes the transponder. It saves you a few thousand dollars and if you're not planning on using it frequently, then it's not a huge deal to build a few IFR flight plans into it when needed.

I think most people have an idea of manufacturer at least very early on in their build.
I have only just got my fuse kit, but the wiring and pitot in the wings needs to be decided before the bottom skins go on, which means you have to make the decision quite early in the build. I can wait to make sure I get the latest version of the G3X, but the decision to go Garmin was made years ago.

I’m really puzzled why you would say that. I’ve installed a heated pitot/AOA in a flying plane that only had the simple pitot from Vans and was able to easily run wires, the AOA tubing, and the pitot mounting bracket.

Your avionics wish list is very similar to what I did except I also have a remote comm 2 and I went with old school breakers and fuses instead of the fancy digital box.

It all fits in a standard RV7 panel, But not a lot of room left over.

Not to muddy the waters, but the GTN650 was the single most expensive box in my panel. If you don't immediately want an IFR GPS, there are cheaper ways to get an all Garmin setup that works really well for a VFR ship.

Both the G3X and the G5 already include VFR GPS systems, so really all you're talking about is something to tie into a transponder for ADSB and a comm solution. Suggest that you don't write that wish list in stone until you review your options.

Here's a picture of how mine ended up.

Attachments

• IMG_6957.jpg
    IMG_6957.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 74
Avionics

Don't order the Avionics or othet electronics until you are ready to build the panel. Reason is; Garmin or whom ever release new models just like cell phones and the one you bought is old technology when you finally get to use it. :-(

Weekend update-

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the engine later this month (Thunderbolt version). Along with that, I'll get the 74" Hartzell aluminum prop.

Brian, I'm curious why you're going with the Thunderbolt engine as well as what others think about this choice. They certainly look better but does the polishing, porting, and extra balancing really make a difference?

Also, I thought Vans recommended the 72" prop for the 14. No?

Finally, I concur with your decision not to use a composite prop. They are ridiculously expensive to repair. I've got two of them now.

14A Panel

This lay-out to date seems to work out well. (Yes, everyone says that) Bought when pricing was more reasonable. Non-Xi 750. Picture taken while working on the firewall insulation. Re-purposed fuse panel is nice to store more "stuff".

Attachments

• RV-14 Panel.jpg
    RV-14 Panel.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 73
...does the polishing, porting, and extra balancing really make a difference?
It makes a difference to me.

I don't recall where I read this but my understanding is the 72" prop is more typical for the RV-14 for better ground clearance and the 74" is better suited for the RV-14A for slightly better performance. But I don't know anything so don't take my word for anything I say here :)

Hartzell props from Van's and model applicability:

Ref: https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/hartzell-propeller-order-form/

"Propeller size note:

- The 74" blade diameter propellers are applicable to all "A" model RVs plus the RV-8.

- The 72" blade diameter propellers are recommended for all tailwheel aircraft (except the RV-8 as noted above) to ensure adaquate ground clearance for those models."

i-bb5bbFT-M.jpg

Last edited:
I’m really puzzled why you would say that. I’ve installed a heated pitot/AOA in a flying plane that only had the simple pitot from Vans and was able to easily run wires, the AOA tubing, and the pitot mounting bracket.

I have a friend who did this with his RV-8, he didn't use the phrase "easy". I suppose it depends on your starting point.

My point is that it's much easier to install some electronics during the build phase, and therefore some decisions are made very early in the build.

Lest a newbie only gets one side of the argument regarding avionics purchases, let me give an alternative point of view to the “don’t buy your avionics until the very last instant before you put gas in your airplane” crowd. I’d argue that you should buy the avionics that fit your mission requirements whenever you want - and having them earlier allows for easier integration into the airframe.

Heresy you say? Well I believe in building to a set of requirements - figure out what the airplane is supposed to do for you, and write those requirements down. In the case of avionics, write down all the features and functionality you want, and then go shopping. When you find equipment that meets those requirements, add it to the list - when you have a good list, pick what you need from that list, and be happy - you have met your requirements!

Is there a valid reason to wait for the absolute latest, cutting-edge, brand-new-from-the-design-lab equipment? Sure! If your requirement is the have the absolute latest model equipment available, then you should wait. But that really is more about keeping up with the Jone’s than it is meeting an operational requirement.

Thinking back on every airplane I have built, I had a good idea what was going in the panel very early in the process. Occasionally that has changed during the build because of what I do for a living - test and evaluate new equipment. But in no case would the original equipment choice have left me with an airplane that wouldn’t do what I needed it to do.

Years ago, Stein Bruch and I used to present a forum at Airventure on “how to choose an EFIS”. We gave up on it when all the EFIS manufacturers had reached a point where the feature and function sets were all pretty much the same. At that point, we just told people to pick “what worked best with their brain” and go buy it. Avionics and EFIS equipment are so good these days it is hard to imagine what will be better - but I can reasonably accurately predict that it will always get more expensive. So if you know what you want, don’t be afraid to jump on a good deal.

The only argument I'd make against this philosophy is that if you buy too early, you're looking at potential end-of-life products earlier in your aircraft lifecycle.

I waited until later in the project to buy avionics, and glad I did. I ended up with Dynon systems and Garmin TSO'd navigator. BUT, even waiting as long as I did, it wasn't just a couple of months after I got things in-house that Garmin came out with the 750/650, and started EOLing the 430/530 line. Yeah, they'll still support it, but it's getting more and more expensive and likely to end soon. Fortunately, mine has been rock solid since the day I installed it (knock on wood), but had I been able to wait a bit longer, I might have bought many more years of support from Garmin for a 650 instead of looking at a few years until they stop supporting 430s at all. (Like they've done with the audio panel I have).

The only argument I'd make against this philosophy is that if you buy too early, you're looking at potential end-of-life products earlier in your aircraft lifecycle.

I waited until later in the project to buy avionics, and glad I did. I ended up with Dynon systems and Garmin TSO'd navigator. BUT, even waiting as long as I did, it wasn't just a couple of months after I got things in-house that Garmin came out with the 750/650, and started EOLing the 430/530 line. Yeah, they'll still support it, but it's getting more and more expensive and likely to end soon. Fortunately, mine has been rock solid since the day I installed it (knock on wood), but had I been able to wait a bit longer, I might have bought many more years of support from Garmin for a 650 instead of looking at a few years until they stop supporting 430s at all. (Like they've done with the audio panel I have).

I don’t disagree with you if you anticipate an extra-long build! Different manufacturers have different life-spans for their products - in general, then bigger guys will be able to support their products longer than the small guys. Ballpark, I’d say that EFIS’s older than ten years might be something to think about (although I can still get support for my 16-year-old GRT HX screens and equipment). Garmin’s GNS devices are, as you say, beginning to go EOL, but they are 25-year-old boxes - pretty amazing in the tech world.

So yes, supportability is going to be an issue if you get a really good deal on a GNS-430 today….but its not so much an issue on somethign only five years old (unless its from a small company that might not even be around five years from now….).

Paul

This would be my recommendation (if I were to make one) to the OP in regard to his original question. Wait. Things change. And never more-so than in today's world. YMMV. Cheers.

The basic Lycoming has not changed. Order it as soon as you know that you are not going to give up on the project.

...I'm also attending a "Fundamentals" workshop at Synergy Air here in Oregon to get a head start.

Well, Synergy Air in Eugene, OR cancelled both my April and now my May Fundamentals Class. Apparently not enough people signed up. They don't know yet when they will hold another class but it will now be after my first kit arrives.

I was REALLY relying on that class to give me a head start on building. Very disappointed :-(

Vans has several training/practice kits available. Which of these would you recommend?
  • Bag sheet metal
  • Blind rivet training project
  • RV training project - 1
  • Tool box kit
  • Light box kit

That is disappointing

Well, Synergy Air in Eugene, OR cancelled both my April and now my May Fundamentals Class. Apparently not enough people signed up. They don't know yet when they will hold another class but it will now be after my first kit arrives.

I was REALLY relying on that class to give me a head start on building. Very disappointed :-(

Vans has several training/practice kits available. Which of these would you recommend?
  • Bag sheet metal
  • Blind rivet training project
  • RV training project - 1
  • Tool box kit
  • Light box kit

And a bit surprising. Classes at Synergy Air South are oversubscribed and waitlisted. Sorry to hear yours were cancelled.

I suggest you look for an EAA fundamentals class (sheet metal) somewhere nearby. My experience with the EAA class vs. the Synergy class was not a positive one - but I took the EAA class at OSH. There were too many students, too few instructors and the tools were not very high quality. Others have had a good experience with the EAA classes elsewhere, though.

Suggest you wait to start building until you’ve taken a class somewhere. Other suggestion is to try and find an EAA Tech Counselor in your area. Offer them a beer or 24 to spend a day with you building the Vans practice kits. If I were in Sunriver (beautiful place BTW), I’d be happy to do that.

Last edited:
I had a good experience with the EAA sheet metal class in Oshkosh (but not during Airventure). I walked in knowing nothing about sheet metal construction and walked out with enough knowledge and confidence to start the practice kits and the -10 empennage. The class gives you a good foundation and (for me at least) the ability to understand and evaluate additional sources of info, like Section 5, YouTube videos, etc.

I'm still using my 25 year old Garmin GPS/Comm - works just fine.

Last edited:
I built my QB -6 in 2100 hours within a 12 month period. This works out at almost exactly 40 hours a week. At the end of the 12 months the aircraft was fully complete except for external Paint (which I subcontracted) and Paperwork - this actually took another 12 months to time of 1st flight.

If you enjoy building I think the process is highly addictive & immersive.

True story, about a month into the build I made a deal with the wife that she would bring me a cup of tea into the garage/workshop on the hour every hour - and not take away the empty cups. My side of the bargain was that I would come back into the house with no more than 6 empty cups !

Update

Well, I ordered my engine yesterday in order to take advantage of the sale that ends in a couple days. Of course, in order to do that you have to order all the Vans kits first. So I've now ordered all the RV-14A kits, the engine and the propellor. I haven't even built a workbench yet :)

I'm going to wait a while before I order the avionics. I plan to work with Steinair for that part of the project.

Vans was supposed to have the Beringer brake and wheel kit option available for order this month but as of right now, it's not on their website yet. I added a comment on my Fuselage and Finishing kit order that I wanted that option included. I have no idea how much it costs.

I got a request yesterday for final payment on the wing kit. If I understand correctly, that should be ready for pickup a month or so after final payment, right?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It has been very helpful as I start this daunting project.

Back