What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil quick drain hose

tass

I am going to do my first oil change on my own, and realized I never asked what kind of hose fits on the quick drain plug that someone else always brought along.

So - what kind of hose do I need to get?

I already have the other things I need:
* Oil (!)
* Container to drain it into
* Filter housing gasket
* Suction screen gasket

I am going to do my first oil change on my own, and realized I never asked what kind of hose fits on the quick drain plug that someone else always brought along.

So - what kind of hose do I need to get?

I already have the other things I need:
* Oil (!)
* Container to drain it into
* Filter housing gasket
* Suction screen gasket

I just use some clear hose I got at HD or Lowe's or someplace, dunno the ID, but the right size to fit snugly over the nipple. It's cheap stuff, just buy a few feet of several sizes and use whichever one fits best.

ETA: Don't forget to get a sample mid-drain to send for oil analysis! :)

I believe it is 3/8" ID hose-I use a fuel line from the local auto parts store.

Whatever 3/8" ID hose you have lying around. I have used old air hose and it works. Over time, the oil will soften the hose if it was not made for petroleum products.

There are better options than what I have used but they all cost more.

Thank you all! I searched quite a bit to find this, and everyone called it a "drain hose" with no further info.

I'll get a 3/8 hose and maybe a couple of surrounding sizes just in case. I didn't want to end up with a warm engine, removed cowling, and a hose that doesn't fit.

If the hose doesn’t fit, just set your oil catch bucket on something to bring it close.. that works too. The tempest filters don’t need any lubricant on the filter O-ring, the champion ones need either oil or Dow Corning dc4. I prefer the tempest as they are pre treated.. I do prefill the filter and let it settle and soak into the paper element. If you use a reusable filter, then I don’t know what they get for a seal..

The oil section screen used a AN900-16 crush gasket, tightened to 135degrees past hand tight.

I use cheap clear hose from the local hardware too.
Just be aware that even a snuggish fit may soften up and come loose as it heats up. I usually just snug a small cable tie on as well to stop it popping off the barb.

I did not see any mention of safety wire, safety wire pliers, filter cutter, torque wrench, oil sample kit, surgical gloves, rags,rags,rags in your list of supplies.

This will sound harsh, but your question implies a very limited understanding of the realities of what is required. I would suggest maybe you need an A&P to walk you through this and explain the critical points of each step.

I did not see any mention of safety wire, safety wire pliers, filter cutter, torque wrench, oil sample kit, surgical gloves, rags,rags,rags in your list of supplies.

This will sound harsh, but your question implies a very limited understanding of the realities of what is required. I would suggest maybe you need an A&P to walk you through this and explain the critical points of each step.

You're right I didn't mention those things but I have the bits I need - I knew I'd miss stuff when I wrote it out, but the items you mentioned are already in my toolbox (especially the most essential part, paper towels).

I've done it in the past a couple of times, but always had someone else with me, and they had their own equipment including the hose which I never confirmed the size of.

Maybe I'm taking the process a little too seriously, but I keep a quantity of the clear 3/8" I.D. hardware store grade vinyl tubing in a sealed box at the hangar. Whenever I do an oil change, I cut off a couple of feet from the stash so oil can make it to the drain bucket without too much of a mess. When the draining is complete, I toss the clear tubing. This way, the tubing is clean every time I take an oil sample.

Yeah, the first few seconds of draining should purge any crud that stuck to the oil soaked tube if I used the same hose over and over. But the hardware store tubing is cheap and this way ensures I have a pure sample of what's in the engine--and not what was in the tubing since the last oil change. My two cents...

And I agree with the other post that you may want to get some experienced help the first time you do an oil change. It's not difficult, but sometimes you don't know what you don't know. ;)

I have the Fumoto quick drain. It has a much larger drain diameter (1/2"?). I went down to the local auto parts store and had them cut me a 2 foot section of oil/gas resistant rubber tubing of the correct diameter for a couple of dollars.
It is easy to slip on the quick drain and to collect oil for a sample.

Back