What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new oil cooler and hoses - flush before install?

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm replacing my oil cooler and hoses (after metal contamination) with new ones from Vans. Should I flush these through with fuel or other solvent before installing them?

Yes, that's my question. I'm wondering if there's a risk of the new oil cooler and hoses having left-over contaminants from manufacture that i should worry about flushing out? Or is that unnecessary paranoia?

Phil, its a good idea, even though the assemblies were sealed. Something simple like non-clorinated brake cleaner in the can is fine, followed by blowing out the hose with air. Then look through the hose to visually confirm. Put a bright lite at one end and look through the hose, yes even if it has an angled fitting, you can still see the lite.

Full disclosure: Since we build the teflon FWF integral assemblies for Vans (identified by -1 in the part number), the assemblies are flushed after pressure testing and sealed with threaded plugs before they leave our production shop as shown here in the Kitplanes article: https://www.kitplanes.com/lifelines.

Tom

Awesome thanks Tom! So I should do that for the new oil cooler as well as the hoses?
Would this product be suitable? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ted-brake-cleaner-390-g-0381430p.html?loc=plp

The Caterpillar plant in Aurora IL uses miles of hydraulic hose a week. They take a foam plug moistened with oil and blow it through each hose. Tom is right, clean them then then install plugs for protection.

If you think it is contaminated with metal laden oil a solvent can be in order, but I would not use anything with more strength than naphtha or mineral spirits. No acetone, or lacquer thinner or the like. Pour in, shake and drain. Then blow through something to scrub the walls. I used an open cell foam plug like a lawnmower filter, or ear plugs for small hoses.

Back