What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solvent for Fuel Tank Sealant

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
I'm using the MC-236-B2 from Van's on my RV-12iS build.

Just finished the tank, waiting for it to cure before pressure testing.

I kinda made a mess of the outside of the tank. Smears of sealant all over the place. I'd sure like to clean it up before I install it.

What's recommended for cleaning up the excess sealant?

TIA!

joe

I put acetone on a rag and wipe the area that needs to be cleaned. I do it this way to avoid getting acetone where proseal should remain.

MEK (the real stuff, not the substitute) works best but is is very hazardous to your health.

Removing sealant

If the sealant has hardened then use paint stripper that contains methylene chloride, available from Spruce. Polygone will also remove it. The hardened sealer is difficult to remove and may take several applications of stripper to soak in.

If the sealant is still soft then use toluene, this is often an ingredient in gun wash or some paint thinners (check the safety data sheets to see what are the ingredients).

Good luck and remember your PPE!

MEK (the real stuff, not the substitute) works best but is is very hazardous to your health.

Chemically acetone is very similar to MEK and maybe not as bad for your health. Acetone is the solvent in nail polish remover.
(methyl methyl ketone [acetone] versus methyl ethyl ketone [MEK])
Acetone evaporates a bit faster than MEK.

I’ve found removing splashes of excess tank sealant easy enough by just picking away at it with my thumbnail. Follow up with a bit of metal polish, such as Autosol, and not a trace remains.
Works for me, but it takes a bit more time. The sealant doesn’t hang on to shiny aluminium all that well.
Cheers DaveH

Solvent

Whatever you decide. Don't lather the area with solvent. Work wround rivets as much as possible. The solvent can wick around the rivet and cause a leak.

Picked up both Acetone and MEK this morning. Then I found out the disposable vinyl gloves I was using when doing the sealant are worthless for either one.

What glove material works with these solvents?

MEK, Acetone, methylene chloride

All three of these chemicals act as anesthetics when their vapor is inhaled. That means they make a person dizzy, lightheaded, judgment impaired and uncoordinated (intoxication). Inhaling sufficient vapor in a closed space can (and has) resulted in death from coma and inhibited respiratory drive. An additional toxicity of methylene chloride is the fact that one of its metabolites is carbon monoxide (yes, that carbon monoxide). People with heart disease have experienced chest pain while using it (not to mention sudden cardiac death). The EPA has banned methylene chloride for use in consumer paint stripping products. (See: https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/ep...ethylene-chloride-consumers-paint-and-coating)

Acetone and MEK are highly flammable and will result in an explosion with the right vapor concentration (and an ignition source). Methylene chloride is less flammable but under certain circumstances will support combustion.

Regular, daily use for several years can cause permanent neurological (brain) injury. But, for most hobbyists, the bigger hazards are the short term intoxication and the fire/explosion hazard.

So, when the label says use in a well-ventilated space, they mean it. Since these substances are absorbed into the body both by inhaling the vapor in air and by direct penetration through the skin, best to use appropriate protection from inhalation (an organic vapor cartridge equipped and properly fitted respirator and non-permeable gloves) or, better yet, if possible, use outdoors.

The hazard is dose dependent so exposure to a small amount of these products or a low concentration in inhaled air is not as hazardous as exposure to large amounts of these products or a high concentration in inhaled air.

I found that a rubber glove does not degrade. I made my purchase at Walmart in the kitchen cleaning materials section. or farm supply store.

All three of these chemicals act as anesthetics when their vapor is inhaled. That means they make a person dizzy, lightheaded, judgment impaired and uncoordinated (intoxication). Inhaling sufficient vapor in a closed space can (and has) resulted in death from coma and inhibited respiratory drive. An additional toxicity of methylene chloride is the fact that one of its metabolites is carbon monoxide (yes, that carbon monoxide). People with heart disease have experienced chest pain while using it (not to mention sudden cardiac death). The EPA has banned methylene chloride for use in consumer paint stripping products. (See: https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/ep...ethylene-chloride-consumers-paint-and-coating)

Acetone and MEK are highly flammable and will result in an explosion with the right vapor concentration (and an ignition source). Methylene chloride is less flammable but under certain circumstances will support combustion.

Regular, daily use for several years can cause permanent neurological (brain) injury. But, for most hobbyists, the bigger hazards are the short term intoxication and the fire/explosion hazard.

So, when the label says use in a well-ventilated space, they mean it. Since these substances are absorbed into the body both by inhaling the vapor in air and by direct penetration through the skin, best to use appropriate protection from inhalation (an organic vapor cartridge equipped and properly fitted respirator and non-permeable gloves) or, better yet, if possible, use outdoors.

The hazard is dose dependent so exposure to a small amount of these products or a low concentration in inhaled air is not as hazardous as exposure to large amounts of these products or a high concentration in inhaled air.

Please remember that nail polish remover is acetone. People are not using rubber gloves and respirators to remove their nail polish.

MEK deserves a bit more respect for tox reasons but has been used for many years. It was available in big box stores. Methylene chloride like all chlorinated solvents should be used with caution with gloves and respirators recommended. Use care but …

For extensive MEK, lacquer thinner or acetone work I will double up my blue rubber gloves.
It is also a little easier to replace the gloves as they become soiled/damaged because sweat is not involved.

Back