What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Drilling for Nut Plates

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Drilling the wing spar for the nutplates requires the prepunched #40 holes to be opened up on the flange. Ideally with a a reamer, but for those who simply drilled and deburred - did you apply any primer to the underside of the hole where it's been deburred (before riveting). Thanks in advance.

No need for that.
Make sure you rivet the nut plates on before you countersink the #8 tank attach screw holes though.
Use the nutplate as a pilot for the #30 countersink.
Prime those countersinks.
Cheers!

Follow Richard's advice. This is also in the Vans build instruction too. The nutplate will serve as a guide and you get the perfect dimpled hole for the #8 screw

I didn’t prime the drilled and deburred holes, but I did touch up the countersinks with spraying some primer into a puddle on a scrap of cardboard and using a little brush.

Alodined mine. IIRC, for smaller holes, surface tension was enough to let a drop of alodine sit for a few minutes to work its magic; larger holes got alodine brushed on with a small painter's brush. Rinse well.

Follow Richard's advice. This is also in the Vans build instruction too. The nutplate will serve as a guide and you get the perfect dimpled hole for the #8 screw

I elected to use a piece of angle clamped to the flange (drilled and opened up all#19 holes), using it as a countersink pilot guide. I acknowledge there's many different ways.

Back